Wet Shaving and Mental Health

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 5, 2022.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Seeing all these mass shootings recently has made me more introspective lately. The one thing these troubled youths all had in common is mental illness, and I wonder if wet shaving could have prevented these tragedies?

Hear me out...

People don't realize that this hobby is a lifeline for some people. The therapeutic rituals, the self-care and grooming aspects, the scents, the daily routine, all of these are powerful tools in the fight to maintain good mental health.

If you have a friend who is struggling with depression or a slovenly appearance, introduce them to wet shaving. It might improve their sex life, it might even save their lives, or someone else's.

I know several people who credit the switch to wet shaving as the process that got them out of depression... and into debt, but that's a different problem, with simpler solutions.

Keithmax, Lancre, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I can see that it surely can not harm the persons self respect for himself shaving. Mental health can be a chemical imbalance in the brain and if a person thinks positive as much as he or she can it surely can not hurt with some good humour once in a while does a lot of good for soul.
    Some folks can not be helped without medicine because it is how certain brain disease works from my understanding. There will always be mentally ill folks but a large percentage if it is depression, bi-polar, head injuries, trauma, drugs, overload of stress.....can get out of that rut in life and blossom again hopefully (life is to short to get in a rut).

Keithmax, Lancre, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Exercise and sunlight can also do wonders.

...and yes, some mental illnesses can only be treated with medication.

4. brit

brit in a box

i will say.wetshaving kept the spirits up during the last 2 years of lockdowns.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, Lancre and 5 others like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

For sure on that one!

6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

One only has to look at half of my shaving stockpile to realize that I have completely lost my mind since taking up the hobby.

That being said, mental health ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

There’s medication you say?

Does it come in a barbershop scent?

Keithmax, Lancre, joamo and 7 others like this.
  8. ajhzkajahsia

ajhzkajahsia New Member

I totally get where you're coming from with the introspection after witnessing these tragic mass shootings. Mental illness is indeed a common factor, but when it comes to wet shaving, while it can be a therapeutic hobby for some, it's important to remember that it's not a guaranteed solution for preventing such tragedies. It's great that it has helped people find a sense of routine and self-care, but addressing mental health requires a comprehensive approach that goes beyond grooming rituals. By the way, have you ever heard of the prayer for depression and anxiety? It's worth exploring different avenues for support. Stay safe, and take care!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    Hembree, Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think anyone ever said it was a "guaranteed solution." As for mass shootings, the media and government bias towards skewing those numbers is ridiculous. 1000 times that number die from medical malpractice in the U.S. alone. You're more likely to be struck by lightning than die in a mass shooting event.

Much of mental health is just cognitive wiring, and a good first step towards rewiring your brain is to think of 3 things you are grateful for every day. At the end of 30 days, you will have rewired your brain to be more positive and less negative.

Hembree, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And some arguably are caused by them, but that's another topic.

Lancre, Hembree, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You might find this podcast episode interesting:
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-.../the-big-pharma-lie-antidepressants-34294689/
    These guys are bona fide psychologists, not random Internet denizens with an opinion. But I digress.

I think that traditional shaving can be a calming, beneficial thing. As such, it could certainly contribute to positive mental health.

12. Lupanoss

Lupanoss New Member

Hey PLANofMAN, you're absolutely right that mental health is often about cognitive wiring and that simple practices like daily gratitude can make a difference. While these methods may not be a 'guaranteed solution,' they are steps in the right direction.

However, when it comes to severe mental health issues that could potentially lead to crises, it's crucial to remember that professional help is often necessary. Whether someone is struggling with mental illness, severe depression, or anxiety, talking to a qualified professional is invaluable. The mental health crisis hotline is an excellent resource for immediate support and can direct people to the help they need.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
    Lancre and ChrisB like this.
  13. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

:rofl:

John Beeman likes this.