Weishi 9306 vs Gillette Superspeed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Jan 18, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!! Very well said!!

2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

To the extent that this is true, it's more about learning the right technique for the particular tool you're using. Razors and blades are made of varying materials to varying degrees of quality, and each has its own quirks and proper technique to master.

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not going into that with you again.

4. Michael_W

Good, because I don't want to get into it either, ha ha! I don't mean to start anything unpleasant, just provide my own opinion.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

When I first started DE shaving I thought that the only way to get a really great shave was to master Muhle R41, Red Tip, Slim on 9 or a razor of higher efficiency. Though after my technique improved and I mastered razor I thought were suppose to be the "best"; I return to what is commonly considered mild razors "lowbrow" razors ..... Techs, Flares, Knacks, and bakelites. I enjoy my one and buff pass with resulting consistent amazing shaves. I would contend that if a person needs an efficient razor or many passes to get a superior shave; they have yet to master their technique or tool.

A hammer is a hammer
    -
    A screwdriver is a screwdriver
    -
    A razor is a razor

................. learn how to use your tool to its optimal best.

:eatdrink013:

Leo K., Daywalker, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Michael_W

Alright, I brought my long-handled PVD-coated Van Der Hagen Weishi the last couple of days and shaved with it using a fresh Dorco Prime Platinum blade. Soap yesterday was PAA Outdoorsman's Friend CK6 formula. Today's was Mitchell's Woll Fat soap. The results are not bad at all, nice BBS shave, but the Dorco blade is quite sharp and so I had to adjust my technique to suit the combination. The Weishi seems to work best with an Astra Superior Platinum or a Treet Black Beauty, as those offer nice close shaves with little to no irritation and few to no nicks.

7. Michael_W

Well, there IS a difference between a hammer with a wood handle and solid 316L stainless steel head, and a plastic handled hammer with a zamac head. It's still a hammer, but obviously you wouldn't use the latter for heavy duty hammering.

8. brit

brit in a box

gillettes de razors ruled the planet for 100 plus years and have given generations of great shaves to millions of different people with varying degrees of success.dial in the razor and most will give fine bbs shaves with proper technique.the differences lie with blade exposure,blade coatings and sharpness rates..some folks have wire for facial hair,some have fluff.the weishi is a cheap modern copy of a gillette tto style razor..beyond that it doesn't matter much.one man's best shaver is another's worst..take it for what it is..and enjoy your process.there is no best combo or blade or razor..

Ijustmissedthe50s, Hembree and Enrico like this.