Welsh slate stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Brickman301, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

Hey, back!

2. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Welcome back

3. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome back. I hope you have a good excuse.

SevenEighth likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy088:

6. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Honed up a newly acquired razor tonight on the Welsh slate stones. I was so excited to hone this razor, I didn’t even polish the blade before I honed it! Lol. Oh well, maybe I’ll remember to do it before I hone it the next time. I used all 3 stones tonight, with a little soapy water. Didn’t count any laps, just kept making laps, until I could feel some resistance. Its almost like the blade wants to stick. Once I started feeling that, I’d move to the next stone. Every time I use these stones, I’m getting a little more confident. I’ve now used them both with and without a slurry. I think I like using soapy water, and progressing through all 3 stones the best. Although I have used just 1 stone with a slurry and got great results as well. Maybe I’ll just use both methods, to kinda switch it up every once in a while. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M14Shooter, mrchick, gssixgun and 3 others like this.
  7. SevenEighth

[​IMG]

This arrived today...

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

THAT !!!!!
    Now you are getting it, when you start to trust your own senses more than any honing "Recipes" you are getting there..

Congrats

9. SevenEighth

Top: AJ Dragon's Tongue, AJ LLYN MELYNLLYN
    Middle: Inigo Jones Dragon's Tongue, 3 AJ stones: 8K,12K,15K
    Bottom: Gwespyr, and 2 Lyn Idwal

The Inigo Jones is proving tiresome to lap, but where I have, the surface it coming up finer than the AJ Dragon's Tongue. I am looking forward to using it.

The 15K AJ stone is very rough and I think will need lapping before use.

The Gwespyr slightly bows after soaking. As is it a sandstone I am assuming it will need to soak before use. Wondering whether to lap the concave side and leave the convex side as is as a convex stone.

Taking my time to handle the stones and research them before trying anything drastic. [​IMG]

Arnout and DaltonGang like this.
  10. SevenEighth

Lapped the Gwespyr, Inigo Jones, and the new AJ stones.

I had to take quite a layer off the Gwespyr but it has shaped up nicely. The Inigo Jones was a pain to even out, but seems to be a finer stone than the AJ Dragon's Tongue.

Reset the bevel on a TI. The Gwespyr works nicely as a bevel setter. The progression ran smoothly on the new AJ stones. I'm not completely convinced about the finishing capabilities of the "15k" AJ stone, in comparison to a Charnley Forest or a Water of Ayr. I will experiment with water and glycerine I think. Or end on a CF or WoA in future.

How do other people find the 15k Welsh slate?

11. DaltonGang

Slow, but very capable.

SevenEighth likes this.
  12. SevenEighth

In which case I will try your method with the Palmolive next time.

13. DaltonGang

I just use a container, large enough to soak my stones. The Welsh don't need to be soaked, but my synthetics do. . I use the soapy water from this container, to put on the Welsh Stones.

M14Shooter, SevenEighth and Zykris like this.
  14. SevenEighth

2nd attempt much better.

Much better is an understatement. The result was excellent. Glycerin instead of soap. Will try soap next time. I guess the same principle though.

I have refreshed a blade on my old AJ Dragon's Tongue, Llyn Melynllyn followed by a Charnwood all with oil. This works well in combination.

The stones give a lot of feedback if the razor isn't right. I have two matching sheffield razors. One has always shaved perfectly. The other... Not so much. You can immediately tell which is which from the stones.

15. DaltonGang

I dont add soap to the stones, like glycerin. I add soap to a dish of water, and use the soapy water to lubricate the stones. Sorry if I have confused you.

16. SevenEighth

You were perfectly clear. I just hadn't got around to soapy water that's all - wanted to try glycerin first.

DaltonGang likes this.