Weber vs Merkur Head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ugadawg, Jun 7, 2015.

1. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I always see the comparison of the Weber head to the EJ89 head, but in comparing the heads on my Weber and Merkur today, they look almost identical. The only differences I saw as the scallops on the safety bar and the blade gap. I don't have an EJ89, so I can't compare to it. Are the Merkur and EJ heads similar?

2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Even though the blade gap differences between the Weber PH, the EJ 89 and Merkur 34c is a difference of only 6-8 mm we forget to observe the blade exposure witch makes the head of the Weber PH in my opinion a more aggressive. I don't have the Weber DLC head but from what I've read the DLC is milder than the PH. Even though the Merkur 34c has a slightly smaller blade gap then the EJ 89 I feel the Merkur is a bit more aggressive due to the blade exposure. We seem to always mention blade gap but fail to mention blade exposure.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I think both of you are right. The Weber looks more like a Merkur head than an EJ. I don't have a 34c to compare to though. I would say the Weber feels a little more aggressive than the EJ and it does feel like the blade exposure is the difference. I think for me blade exposure is the most important factor in how aggressive a razor feels but it's also the most difficult to measure.

4. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

The Weber has a little bit more exposure, but it's hard to tell exactly how much with the naked eye. It's not a huge difference, but just enough to be noticeable.

5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I've owned all of the 34C, DE89 and Weber, and completely objectively I would rate how smooth they are in the same order with Weber being the smoothest. That may have nothing to do with how agressive they are, or what criterion you use to describe a razor as agressive, but they all seem to give me a pretty similar shave with a givien blade.

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I also forgot to mention that matching a blade to razor also is a factor. For instance, Astra SP blades work very well in my EJ 89 and Merkur 34-38c but not in my Weber PH, I get razor burn, where a Personna Israeli Red or Crystal shaves great

7. erdincarikan

erdincarikan New Member

EJ head is a very nice, mildly aggressive head. I wish they produced a stainless steel razor..