Weird Shaving Contraption - Ronson Safety Razor - Pics

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jgreenepa, May 9, 2020.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

The Ronson safety razor is a relatively weird shaving contraption. I’ve been messing with it, and wanted to share some of the results with my shave brothers here at TSD. Is this a weird razor, or what?
    9F64E6DE-2BDE-47E4-948D-8502F8D4D618.jpeg 2A7E5D36-D76D-4D74-9EB2-8306256B77B6.jpeg F650FFA3-F3ED-4816-83E3-D7CCA83215E2.jpeg 65F88187-0324-47D8-98B9-671F554085A2.jpeg 8988AAE1-6A90-4E3B-B222-D3C92B141B2F.jpeg B2D81E60-54E2-4CF0-A10A-50A3B3BC2B72.jpeg 1674E75E-1EF4-45D7-8E1E-94D0B328644E.jpeg D13DEA50-76ED-4947-822A-A9ADEEE4D514.jpeg

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    inconceivable.jpg

Tedolph and jgreenepa like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Yowsers!

Can't wait to hear the shave report.

jgreenepa likes this.
  4. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I like odd razor very interesting

jgreenepa likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Proprietary blade...how hard to come by if one goes bad?

jgreenepa likes this.
  6. jgreenepa

Already posted in the 30DC thread, Rich.

richgem likes this.
  7. jgreenepa

They’re hard to find, but one can use a regular DE with a similar mod to what is done to a DE blade to use a Gibbs adjustable. However, I’ve been using a Schick injector blade as was suggested by a shave buddy who refers to this razor as his favorite. It’s a bit fiddly, but does work well.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Thanks!

9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’ve never used mine. It just sits quietly in my shave museum.
    I’ve got some blades so I suppose I should give it a run one of these days.
    It seems like it’s too bulky for under the nose.

jgreenepa likes this.
  10. jgreenepa

You’re probably right about the nose, John. I have a goatee, so that’s not an issue for me. But the razor shaves beautifully. You should give it a shot sometime. I don’t own any safety razors that I don’t use.

Dave in KY, John Beeman and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

awesome razor set and pics Jeff..cool score..

jgreenepa likes this.
  12. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

There were a lot of "kewl" gimmicked safety razors made, some fairly successful, some that were very way out and obscure. Some worked okayish, some still have their fans, like the Valet Autostrop, the Rolls, the Shake-Sharp, the Durham, and more. Most are superior to an ordinary DE or SE razor only in the kewl/gadget factor or the non-throwaway blade. Hey, nothing wrong with that. Some fascinating stuff out there, just not all that practical for the most part. Why are there so many minty Rolls razors? Because a lot were bought as gifts but never used or used only once or twice by the recipient, and they were just too kewl (and they were gifts!) to toss. I have several wedge safety razors of various self-stropping and non types, but I haven't actually used any of them in probably 10 or 15 years. Even my Rolls sets, I don't hone or strop in the case. I hone on the same hones I use for straight razors, and ditto the strops, cause that just works better.

I have never owned one of those Ronson self stroppers. Seen pics, that's it. Fascinating piece of gear, though. Thanks for posting!

jgreenepa likes this.
  13. jgreenepa

The Ronson works with a standard injector blade with some fiddling or a modified standard DE. With a standard DE One just needs to nip out a rectangular section in the center of both blade tabs. I’m planning on trying it with stacked DE blades at some point, just out of curiosity. A FB shave brother shaves with one as a daily driver using injector blades.

gorgo2 and richgem like this.
  14. jgreenepa

Thanks, Gary. The razor was part of a huge Ronson collection in an estate in British Columbia. It’s in excellent condition.

15. jgreenepa

You’re welcome. I have a Rolls, but only used it once. An experienced Rolls collector at a Shave Collectibles Meeting I attended last October honed the Rolls I purchased from him. It was a pretty rough shave. I gave it a week, but it just wasn’t for me.

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

The Ronson is sure a interesting looking razor, it had a lot of thought put into it to make it a self sharpening razor. That is what some of us like about Vintage razors, they are just interesting to look at and if lucky use one like this one in the modern times.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with this interesting razor Jeff.

jgreenepa likes this.
  17. jgreenepa

You’re welcome Ron! I have really been enjoying shaving with this razor. My favorite vintage razor, though, is the Shake Sharp.

PLANofMAN and Ron R like this.
  18. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

There is one of those near me. I have never bought it due to the proprietary blade issue. It is a beautiful razor. Ive always been tempted to buy it.

jgreenepa likes this.
  19. jgreenepa

The Ronson doesn’t require proprietary blades. It works beautifully with regular Schick Injector blades.

20. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

How does that work?
    It's been awhile since I looked at it. How do you load an injector blade into it?