Weishi razor plastic internals?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by realtore!!!, Apr 27, 2022.

1. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

If read a few places lately that while Weishi razors are externally brass, the internal twist to open mechanism is plastic. Has anyone verified this? Or taken one apart for that matter? Would seem a bummer if a well made brass razor had plastic internals.

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Mine looked like it had plastic internals.

Hogie likes this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

MrDaniel's likes this.
  4. MrDaniel's

MrDaniel's Well-Known Member

Sadly I do not own the razor anymore. Lets say that I'm clumsy, and the razor did not enjoy the tile floor in my bathroom..

I realize I might not be adding anything useful to this thread without pictures, my apologies.

Sara-s likes this.
  5. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

That’s fair. If you google “cheap Chinese razors” one of the first things that comes up is a “top 5” thread from a vendor who says the internals on Weishi razors are plastic while everything else is plastic. I’d post the link but I’m not sure I’m allowed to post vendor links here. Either way if it’s true it sure is a bummer that an all brass razor would be ruined with cheap internal parts. I quite like the way the Weishi shaves, but it sounds like it won’t be a long lasting razor.

Ron R likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I owned a few Weishi's about 10 or 12 years ago. They were acceptable shavers at the time. Some of them had better finishes than others, but I never cut one open to find out what was inside.

7. brit

brit in a box

i use mine to store a currently used blade between razor changes..it should last for years..;)

Frank Shaves, Hogie and Daywalker like this.
  8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Weishi was my first safety razor purchase when I re-entered Safety Razor Shaving again. I have not used it in a while. It did give a nice shave for the price. I got mine for $16 last fall. It reminds me of the old Gillette TTO razors. I have 3 old Gillette's now so, I use them instead of the Weishi. Maybe I will give it away at some point. I am trying to get my little brothers into DE razors. Most people I talk to about the old safety razors, they say they like their "heated multi-blade cartridges" even tho I say they are junk and only created to make money. Not to give you a better shave. Most see the safety razors as past history and grin at me like I am an idiot for suggesting they try one.

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i get a similar response, most of the time..but have helped a few who had a miserable experience with carts.they are now happily shaving with vintage gillettes.,or de in general.:)

DrStrange and Hogie like this.