What blade do you like in your R41?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, May 26, 2021.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have an R41 grand that serves me well. I currently prefer an Astra green in it, but I’m looking for ideas on other blades I might like in it. What blade do you like in your R41?

Jorvaljr, Edison Carter and cliffb599 like this.
  2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Wilkinson Sword saloon, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet, just to name a few. My all time Favorite is Gillette Nacet.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

MR41 and Edison Carter like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Bic Chrome

MR41 likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I'm pretty partial to a Feather blade in my R41.

MR41 likes this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Honestly, most if not all blades do well for me with it. I use to like using derby, vdh, rockwell with this razor as they seemed to sharpen/smooth out with it vs using them in a mild razor such as a tech. But it totally takes any blade well for me. It may be the best razor in my den.

MR41 likes this.
  6. IAmTheJody

I was in a hurry but now I can expound a little bit more on this...

My R41 is basically the only reason I keep Feather blades around. This combination is just really superb for me. Of course since I do have Feather blades, I use them every now and then in my other razors. But definitely if I didn't have the R41, I wouldn't have any Feather blades. There are a few other brand blades that I prefer over Feather in all of my other razors, and all of them are pretty good also in the R41. Voskhod, Parker Premium Platinum, BIC, vintage Schick Krona Chrome... All very good blades in the R41 as well.

Jorvaljr, cliffb599 and MR41 like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Derby Premium, Lab Blue, Voskhod.

MR41, cliffb599 and Jorvaljr like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I tried a feather tonight and I was surprised and pleased how smooth it was. I expected it to be rough. I did have good prep which is unusual, but it definitely got me thinking about feathers.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

It really is rather surprising considering how aggressive this razor is. But my thinking is, if you don't rush, it's an amazing result.

Jorvaljr and MR41 like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Perma-Sharp Supers are my preferred blade in most razors, including the R41.

Jorvaljr and MR41 like this.
  11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I agree. I do tend to be rushed, so I had a couple of weepers, but nothing serious:)

Jorvaljr and IAmTheJody like this.