Well, it started as a Bay Rum aftershave...

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Porter, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I like DIY projects, so when I saw "Homemade Bay Rum aftershave", I knew I had to do it. I started out going for a bay rum aftershave, but I had a little trouble finding the Bay Laurel EO, so I ened up just leaving it out and adding in some Bay Leaves and a little extra spices. The mixing was by no means scientific, but here's the general gist of what ended up in there:
    4oz Spiced Bay Rum
    2oz ouzo (didn't have Vodka, and I don't drink much anyway, so I figured, why not?)
    20z witch hazel
    5 bay leaves
    1 cinammon stick
    5 ground peppercorns
    a few pieces of cut up ginger
    pinch of all-spice
    pinch of cloves
    half an orange rind
    2 drops bergamot EO
    2 drops wintergreen EO
    5-6 drops Peppermint&Rosemary EO
    half a tablespoon each of glycerin and aloe vera once it was all done

Mixed it all together, let it sit for 2-3 weeks ( I know I'm supposed to do it for longer, but patience isn't my best virtue) and voila! I've no idea what real Bay Rum is supposed to smell like, but this one is more Christmas-cake like. I added the Peppermint&Rosemary EO on a whim and it actually goes pretty well with the overall scent profile, it lightens the smell a little bit in the "finish" of the aftershave.
    Luckily, my Franks Red Hot Sauce bottle emptied out around the time I was done brewing the aftershave, so after a thorough washing, here it is!..... In a side-wise picture. Damn. Well, there it is. It's a little murky, and I can still see some extra spices floating around in there (put the mixture through a coffee filter), but I don't get any irritation, so no complaints here. A nice little alcohol burn, some good skincare, and an enjoyable scent afterwards. Probably not much like Bay Rum, but still good for me. Homemade Bay Rum.jpeg

2. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Well, making your own. That is too cool! I like that. Guess I need to do a search and see what I can find. Thanks for shareing.

3. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

If you search for "DIY bay rum", then you should find a thread on it. Have fun!