What Adjustable Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Jan 16, 2018.

?

Which of the following adjustable safety razors should I get?

1. Merkur Progress

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Parker Variant

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Gillette Adjustable

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I want to get an adjustable as my next razor, but I'm torn between Merkur Progress and Parker Variant for new, or going for a Gillette adjustable. I don't want to spend gobs of money on a vintage, however, so a Fatboy might be beyond my price range unless I'm very lucky to find one in good condition at a reasonable price ($75 or under).

So...what do you recommend?

RyX and LOOT like this.
  2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

A slim adjustable. They tend to be less expensive than a fat boy and I like them better. I have fat boy and a slim. Before I started straights, I used the slim about 10x more than the fat boy.

AGHisBBS and LOOT like this.
  3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat of a Gillette adjustable fanboy. You should be able to easily get a Fatboy for less than $75. I prefer Fatboys to Slims or Black Beauties, however they all are good shavers. If you like heavier razors, go Fatboy.

I have no modern adjustables so I can't speak to those.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You can pick up a Merkur Futur cone (Ming Shi 2000s or Q-Shave) for $10 and they are fantastic shavers. I'm using mine this week.

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Would you consider user grade or are you only looking for an exceptional example

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LOOT and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've visited every flea market, thrift and antique store in an hours drive from home. A couple Estsate sales, too. Never paid more than $14 for a vintage razor and that includes a couple adjustable Gillettes. After cleaning them up and a test shave or three I prefer early Fat Boys to Slims & Black Beauties. Do some Networking, leave your name and phone number at those resale shops.

Consider a Futur Clone. I get great service from a Ming Shi 2000S. There's no copyright infringement because that passed years ago. A Merkur Futur that sells for around $68 was outside my price range. Andrew's Shave Shop has them in stock last I looked and the price is not prohibitive.

7. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

6c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOOT likes this.
  8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have a slim and FB but users not collectors I could send your way pretty cheap. Would need to get the slim back from a test run but they would be sufficient to test to make sure you like it before investing a bunch.

I'm partial to aristocrats over adjustables.

LOOT likes this.
  9. Michael_W

Yeah, I'm looking for usable adjustable razors rather than collectors' items (although, if anyone has surplus money to blow, there's a re-plated Fatboy on eBay for $459—yikes!). So thanks for the offer! I'm thinking the Fatboy would be nice to add to my collection, so feel free to name your price. Again, thanks!

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I think that any of the Gillette adjustables would be a good choice. But if you can get a Fatboy at a good price, go for it.

James_P likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Already have sir!

RyX likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have many Gillettes and a Progress. (No Parker) I cannot recommend the Merkur. It's probably my least favorite razor in my den. It has an unusual geometry and the safety bar is a PITA to clean, because of it's weird channel. You cannot go wrong with a Gillette, not to mention, you can pick up on for a song.

LOOT and RyX like this.
  14. Michael_W

As I understand it, the Merkur Progress underwent some changes in construction last year fixing some of the alignment issues, although it retains the plastic twist-piece. The Parker Variant black-handle also went through a change, to graphite finish, following complaints about the black flaking off. One of the reasons I'm so torn on picking a modern adjustable is that both the Progress and the Variant have had quality control issues in recent past that are only now being addressed, so I'm reluctant to plop down money on them if it means I am likely to have to send it in for replacement one or three times. Still, both razors have good reputations overall if the reviews I've read are any indication.

LOOT, Primotenore, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Sounds like you've answered your own question...Gillette all the way.

Fluffyskiador and LOOT like this.
  16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Well a Gillette of course . Why settle for anything less than the real McCoy? I have both but neither are close to my best shaver. But they are cool.The 195 is hard to maneuver under the old snoz. The Slim is a little easier to negotiate and cheaper too. Both will give you a decent shave. If your are patient you can pick up a FB for not much more but you may have to let a few pass before hitting pay dirt.

RyX, Primotenore and LOOT like this.
  17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Gillette Slim or Super Adjustable (Black Beauty).

I just sold 2 Fatboys. Even though they are collectable, the Slim shaves me better.

18. James_P

James_P Well-Known Member

I would go with a good old Gillette adjustable! I had a new $25 vintage style razor and it was ok.after having it for a year and it falling apart on me. I found this forum and tried the superspeed, which are good and mild. Then going to a slim adjustable then trying a fat adjustable and loving it. I gave my superspeed to my dad and the slim to my mom. Both love them. I sent my fatty out to be replated and it looks brand new and shaves awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Primotenore and LOOT like this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Go Gillette Fatboy, or you will always regret it.

LOOT and Primotenore like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Everyone should give a Fatboy a try.

LOOT, RyX and DaltonGang like this.