What about the Turkish #6?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Jayaruh, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

The link: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/424424-Zaza-turkish-Boar-brush?p=6702668#post6702668

So why those who insist that it's "horse" don't provide us any evidence ?
    In which factory those "horses" have been made ?
    Main or tail hair ?
    The analogy in % is ? 65-35, 50-50, or other ?
    How can explain that those "horse" knots smell and look precisely as Boars ?

:signs136:

I have visited a Greek farm with NATIVE Greek Blond Horses and in purpose i asked the owner about the hair of his Horses
    Soon i will post photos and the dialogue.

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

All I know is that my #6 splits, acts and looks like my brushes that aint afraid of admitting their ancestors :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    All good questions! However, I have not seen what looks to me like evidence from either camp. Recognizing that I am not the judge — or even a lawyer! — I learned >here< that the rules of evidence vary by venue! Hmm... :signs002:

OK, so now I have an opinion...:whacky011:

1. Since "the internet" is too large to be a venue, much less have an agreed upon set of rules
    2. The shaving forum most likely to have a set "Rules of Evidence" is NOT a place I like to hang out! :happy068:
    3. Without a common rule book, exchanges will be a lot like "Tastes great :angry019:" vs. "Less filling:angry021:" and I would rather just sit back and enjoy the beer.:eatdrink047:

NOTE: I don't like Miller Lite... but that discusssion is probably way off topic... unless we talk about the merits of drinking beer while shaving!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. Doryferon

So if one turkish seller says that his brush is from a capuchin monkey bristle we must believe him only because he wrote that in a description ?
    From the first weeks in the internet around shaving forums i read about that turkish "horse" and although there is no proof that is from a horse every time that someone has an agreement he faces a "taboo" situation.
    I have to fear nothing,that brush looks 100% to other Boar brushes (some of them from turkey also) and soon i will have one in my hand.
    Then we will see the differences with my other Boars and of course i will open a new thread.
    With pleasure then i would like to hear the opinion of those who insist with tenacity that is from a horse.

Second thought: If he says that it's from a blonde raccoon ?

:confused:

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I'm 60 years old and IMO EVERYONE will LIE if it is in THEIR best interest!!
    So since I'm one of those who is willing to give besthave the benefit of the doubt and, at least for now, take their word about the brush being made of horse hair I'll try to refute your argument.:)

1) You and the others who say the brush is boar, what QUALIFIES "YOU" to make that claim? Where is YOUR proof other than you "SAY" you think it's boar, because it looks like other boar brushes you have seen.
    Why should I believe you? Are you an "EXPERT" on different animal hair? How many horse hair brushes have you actually seen and used?

2) Where is the advantage to bestshave of labeling a boar brush as horse and then selling it overseas for $5 shipped? If your going to lie why not get cheap horse or dog or raccoon and try and sell it for more money overseas as boar or badger? That would make "MUCH" more sense.

3) I've seen pictures of the Turkish horses also and the tail and mane color LOOK correct to me when compared to the #6. I'm not an expert of what either boar, horse or badger smell like. I haven't found any shave brush I've bought smelled particularly "GOOD or BAD". If anything IMO, when I got my #6's(I own more than one) the brush smelled more like disinfectant than anything else.

4) What proof do you have that other brushes are made from the hair the seller says they are made from other than the sellers word? How do you know what part of the badger the hair in your brush came from or what material your synthetic brush is made of, other than what you are told by either the manufacturer of vendor? Why do you choose to believe them and not bestshave?

5) I'm not sure what "taboo" situation your talking about?

6) BOTTOM LINE I really don't know or care if the #6 is horse, boar, cow or raccoon. I don't care if the hair comes from the horses mane, butt or ankles. What I "KNOW" for a "FACT" is the bestshave.net #6 Horse Hair Brush that I own is about 2 years old, I've use it for every shave since I began using it I haven't use any other brush I own, and it lathers FANTASTICLY!!

So until those who say the bestshave.net #6 isn't horse can offer "MUCH" more proof than what's been offered here that it's boar, I choose to take the vendor bestshave.net at their word and believe the #6 brush is HORSE!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah you have to give it that. Lather just explodes somehow. Maybe because it's not so dense?

Love it.

7. Doryferon

I will answer in the same style as yours
    So we will be "equal".

What's YOUR QUALIFICATION ?
    You are making those knots in turkey ? What's your factory name ?
    Why should I believe YOU ?
    I have 2 Vie-Long Horse brushes
    I have read the reviews of other members for other Horse hair brushes
    NONE of all these brushes looks like the turkish #6 "horse",if you can not see it it's not my fault.

The answer is in the first post:
    It is a handsome brush for $2.49 and shipping. I am glad I got it. I like saving money, and this is a good way to do it. I believe that my next order from Bestshave.net will include about five of these brushes. They will make great gifts for newbies.

Many low price products in your chart means lot of money in the pocket of the seller
    Here is an much more older than you Greek proverb:
    "Η φτηνια τρωει τον παρα" can be freely translated "the cheapness ruins your money"
    "when the goods are in low price, you buy more and eventually spend more money"
    I think you are old enough to understand the meaning.

Here is a photo of the Greek Blond Horse
    It's Native from the island of Skyros.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JbaEMM3sbmw/TpAbY4S98VI/AAAAAAAAA7A/JQGxq3Iv1ZQ/s1600/Mini%2520Champ.jpg

http://www.jenny.gr/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/g._mitsibonas-skyrian-horse.jpg

http://inskyros.gr/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/horse2.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/57544606.jpg

Does this horse look the same with what you have seen ?
    It's a unique Greek Horse so maybe you hold in your hands a Greek Horse hair knot.

:innocent

If you can not smell and feel the difference between a Boar brush and a Badger then (although you say that you are 60) then you should start reading more the threads in shaving forums in your free time.
    Maybe you haven't read about Boar brushes and how to defunk them so you are unprepared and you should write in such a provocative way.

Obviously you don't know anything about the tactics of the tuskish sellers
    A young chef of them in front of the camera showed the Sunflower Oil and said that is "fine Olive Oil"
    Do you know to whom he said that ? To Elias Mamalakis !
    One of the greatest chef in Greece and well known to the world.
    The young turkish chef tried to deceived not only him but all the people that show that !
    Of course although you are old you don't know the history of Olive Oil in Ancient Greece.

WHAT ? Still didn't you get it ?
    They sell BOAR brush as a horse and that's against their religion
    Read better what the turkish shaver wrote in the link that i provide you:

There is no horse hair brush in Turkish market. Brush makers sell all boar brushes as horse brush or natural hair brushes because Turkish people are disgusting the boar. If they knew, most of them wouldn't use it.

Do you have anything to say about that ? DO YOU ?

Whoa, now you don't know ?
    So why you wrote such in such an offensive way to me ?
    Finally are you an "EXPERT" ?
    How many Horse hair brushes do you have ?
    Make a comparison whit that from #6 bestshave and tell us the results.

That's another thing,maybe you didn't understand but the point is if it's Horse or Boar
    I already have 2 BOARS from turkey,read the threads about them.

For some reasons you DON'T want to convinced (i know why)
    Maybe the young chef with the YELLOW Sunflower Oil who represented as an Olive Oil wanted watchers and customers like you.
    Many turkish manufacturers sell those BOAR brushes to other countries,they say in clearly and honest "it's a BOAR brush".
    Think for a moment:
    Other turkish manufacturers make similar look knots but they said clearly that is a Boar
    One or two manufactures say that is a horse but where are the proofs ?
    Where are the photos of these horses that they have ?
    Why they NEVER say if it's main or tail hair ?
    Why they NEVER say the % amount ?

Do you remember the Rifki in the movie Midnight Express ?
    He was selling a miserable tea but he insisted "no,no it's a fine tea"
    So tell us which person do you want to make a confession to you to be convinced ?

Oh,here it's something as an epilogue of this post
    Another shaver from USA wrote:
    I spent two years in Turkey courtesy of the USAF back in the early 1970's and did quite a bit of boar hunting in the mountains around Izmir
    Can YOU imagine what done with the hair of these BOARS ?

;)

Ask your brush,maybe is the proof !

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have no idea what hair is in this brush. Zero.

But, I have to be honest and say that absolute statements like

Actually takes away quite some credibility. I find it hard to believe that there are "no anything" in most markets today. There may not be a lot but to claim a zero existence to me sort of ruins the credibility and not something I'd use as an argument :)

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I NEVER once said I was an expert, I said that "as of now", I was willing to give bestshave.net the benefit of the doubt that the #6 is a horse hair brush.

What does my age have to do with knowing the difference between boar, badger or horse hair?

I'm AMERICAN old Greek proverbs mean little to me.

I don't care about the history of olive oil in Greece, it is my understanding that the majority of olive oil "MADE TODAY" is faked or mixed with other oils anyway.

Neither YOU nor anyone else here at TSD are under any obligation what so ever to believe anything I say.
    I thought I'd made it clear that what I wrote in my post was nothing more than my OPINION!!

If the #6 is made from the hair of a Greek horse instead of a Turkish horse, IT"S STLL a HORSE HAIR BRUSH.

Midnight Express "was just a movie Ned"

I'm making NO claims or accusations against you, I'm just asking questions, I need NO qualifications to ask questions.

YOU are the one making accusations while offering NO proof.
    You are telling me ALL shave brushes made in Turkey are boar and any Turkish vendor who says different is a liar and Turkish shavers are too stupid to know better? Again I ask where is your proof??

I own 3 boar brushes, 2 Badger brushes, 1 Synthetic brush, 2 Vie-Long brushes, 4 bestshave #6 brushes and a few unnamed vintage brushes that are supposed to be made of horse so what? IMO the #6 is the best brush of the lot and for a fact it's the only brush I use regularly.

I'm having trouble following your thinking(what does hunting boar in Turkey in 1970 have to do with horse hair brushes being made in Turkey today)? Since it's obvious that no matter what I say you will never change your mind, I'll say again "I DON"T CARE" what the #6 horse hair brush is made of!! All I care about is the #6 horse hair brush from bestshave.net is IMO, a FANTASTIC brush, that sells at a GREAT price and I will continue to buy and promote it!!
    YOU should buy, use and promote whatever shave products please you. I will "MOST CERTAINLY" do the same.

END of DISCUSSION.. Thanks for an interesting debate..:D

10. Doryferon

You first mention your age,i never asked you first about it.
    Proverb comes often from Wisdom,if you don't want to follow it no problem,in Greece we have cover that with some proverbs for the people that don't want to learn and don't want to admit that other people bring them in difficult position.
    Maybe your shops in your neighbourhood sell that fake Olive Oil to you,my family produces his own perfect Olive Oil so buy the sunflower oil as Olive or a Boar brush as a Horse,you are the "right" customer for some sellers
    If you ask questions with aggressive manner you will get the same style answers.
    I am involved in about 110 brushes and knots,i am not an "expert" and i will never be because i have no interest to be
    NO Horse hair brushes are made in turkey,that's exactly what the turkish shaver said !
    Those Boars are not for the turkish market,read the description below in ebay auctions - still can you get it ?
    As for the "promote" that you accuse me i could answer the same, that you promote that #6 as a horse so some people will buy it although their religion forbids it but i will not.

Here is a surprise gift for you as an epilogue
    I visited before few weeks a Greek Farm with many horses,among them some blond Greek Native horses.
    Take a look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I touched those blond bristles,i rubbed them in my hands,i smell them
    Let's see in few weeks if the #6 is similar.
    I have 12 Boar brushes and when that #6 arrives in few days we will see if i am wrong
    I will compare it extensively with other Boars to see the differences
    Be patience,nothing is over.