Welcome one and all

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Scorpio, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You are now part of a ground breaking forum. A new era in shaving forums. We had been discussing and preparing for this new frontier and now it is a reality. We now present a section dedicated to the discussion of soapmaking, both Cold Process and Melt & Pour. We are going to share recipes, scents, tips for bath soaps and shaving soaps and talk about all things about soap making. We are also going to talk about lotions and lotion making, hand and body. Last but not least a section that I believe will also attract a lot of attention, The Special Projects forum. In this forum you will be able to share your ideas about how to improve that special place we all love, our shave den. Everything from handmade brush holders, razor displays, shelves, brush displays and anything that you think will help make your shave den look unique. A "how to" section for those with the inclination to tinker.

Please keep in mind that we are here to help you learn new skills and have fun at the same time.

We are honored to have amongst our members some of the premier soapmakers and craftmen in the shaving world. I believe we can all benefit from their knowledge and expertise. There will be tutorials on soapmaking, a step by step presentation for those interested in trying your hand at his craft. I have been making bath and shaving soaps for over a year. Mike has been making soap for about 8 months. We have had a great time making soaps. If we can so can you. JoAnna got me started and I have never looked back. I got hooked. We will do our best to answer questions and make sure we all enjoy this ground breaking section. No other site has this claim to fame...We are the first. We should all be proud of this accomplishment.

Again, welcome to this new section and enjoy.

Raf

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

This is just awesome! I used to make soap a few years ago but stopped, only to just recently rediscover it. I'm looking forward to see what this part of the forum brings and hope to be able to pitch in from time to time.

My present project is to learn how to make a cream from CP soap.

Thank you for bringing this to us!

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Granted I don't know making soap from apple butter, I spent some time reading the "Fragrance calc" thread and this is going to be very informative and interesting. I am working on a "special project" that I'll share when it's done. Congrats on "Inside the Den".

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Good Luck on the project Steve.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Mmmm.. apple butter! Sounds delicious!

Looking forward to hearing more about your special project! :signs021

6. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I think this is a really nice addition to the forum! When my wife to be starts making soap again, I'll have her hit this place up.

She's already made about 5-6 batches and we're down to the last 20 or so bars, so sh should be starting up again pretty soon.

7. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

You will need both KOH & NAOH to make a cream soap.

Issy

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I know, I just can't find a supplier of KOH :(

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Sweet, thanks guys for sharing the wealth of knowledge ;)

Can't wait for the additional information, I will be diving in here pretty soon myself....a few things left to buy still though :)

10. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

This is such a delightful part of shaving that I am stoked to see all this forum has for us.
    Thanks
    Tom

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Have you tried Ebay?

12. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

To be honest, I haven't. The reason is that I don't know if it's legal to send chemicals in the mail, from US or within EU. Well, I sort of assumed it wasn't, really. The Swedish equivalent to ebay doesn't have any.

A side note: Ebay.se was closed down, they couldn't compete with the local alternative, even though they owned it! Well, they still make the money.. but it's an interesting observation.

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Johan,

Can you check with any local chemical supply houses? Perhaps a swimming pool supply house will have some
    Potassium Hydroxide 90% Purity (Caustic Potash)

I do think you may have an issue with shipping as all the suppliers I have seen will not ship outside the US...

http://www.chemistrystore.com/potassium_hydroxide.htm

14. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Check with your local pharmacy. They should at least be able to order it for you. That's where I get all my stuff, Glycerine, Menthol etc...

15. MrShaveIt

MrShaveIt New Member

Great Stuff!