Well, I got the Khaki set but...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by McGrande, Mar 22, 2019.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

The other day when I spotted this set, I just snapped a pic and posted here to see what you guys thought about it as I'm not a collector. Went back today, slapped my $12.72 on the counter, shop keeper took it out of the display case and put it in a bag. As I'm thinking I got a steal of a deal I made a hasty exit.

As you'll see in the pics there are two major cracks in the handle. The way it was positioned in the case in the store prevented a casual observer (idiot non-collector) from noticing this until getting home with it. I guess the shop keeper knew her stuff after all! No worries as I'm only out a few bucks. Very interesting item for me anyway.

The top cap and base plate are in really good condition as is the blade box. There is some writing on the top of the carry case but it's very faded. I can make out the following: AL B05 A.J. Co. 119

The serial number on the base plate is: E750850
    Khaki.JPG Khaki 1.JPG Khaki 2.JPG Khaki 3.JPG Khaki 4.JPG Khaki 5.JPG Khaki 6.JPG

Rev579, Frijolero, CrustyCat and 7 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The cracks can be repaired. It's a pretty cool razor, in my opinion.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Cracks in these handles is very common. That's one of the more severe I've seen, but it can be repaired, or you can find a different handle cheap to replace it. You still got a heck of a deal!

Even if I saw the cracks, I'd have bought it in a second!

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can fix that handle. Remove the end caps use either something like loctite plumber and marine adhesive or a 2 part epoxy that is for plumber / marine, glue it or epoxy from the inside and use ring clamps at least 3 in this case to clamp it down while it sets. You can then glue or epoxy on the collar and ball end afterwards. Just put something between the clamps and handle so they don't accidentally get bonded. You'll still see the cracks but it will be solid and stronger tensile wise than the brass itself afterwards.

6. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. I may try the repair route.

wristwatchb, CrustyCat, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. That.....

Still nice for a 1918 model.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It can be weighted while it's open.

178-bplatoon, CrustyCat and brit like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png

Rev579 and CrustyCat like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Weighted??? What forever for?

CrustyCat and brit like this.
  11. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Personalty I would buy a replacement from razoremporium.. the broken one is a monument of time.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Could be cheaper to just pick up a beater OLD with a better handle. Then you have a vintage handle on a vintage head.

Frijolero, CrustyCat and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

anything old type or new with a ball end handle has cracks, its their nature. my mint new deluxe has a cracked handle. it was their weak point.you scored a cool piece of history for a few bucks. it is a replaceable component.razor emporium has a nice replica handle.if you just want to display it its repairable..not a loss..

14. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Yup, nice score. I think they are 25.00 at razor emporium.

Weasel640 likes this.
  15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Because I like them to feel a bit heavier.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    178-bplatoon likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice score! Once the handle is repaired, you'll be all set!

brit likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Gotcha

Terry and brit like this.
  18. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Even paying to get the replacement handle, for $12.72 you still got a good deal.

Like others have said, the Razor Emporium handle is a perfect replacement. This video talks about the issue with the handle and their modern replacement.

The handles can be gotten here: http://www.razoremporium.com/gillet...versally-threaded-solid-brass-factory-nickel/

Here is a picture of mine with an original Gillette Old Type Head, from their (sold out) World War 1 era Khaki kit. I think the biggest tell, is that the knurling is more defined on the modern replacement.

IMG_20190601_121133_812.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    PatrickA51, brit and Terry like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've seen complete razors for sale which can be bought cheaper than buying the repro replacement handle. I bought a whole complete set with blade bank, cheaper than getting the handle from Razor Emporium, shipping included. Just gotta keep searching, one will pop up.

Rev579 and brit like this.
  20. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Yes there are some that pop up. But the vast majority of the do have the cracks. Many less sever than the Op's, but still cracked. As the Op mentioned, he's not a collector and probably not got a horse in the race to sit and watch for a pristine example to come up for an affordable price... For what it is the Razor Emporium handle is price very reasonably.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.