What Deodorant Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Tweezak, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Tweezak

Tweezak Member

As a newcomer to DE shaving I am also a newbie to the products that come with the territory. My current soaps and such are as follows:

Shave Soap:
    Pre de Provence No. 63 shaving soap

After Shaves:
    Pre de Provence No. 63 AS Balm
    Nivea Sensitive AS Balm
    Pinaud Clubman original

Bath Soap:
    Pre de Provence No. 63
    Big Pine Mountain Spruce (green plaid)
    Irish Spring Signature

The thing I wonder about is deodorant. Currently I use Old Spice High Endurance and rotate through Original, Fresh, and some other one I can't remember right now. I wonder if there are offerings out there that work better with the after shave products I'm using. Say for example, if I use Clubman and Old Spice Original are there likely to be scent conflicts?

What do you guys use? Have you found good product matches or - more importantly - products that don't go well together?

Kizurra and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Brut antiperspirant is the only one I use.

As for trying to match scents...

My shampoo has a scent,
    that is different from my shower soap,
    that is different from my preshave oil,
    that is different from my 40+ shave soaps,
    that is different from my half dozen aftershaves,
    that is different from my colognes,
    that is different from my pit stick.

So... seven different scents going on.
    And after all that, my wife still tells me I smell good.

brit, RetLEO-07, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Black polo by Ralph laruen you can get them on eBay cheap, great scent with matching aftershave

ninjack likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Old Spice High Endurance or Degree. I don't try to match my shave with my pits. I want something that works.

mylesc1234 likes this.
  5. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Arm & Hammer Unscented for me, since it's all but impossible to get Xeryus deodorant anymore.

6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I have gone away from using any deodorant / anti-perspirant with aluminum compounds (such as aluminum chlorohydrate) as there is some thought they may contribute to Alzheimers. While the jury is still out on this, I figure I get enough chemicals in my system from food and such so I try to control those things I have control over.

That being said, I have found that using the Thai deodorants stones, basically potassium alum sticks, and other "stone" based items. I find that while I do sweat, the Thai deodorant stones neutralize the odor. They last forever as well....unless you drop them! Just saying :signs131:

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Primal Pit Paste

8. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

I like to choose more neutral deodorants, so there is no conflict between my perfume or after shave. I go with Nivea deodorant, Silver Protect. I also use Old Spice stick, Danger Zone. Nivea smells soapy, hard to interact with other scents. It does not project either, so hard for it to "conflict". Old Spce one it's having some citrus notes, but it's not powerful at all, so i can use it and use whatever cologne i want with it. Of course, i don't bathe in deodorant, i'll just use one small spray on each armpit, or two passes with stick.

Now, as long as conflicts goes, you don't necessary have to use the same line of products. You can find some similar ones. For example, when i'm using Old Spice Original after shave, i can get away using an perfume like Calvin Klein Obsession, as they both have cinnamon and vanilla notes, so they smell pretty similar. CK would longer. When i want to use some fresh fragrance, that will not mix too well with any of my powerful after shaves, i would just use an milder aftershave as long as scent goes. I have a cheap one (i think it's the cheapest in my country), that goes for about $2 for 150ml bottle. It's actually great, astringent too. The smell on that one goes away after 10-15 minutes. So it's perfect for that. I'll use that, maybe some Nivea AS Balm, as it's not too scented either.

9. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

I have to agree with @TheFiveO .
    I use a "crystal" from the health food store. Just a big stick of potassium alum. Of course that is if I use deodorant. I usually don't and as I drink a lot of water, I don't usually smell. Although at the end of a busy day SWMBO will sometimes say I smell like onions.
    So, eh. If I remember I use it, if not o well.

TheFiveO and ARGH like this.
  10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Crystal Stick! Unscented, lasts a long time, and very economical.

300.jpg

11. Jasio78

Jasio78 Well-Known Member

I use either tabac deo ( stick type), great if you like tabac. Wife does sometimes say it's a little strong. Or TOBS sandalwood spray (pump type, not aerosol). I don't panic about matching scents, but a lot of my soaps, a/s and colognes are of woody/musky variety, so they all blend well. ( or to me they do!)

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

At the moment, Dove for men. But, sometimes crystal liquid, or Old Spice. Always deo, tho, not anti-persp.

13. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I forget most days. I have to old spice sticks but prefer nothing if I can get away with it.

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Arm & Hammer Essentials

15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

And can also be used as alum block ;). But please make sure you use a fresh one for that.

I am in a wise cracking mood more than ever today.

Boojum1 likes this.
  16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Usually Mennen Speed Stick, but sometimes also Ombra Mild roll-on which smells nice and does a great job of preventing body odour. I believe it's made in Germany.

17. Miles853

Miles853 Member

Old Spice Deodorant or Lynx

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Two bucks. Works great for me.
    armandhammer.jpg

I recycle the containers for soaps.
    arko3s.jpg

19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps