What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Dr. Mike, May 5, 2009.

1. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I thought this might be kind of interesting. I looked to see if this kind of thread had been started before, but couldn't find one. I apologize if I am duplicating a thread. This isn't a "what do you like to listen to" thread, but a "what are you currently listening to" thread. I figured there are a couple of ways you could answer.

1) What have you consciously chosen to put in your CD/tape/record player or brought up in your MP3 player?

For me, that currently is Beethoven's Late String Quartets Nos. 11-15. 12-15 are performed by the Emerson String Quartet, while No. 11, the "Serioso" quartet, is performed by the Takacs Quartet. I am a huge Beethoven fan, and thanks to the help of the guys in the "Classical Music" thread, I have discovered more than just his symphonies. His string quartets are amazing, especially the late ones, but I also enjoy the middle ones, including the Rasumovsky quartets. I have recording of the Middle String Quartets by the Takacs Quartet, and love their playing of these pieces. Once I get my core collection, I may have to go back and buy the entire Takacs Quartet recording of the Late String Quartets for comparison to the Emerson String Quartet.

2) Put your MP3 player on shuffle and tell us the first 5 songs that come on.

Here are mine:
    1. Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, 1st movement, performed by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
    2. Bach: Goldberg Variations - Variation 1, performed by Blenn Gould (1982)
    3. Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Digs Disney - "One Song"
    4. Schubert: String Quartet No. 14 "Death and the Maiden" - 2nd movement, performed by the Amadeus Quartet
    5. The Pietasters: Willis - "Quicksand"

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

A double CD set called American Roads. I bought it 15 years ago and still listen to it. It's various old country artists singing songs about America. Great stuff. Joe South, Conway, The Statlers, Lee Greenwood, Willie, Waylon, you name it...

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

CDs currently in rotation in my car (the only place I can listen to anything other than sing alongs and Veggie Tales):

1. The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails
    2. Wisconsin Death Trip by Static X
    3. Livonia by His Name is Alive

I don't have one of those newfangled mp3 whatsits. That's too advanced for this Luddite. :D

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Today on the drive to work it was Johnny Cash "The Legend of Cash".

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Albums
    Zero 7 - 2001 - Simple Things
    Rogue Wave - 2008 - Asleep At Heaven's Gate
    Harlem Shakes - 2009 - Technicolor Health
    MGMT - 2008 - Oracular Spectacular
    John Legend - 2008 - Evolver
    Norah Jones - 2007 - Not Too Late
    The Negro Problem - 1999 - Joys & Concerns
    Joshua Radin - 2008 - Simple Times

Shuffle
    Eagles - Desperado
    The Starting Line - Birds
    Dru Hill Presents Jazz Ft Jill Scott - Love Again
    Velvet Revolver - The Last Fight
    The Cure - Burn

6. erictski

erictski Member

I listen to Sports talk radio all day everyday at work...so monday through friday...

7. harlekin

harlekin New Member

When I'm not listening to AM talk radio, I usually listen to a specific genera of german industrial music known as Neue Deutsche Haerte. The most recognizable of these is Rammstein, but my favorites are Oomph! and Eisbrecher. Oomph! is the original NDH band (their first album was reminiscent of the English band Nitzer Ebb, but their second album spawned the new genera).

Particular stuff I'm listening to lately:
    Oomph!'s latest album "Monster" (especially the song Labyrinth)
    Eisbrecher's latest album "Suende" (I'm writing out the ue rather than the umlaut because it's easier :) )

Also good from time to time:
    The Traveling Wilburys - if you've never heard of them, you've at least heard of the members... they were around for a couple of years in the late 80's-early 90's. Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and for the first album, Roy Orbison. It's a shame that Orbison died, as he was really amazing and you miss him on the second album.

8. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with NDH, but I was a fan of the industrial music of the 80's and 90's. I had all of Nitzer Ebb's albums at one point - That Total Age, Belief, Showtime, Ebbhead. I also had a couple albums from Front 242, Frontline Assembly, KMFDM, and Skinny Puppy. I had a CD that I'm sure was meant to be used by DJs, as it was a mix of a bunch of different bands, none of whose names I recognized (or could even repeat to save my life), but had some great music. I liked Nine Inch Nails briefly, mainly just "Head Like a Hole" and "Down In It."

Orbison was great - I have a couple songs of his, "Only the Lonely," and "Crying."

I also like Johnny Cash, and sadly I don't have enough of his music - right now, all I have is Folsom Prison Blues, Sam Hall, his signing Danny Boy, Marley's Redemption Song with Joe Strummer, Bridge Over Troubled Water with Fiona Apple, and Ring of Fire.

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

My CD collection dating back to the 80's was stolen a couple years ago. :mad: I have replaced a few of them, but will probably never buy them all again. What has been replaced are a few I really liked of which these would be my current top 5:

Goo Goo Dolls
    Creed
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Clint Black
    Sawyer Brown

I'm a big Cash fan as well so he gets an honorable mention.

10. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

I like leaving the mp4 player on shuffle. 3 of today's songs were:

The Long Run-The Eagles

Monsters- Matchbook Romance

California Love-Tupac and Dr. Dre

11. harlekin

harlekin New Member

I was introduced to Nitzer Ebb by a friend of mine in college. He was an ex-Navy EE student, so was a bit older than most of my other friends (and thus introduced me to music from when I was too young to know what good music was :) ) Nitzer Ebb was really intersting stuff. I had never heard anything like it and the only thing I've found like it since is that first Oomph! album, which honestly sounded just like Nitzer Ebb, but with half of the songs in German.

I used to listen to a lot of KMFDM (and the short-lived spinoff MDFMK) as well as a lot of the related bands (Pig, Schwein, Lucia, Skold). Lucia's "From the Land of Volcanos" is quite a good album. (Lucia Cifarelli was one of the most common female vocalists in the KMFDM lineup). I've listened to a decent bit of Front 242 and FLA.

That era of Nine Inch Nails was great. The Perfect Drug was a great song too. I rather like the modern stuff that Reznor has been doing. After his near-death OD experience he gave up the drugs. It took him 5 years to realize he could go back to music without going back to the drugs. It's a different sound, but I like it.

Johnny Cash has always been one of my favorites. I find it humorous that these days most people think of him as country music, but in his time it was more rock and roll. He was always breaking new ground, and some of the neatest stuff he ever did was covers of other people's songs. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't even realize that Hurt (was that the last song Cash did before he died?) was a Nine Inch Nails song.

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Currently in my old beater work truck, a burnt cd Blues mix that includes a couple of songs from each:

Freddie King
    Robert Cray
    B.B. King
    Johnny Copeland
    Albert Collins
    Albert King
    Luther Tucker

In the family van:

The Puppini Sisters : Betcha Bottom Dollar

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Nice to bring up NIN. Loved him back in early 90's. Downward Spiral was a phenomenal album and his remix of "get down make love" is still a fav of mine. Trent is a genious! Anyways....random songs out of the MP3 in car.....

1. Doors- Peace Frog
    2. Jimmy Buffett- 15 year old girlfriend
    3. blackfoot- train train
    4. David Allan Coe- You never call me by my name
    5. Sir Mix Alot- Posse on broadway
    6. Donna Summer- Last Dance
    7. Toby Keith- Beer for my horses
    8. Snow-Informer
    9. Waylon Jennings and Willy Nelson- Pancho & Lefty
    10. PM Dawn- Looking through patient eyes

I was only suppose to do 5 but I was curious! Spandeu Ballet-True came up 11 and decided to stop at that point! I have a wide variety of stuff and really enjoy it all. Stick to country these days and of course Jimmy Buffett. I reshuffled and got another very wide variety of stuff! Meatloaf, Garbage, foo fighters, 2 live crew, etc. Need to shuffle more i guess!

14. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I like you.....

:happy088

Dr. Mike and I have already had that discussion.... :D

It was a fairly safe bet that if it was put out by Wax Trax! Records, I'd like it.... Front242, Revolting Cocks, Bigod 20, Ministry, Laibach..... the list goes on... :D

It's funny, too, b/c I'm a HUGE Cash fan also.....who'd-a-thunk?

15. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

who'd a thunk that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a good album for calming distraught two year olds? well, it is. calmed him right down. good mellow, calming music.

16. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass (all the albums)
    The Baja Marimba Band (all the albums)
    Booker T. & the MGs – McLemore Avenue
    Henry Mancini – Sound track from “Hatari”

17. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

Dexter Jones Circus Orchestra

18. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I am not at all surprised by my fondness for Cash. He was the original "punk" before there was punk - rebellious, doing his own thing. I don't think it is a coincidence that Mike Ness of Social Distortion is a huge Johnny Cash fan, and they even covered his "Ring of Fire."

I have been trying to find some good Nitzer Ebb music on iTunes or Amazon. I really want Showtime, but it isn't available for download from either. They have Belief, which is also good, but Showtime was my favorite - I had it on tape back in the day.

19. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

Sorry, I couldn't help it! That brought a huge smile to my face. The only words I know to that song are "licky boom boom down." Who couldn't like a white Jamaican rapper from Toronto!

20. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Yesterday I listened to an assortment of podcasts of classical music concerts recorded at the Gardner Museum in Boston - primarily chamber music from Beethoven, Chopin, Dvorak, Bach, Brahms, Schubert, Schumann, Vivaldi. Anybody wanting a nice free source for decent classical music, you should check out the website. It is also in the podcast section of iTunes, but do a search for the website, and you'll find the archives, which have a lot more than on iTunes - and it is all free. Music from multiple composers from Baroque onwards.

Alright, for today, here is the shuffle 5:

1. 3rd movement of Beethoven's "Waldstein" piano sonata, performed by Wilhelm Kempff
    2. The Smiths - "Paint Me a Vulgar Picture"
    3. 2nd movement from Beethoven's Sonata No. 4 for Cello and Piano, performed by Mstislav Rostropovich and Sviatoslav Richter
    4. Bach Goldberg Variations - Var. 22 Alla Breve, performed by Glenn Gould
    5. The Cure - "Never Enough