Weekly Chat-Luxurious La Toja AS.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by 1969Fatboy, May 16, 2009.

1. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

As the guest reviewer this week I decided to talk about an aftershave that does not get that much attention here. La Toja aftershave splash. I honestly love this stuff! For those of you who have not experienced LaToja products you really are missing out! Their shave cream is incredible and I have heard rave reviews about the shave stick which I have not tried. I couldnt find much about the actual company except for this.

La Toja Toiletries from Spain
    The original name for this famous soap is "Sales de La Toja." La Toja is named after the tiny island off Galicia where it was founded. The mineral springs there were said to have healing powers and La Toja began making soap from the spa's mineral salts in early 20th Century.

My impressions of the splash..... Very pleasant and light scent which in a way reminds me of a subdued version of Skin Bracer Blue but much more defined and I get a slight herbal note out of it as well. This AS does not stay with you long and will not interfere with your cologne at all. I could not locate a full ingredient list but I do know that it has (not in order) Allantoin, vitamin B5, mineral salts, and menthol. The menthol is light and I would say in the same ballpark as Proraso. Wont freeze your face but will get the job done and leave your face feeling nice and cool. In fact I would say that the characteristics of this match Proraso pretty well except of course for the scent. Very little burn if any, absorbs quick, and really leaves your face feeling nice and soothed.

I am picky about after shaves as most of us are. La toja is one of those I believe everyone should at least try. Mark at www.superlather.com sells samples. I put it in the same family as Proraso and Speick. It leaves your face feeling so nice:D It also quickly eliminates any small weepers as well. The scent is hard to explain but it is light, refreshing, and pleasant. Not overpowering at all. Their are only a couple vendors I have found that carry this fine aftershave and I would strongly suggest Leon at www.vintagescent.com. He has the 150ml bottle for 10 euro and shipping is only 2 euro to the US:eek: That is right about $16 shipped:D Leon is a pleasure to deal and really carries some fine products. I would strongly suggest the Lavanda SC as well.

Bottom line...this aftershave is a treat and a pleasure to use. I think it is a must have in anyones shaving arsenal. Its not inexpensive but still quite affordable and as always, a little goes along way!

[​IMG]

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

good writeup. I'm tempted to buy some now!

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Do it Mike. You won't regret it. And if you decide you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

I love the La Toja splash, from the sample I got from Superlather. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle, and if Mike doesn't like his, then I'll have two. :D

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

But Shawn, what about the most important question of all . . . how well does it pair with Coates Lime?????:happy102

But seriously, it sounds tempting. If it is similar to Speick, as you claim, that sounds like some good stuff. Right now, Speick is at the top of my AS pack, except when I need a little menthol (or a lot).

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'll hook you up with a sample when mine comes in...probably not for a few weeks, though...it depends on how my sales in the b/s/t go (which I still haven't gotten around to posting yet...) :D

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

que VIVA ESPAÑA!
    Its an excellent after shave as well as the balm(both sensitive and regular),and the good thing,smells GREAT!better than the soap or the cream.
    btw,theres a luxury version of this after shave that smells the same but has a little bit more of menthol,this is the link to it:
    http://www.latoja.com/manantiales/
    go to "linea de afeitado" and you will see the splash and the balm.Great products both of them!

7. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Very nice write-up Shawn! :happy088

8. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Nice, detailed review Shawn. Thanks for your diligence. I've always been curious about this one but have never pulled the trigger. I'm on sort of a shave purchase hiatus right now, but when the urge strikes again I may have to keep this one near the top of my list. Thanks again. Good work.

9. Dink

Dink New Member

La Toja is some good stuff, excellent skincare and smells great, reminds me a bit of Musgo although subtler. I bought the stick, cream and AS from Leon for a very reasonable price, the stick is awesome. I have a 4 ml decant from superlather that I haven't used so if anyone wants to try this guess what my favorite movie is and I will send it and a sample of the cream to the person who guesses correctly.

Cheers,
    David

10. Henrique

Henrique New Member

OK. I now have to buy this. Thank you! :rolleyes: ;)

The supermaket near the border where I buy spanish products only has the AS in a pack: "Toiletry Bag/AS/Shaving gel". I guess that someone (father, father-in-law) is going to enjoy a can of gel...

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Interesting....is it the regular A/S, or the "luxury" A/S that is found on the website? I think on the website they sell kits like you describe with the "luxury" A/S....Teiste says it is more mentholated than the regular, and maybe a slightly different scent, too?

12. CutMan

CutMan Member

David,

Any chance ... "to Kill a Mockingbird" ?

I also love La Toja! Using the "sensitive" shave cream now, and am tempted by the AS Balm. Gonna see if Mark will decant some balm for me. If not, I may have to order the Splash.

13. Dink

Dink New Member

You are correct sir. Send me a PM with your info and I will send it out ASAP, the cream is the regular.

Cheers,
    David

14. Henrique

Henrique New Member

The regular one.

I guess I'll have to find a way to try both..:happy102

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

If you're that close to the border, get a Post Office box at the nearest Spanish Post Office, and have the website ordered items sent there. Then you can just go pick them up, come back to Portugal and try them out! And send me mine! :rolleyes: :happy102

16. Henrique

Henrique New Member

Actually I live about 370 Kms away. But my father-in-law was born there and we go there 3-4 times a year.

(nice try, tough :happy102)

17. TBoner

TBoner Member

Similar to Speick is high praise, indeed. I have an order ready to go from Leon, and I believe I'll add a bottle of this to the cart. I love the fragrance and performance of the soap and cream, and I imagine this will only heighten the experience, in terms of both scent and skincare.

Thanks for a terrific review.

Regards,
    Tim

18. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Tim. while you at it get the aftershave balm as well.

19. gaelic841

gaelic841 Member

My son is on his way to Spain with my shopping list.

20. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Well, call him and tell him to triple everything... :happy102 :happy102 :happy102 (actuallly, I'm waiting on an order from The Vintage Scent Company... :D impatiently, I might add...:D)