Weekly Chat: Coty Raw Vanilla

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Corey, May 31, 2009.

1. Corey

Corey Member

This week I'll be brining you a review of an aftershave splash that I rarely see mentioned in these forums: Raw Vanilla by Coty.

[​IMG]

This unassuming glass bottle, devoid of a true ingredients list, sports a label that hints at the potion contained within:

The fresh organic power of the rainforest captured in a fragrance for men. Rich vanilla, crisp leaves, teak and bamboo create a unique environment of natural warmth and pure masculinity.

Heavy. Does the solution live up to the promotion? Let's take a whiff.

Scent

As the name would imply, the main scent is comprised of a rich vanilla smell. It's strong, but not foul, as in Pinaud Clubman's Classic Vanilla. It has a warm vanilla scent that does indeed have undertones that are reminicent of a rain forest. That secondary smell reminds me of a heavily wooded area, rich with vegetation that has just received a heavy summer shower. The secondary scent mixes incredibly well with the main vanilla component to give a warm, earthy, pleasant scent. Unlike the aforementioned Clubman Classic Vanilla (which I use as comparison because it's the only other vanilla scent I have), there isn't a strong hit of something that smells like a putrid, rotten version of vanilla. The initial scent from the Raw Vanilla has a clean smell, similar to the scent of Classic Vanilla after the initial unpleasantries have faded.

Feel

As with other splashes that contain alcohol, Raw Vanilla will definitely let you know if you've had a bad shave. It has a nice sting upon application that is more intense around irritated areas. It does leave the skin feeling smooth after the initial sting wears off. It also has the added effect of feeling very warm, making it a nice splash to go with in cooler weather to keep a warm feeling going throughout the day. This feeling is probably not so preferable on a hot summer day though.

Longevity

Here is an area where a little pre-planning will save you a little frustration. The Raw Vanilla scent has some serious staying power. Where some splashes fade after a few minutes to an hour or two, this one keeps on going. I have caught hints of the scent a day after initially applying the splash to my skin. Keep this in mind when it comes time to choose an EDT/Cologne, as it may interfere with the overall fragrance you are looking to obtain. I find that it blends amazingly well with colognes and EDTs that have a hint of vanilla. The Raw Vanilla enhances this property well, and the earthy/foresty undertones add a new level to the proper cologne. On the other hand, colognes with a strong, citrusy smell seem to blend in a strange way. Again, keep this in mind. Due to the strength and long lasting nature of the scent, I typically use it as a light EDT to get me through the day. It has also blended rather well with Obsession Night Cologne.

Recommendation

If a vanilla scented after shave splash is something that you desire, you could easily do a lot worse than Raw Vanilla by Coty. It's an excellent, long lasting vanilla smell, mixed with wonderful earthy undertones that complement a variety of fragrances and works quite well alone. There is a nice burn letting you know what's going on, and soothing, warming reaction once on your face. A little searching will get you a bottle of after shave as well as a bottle of matching cologne for about 15 bucks.

Happy shaving everyone (and splashing)!

2. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Very nice review Corey! I love the smell of vanilla but dont know about in an AS. More of a woodsy and mentholated guy but still sounds interesting and love your Pinaud description!

3. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Sounds and looks very appealing.

4. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Great review buddy...

I think the stuff is just as bad, though. :D I hated both of them...

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'll have to keep this in mind come wintertime....sounds nice. Where can I find it?

6. Corey

Corey Member

I actually purchased mine second hand, but I've seen it in either stand alone container or in a combo pack with the cologne on Amazon.

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

when I bought it a long time ago, I found it at CVS...

8. Truckman

Truckman New Member

hmm...I don't recall seeing this at CVS when I was there recently, although I wasn't looking for it, either....

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Nice job Corey. Thanks for that review. This is another one I hadn't heard of; sounds like I may like it. There's nothing wrong w/ vanilla and rainforest. You're a little harsh on the Pinaud Vanilla. I actually kind of enjoy that splash especially after it settles in for awhile. Anyway I've heard of Coty, but never seen this one in particular. Have to keep my eyes pealed. Thanks again.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for the review! I would be tempted to add lime to it. I love vanilla lime for some reason. :)