What’s the mildest safety razor you can buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TlawYensid, Jul 1, 2018.

1. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

I currently have Muhle R41. I want to replace it because I just don’t like the aggressiveness anymore. Not a lot of margin for error for me when I need to be quick. What’s the mildest razor you can buy?

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Some of the best mild razors are the Gillette tech and the edwin jagger de89

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Merkur 34c

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

cliffb599 likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Shavecraft 101 or a newer style Tech are the mildest DE’s I’ve used.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Keep it and learn to use it better..... But get a super speed too.

PanChango likes this.
  6. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

milder in blade feel than the Mamba?

7. PickledNorthern

Never tried a Mamba. Don’t use much for DE’s anymore.

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have a Parker Variant. Quite mild on the lower settings. Dial it up if you want too. Other adjustables may be fine too. People speak well of the Rockwell with interchangable plates.

The Focus R48 Dynamic SE Razor is really mild. Loading half a DE correctly is troublesome. It is used differently than more traditional safety razor offerings but always has the right angle and will not hurt you if loaded correctly. I have two and used them primarily for the last 3 months or so.

9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Personally I have found many razors milder than the mentioned DE89. While I have not used Merkur 34C, it is often described as about the same mild as DE89. Already the popular Tech is milder than DE89 but I own several razors milder than Tech: Merkur 45C, Merkur 15C, iKon #102, iKon X3, Saiver.

Of these my own favorites are iKon X3 and Saiver (loaded with only one blade). I went the same way: from R41 to ultra mild razors.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

11. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I know it looks aggressive, but looks can be deceiving... I think the he PAA DOC is most mild Safety Razor that I own.
    Or
    Have you thought about a classic? The Slim Adjustable will let you dial in what you want...

PLANofMAN and Herm2502 like this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The Razorock Mamba is mild but efficient. A nice shaver. A razor I've never tried but is reputed to be very mild is the Feather AS-D2. Folks who've tried both the Mamba and the Feather report the shaves are very similar, but the Mamba is about 1/4 the price.

As recommended above, an adjustable is a good way to go as you dial in the aggressiveness you like. The Parker Variant is an excellent razor, but so are the Gillette adjustables.

There are a lot of really nice razors out there. It's a good time to be looking.
    Happy hunting.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Vintage & mild- Gillette tech:happy088:-Will easily handle the sharpest blades!-if you must have a BBS add a 1 shim!
    Modern and mild- Razorock SLOC:love029:-Will easily handle the sharpest blades!- if you must have a BBS add a 1 shim!
    Mild razors are more for daily shaving IMO.
    R41 is for heavy stubble or long whiskers IMO.

14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My favorite mild razors are the gillette tech vintage but easily bought from ebay and easily cleaned up, for modern i started with the muhle r89. I little bit more aggressive but still mild by my book is the parker 24 open comb or the razorock old type. The r41 was to much for me, there are more comfortable aggressive razors for my face out there like the fattip grande.

15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

The SLOC is more aggressive when compared to the PAA DOC. Additionally with the right blade, you don't need to shim the SLOC to get BBS shaves (YMMV).

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

TTO? Consider the Gillette Slim Twist aka Knack. Not Gillette's best moment but usually widely available and inexpensive.

17. PickledNorthern

Great comment, which actually reminded me of the Schick Krona. Super mild with a great cutting efficiency, and really pretty available.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Lol s-l400.jpg Lol, guaranteed to be mild

TlawYensid, Juno, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have a Merkur 23c Long Handle and a
    WEISHI Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly to shave my head. Both seem to me to be about as mild as it gets and doesn't hurt the wallet. I do it every other day with one or the other. No blood, burn, or bite, just smooth shave. IMHO don't use Feather blades for a milder shave. Buy a sample pack and test for your satifaction.
    Good luck
    tp

20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The R41 was a bit much for me to use as a daily driver.

Get yourself a SE don't look back. The Clog Pruf is a spectacular razor.