What are weepers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bflotom2, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

Today while shaving I cut my cheek near my mouth. It happen when I placed the razor on my face after rinsing the razor. This got me thinking- Is this what is called a weeper? I have heard this term while reading blade or razor reviews. It make no difference whether the blade is new or used, or which razor I am using. Occasionally I get bit by my gear.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A weeper is a cut that doesn't start bleeding right away. You may cut yourself and not see the blood until after several strokes of the razor.

Enrico and Frank Shaves like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They tend to be really unoticeable until about halfway through the second pass, when you notice a patch of lather on the unshaved side of your face slowly turning pink.

Enrico and swarden43 like this.
  4. wheatshocker

wheatshocker Guest

Thanks for OP question and the explanations. I always wondered about that term as well

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Weepers are usually small skin blemishes or even natural skin bumps that are slightly grazed of even sheared off from a sharp blade that start to bleed to start the healing process the body does. A nick is slightly more dramatic than a weeper because it is a small cut but usually not serious and a cut can be small or large and slightly deeper than a nick IMO.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In order of severity...

Weeper
    Nick
    Cut
    Slice
    Amputation

:p

Gasman, brit, PLANofMAN and 1 other person like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Injuries and the razors that cause them...
    DE & SE razor

Weeper
    Nick
    Cut
    Straight razor & shavette
    Slice
    Amputation

I must admit, in 2 decades of shaving forum browsing, 4 or 5 stitches has been the worst injury I've seen. In fact, every injury I've seen that required stitches was a result of trying to catch a dropped razor, or happened when loading or removing a blade. Not strictly speaking, an injury caused by the process of shaving itself.

brit likes this.