What can I expect from Tabac?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by commah, May 23, 2007.

1. commah

commah New Member

I'm a relative newbie to this whole thing, but I'm progressing nicely. For the last month and a half I've been using Proraso green, pre/post, and a/s almost exclusively, though I have a ton of creams, soaps, etc... that my bro gave me. But, I've been reading a lot of reviews, and it seems, at least to me, that some people hold Tabac in a league unto itself.

So, I finally made the plunge to venture from Proraso green, and placed an order on Monday with Em's place for a tub of Tabac shave soap in the ceramic bowl. As I said, up until now I've just been using Proraso green, and a Merckur "classic" DE.

My question is this, what can I expect when I receive my bowl of Tabac, which should be tomorrow or Thursday. I've been reading how creamy it is, etc..., and I'm particularly curious about the scent. I love the nice smelling cologne type scents, so I have no idea what to expect.

Anyone wanna fill me in on what to expect when I receive my package? Tips? Suggestions? Advice? I'd love to hear it...

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You can most certainly expect a great shave from this great soap :D

3. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Nirvana.....:drool

Actually, if you haven't used soaps before it might take a few tries to get it right. I usually wet the brush and the soap. Then flick out most of the water. Load the brush up with soap- maybe 10-20 swirls. Then go to town right on the wet face. Depending on your brush, the water quality, etc. it may take a minute or two to develop a thick creamy lather, but it will get there. Play around with it. The scent is outstanding. Pick up some of the a/s lotion when you can.

Jordan

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Expect a great soap!

YMMV but it shouldn't :D

5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Tabac is a delight to shave with, and it's very addictive! :rofl :D

6. herzi

herzi Active Member

Can you all read my minds ;)

7. crackstar

Stefan, I just used the Tabac soap a few minutes ago and wow, was it ever great! :D

8. commah

commah New Member

Much to my surprise, I received my order from Em's place yesterday. First off, kudos to her for throwing in a few samples of their essential oil blend (Lime Citrus, Bay Rum, & Strengthening), and a nice little tube of Lavender shaving cream. I had also purchased "minty mint" after shave splash and some Derby razors. Great service!!

Now...Tabac!! I thought it had outstanding lather, and I really liked how it performed. The scent was somewhat interesting. Does anyone else think that it smells similar to Crabtree & Evelyn "Sweet Almond Oil" soap? I'm perplexed by the scent, but I think it'll grow on me. As for the cream, it works brilliantly. What a lather!! And the ceramic bowl makes a huge difference to an already outstanding product. When I finish with the Tabac, I see no reason why the ceramic bowl can't be used as a regular shaving mug.

Anyway, Tabac is a new favorite!!!

9. crackstar

Tabac smell like C&E almond oil soap? Naah--much nicer!

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I just went downstairs and compared the two. Nope, no comparison to my nose. Both very distinct in different ways.

11. crackstar

sooner or later, everybody gets to call Tabac a favorite--that's how good it is! ;)

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I think I hear something...

13. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

It's a good soap, as long as you enjoy the scent... because there's plenty of scent in it. While not my personal favorite, definately welcome in my rotation.

14. Guillaume

Guillaume Member

Kudos to Em's Place

There's not a lot I can add to this thread, new as I am to the whole endeavor, but I can certainly second that Emily (of Em's Place) offers customer service that is second to none. My first order (it certainly won't be my last) arrived so quickly that I almost believe that it was shipped before the order was placed. And there's always a little something exta added for you to try.

15. Will

Will Nevermind

Post up in the Vendor Review section :D

16. Guillaume

Guillaume Member

Oops

Okay. Sorry!

RooKies! What are you gonna do?

17. Will

Will Nevermind

JoAnna will tell you what we do to them :D

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

+1, tis a favorite of mine, I love the scent though ;)

19. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    We make them clean the bathrooms. :eek: :rofl

You are welcome to rave about vendors anywhere in the forum.Will was just encouraging you to add your $0.02 to our new Vendor Reviews.

20. crackstar

Neale, when I first moved to Canada from Israel, I used Tabac soap, because it was very available in every pharmacy, although it was quite expensive. All of a sudden, poof! it just vanished. :confused: :(