What Do BBS Shaves Mean To You...........

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jimjo1031, May 19, 2019.

?

Feeling BBS.

1. WTG

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. ATG

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm just wondering, what does a BBS shave mean to you? Skin feeling smooth while your fingers move down your face (WTG), or moving them upwards (ATG). For me personally, it has to feel BBS ATG.

Redrock, RyX, Terry and 5 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

BBS shaves should pass the cotton ball test; rub a cotton ball ATG and no fibers should catch and pull off the cotton ball.

I decided several years ago to quit chasing the BBS and have settled for DFS. Two passes and done is good enough for the board room.

MR41, Redrock, FSword and 7 others like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I also believe BBS should be smooth in all directions. I used to do three passes, WTG/XTG/ATG and that would leave me properly BBS smooth.

I did a two pass last week, WTG with a little XTG in select spots, then ATG for the second. Left me properly BBS. Most two pass shaves will get BBS on >90% of my face but I'll just miss a little spot somewhere, probably one of the usual difficult areas... I dont worry about that anymore. It still looks superb and doesn't cause much irritation. Three passes tends to irritate more.

RyX, AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

:happy096:
    I hear folks raving about a BBS shave. That's great if you can get it, more power to you. Me personally I prefer a DFS with no irritation. That's good enough for me.

Ron R, RyX, ghostlife and 7 others like this.
  5. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I am still relatively new to wet shaving, so I still do a 3 pass, WTG, ATG & Across w/touch ups. I don't strive for a BBS, but what I do, usually ends up pretty dam close, most of the time. I am very happy with that!

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

What a BBS means to me.....
    Nothing!
    Stopped chasing that.
    I chase getting my technique better, that's is where I'm at now.

Sorry if that wasn't what you were looking for.
    tp

RyX, AGHisBBS, Moose and 4 others like this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I generally do a 3 pass shave minimum, but I no longer chase the baby. An irritation/nick free DFS shave is much more important. :happy088: IMO though a true BBS should pass the cotton ball test in all directions.

FSword, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Personally, I will get a BBS WTG shave in two passes from most shaves. But I usually do some type of touch up afterwards for feeling BBS ATG, which happens in a couple of spots on my neck area. Not always, just depends on the day and what activities I have planned. Because those spots not getting touched up will show up later in the day on an otherwise clean face.

RyX, AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  9. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I'll get a BBS once in awhile, but I never shave ATG. I do a catercorner from my lower chin to my upper ear. It will look like "\" if you look at my right side, your left, of my face. Do I go for BBS? No. However, it has been known to occur once in awhile. I just go for a really nice close shave to get me through 24 hours. If I shaved every other day I'd probably go for the BBS, but shaving everyday I'm pretty sure my face would be chopped meat if I tried.

RyX, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i go for dfs+.my lower neck is the toughest and i leave this at dfs. bbs is achievable on special occasions but not daily..bbs everywhere else..

RyX, AGHisBBS, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pretty much my entire shave is ATG and has been for a few years. BBS almost every time, with the rare nick due to not paying attention or jumping in wide open on an unfamiliar razor. It's not a matter of chasing or even wanting BBS...just a matter of practice and minding your technique even after you've nailed your technique down. Anyone can do it.

BigD, RyX, 178-bplatoon and 5 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Shaving with a straight daily has significantly changed the way I determine if I get a great shave. These days, two+ passes (WTG, XTG) with minimal ATG on the cheeks, gives me a DFS shave. (BBS when rubbed WTG). I have become very satisfied with this result.
    When I DE shave, if I had more than 48 hours growth, BBS will always be the result. (Passing cotton ball test). I simply cannot ATG buff on my neck with a straight.

BigD, RyX, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm lazy .... one pass and a buff = DFS = :D

:eatdrink013:

Yehuda D, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I generally do not grade shaves for anything other than am I pleased with the results or not.

I enjoy the diversity of this as a hobby. When I take into account the variables I introduce, it would be difficult.

When my wife took her state barbering exam, they used a cotton ball. Was it a comfortable shave? Nope, that takes time.

I know how to pass the cotton ball test and get a comfortable shave every time. Just doesn't really matter that much to me. I want to look good, feel good and smell good. Being challenged is the fun of it.

Be well.

BigD, RyX, Terry and 2 others like this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Two passes and some cleanup for me yields BBS. I found that as my technique inproved BBS was easier to achieve. I don't care if it last only a a few hours. It's the accomplisment I enjoy. BBS for me yields no irritation for weepers.

BigD, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

To me, BBS is just that. As perfect a result as I can get being stubble-free, smooth as glass in all directions. But it has taken me a while to build my technique (there's that word again) and system to achieve that on a regular basis. Even at 58 years old, my skin won't take daily shaving if I'm going for that level of smoothness. And I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with anything less so the system that works for me is:
    1. I don't shave every day (retired). 48 hrs minimum growth, never more than 4 days though.
    2. I build a lather from bar soap in the shower, leave it on until I'm finished and rinse it off last.
    3. Three passes (W-X-A) and use subtle skin stretching techniques like a barber with a straight.
    4. I apply the leftover lather from my brush and bowl to my face and leave that on while I clean the bowl, brush, and razor (usually about 5 mins.). While I'm gently massaging that in with my fingertips I can detect any missed spots and grab those if needed. This was referred to as "comfort lather" by a member on another forum. It seems to create a subtle "tightening" of the skin as it dries. I rinse off with cold water and then it's aftershave and balm. I highly recommend trying the "comfort lather " as part of the shaving routine. It doesn't seem like it would do anything, but it does.

Yehuda D, BigD, RyX and 4 others like this.
  17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Just what BBS means baby butt smooth. If your face don't feel like a babies butt, no mater witch way you rub, then you don't have a BBS shave. A baby has no stubble, neather should a mans face for a BBS.
    I shave ATG with 2 passes plus touch up. I hot water face soak, good lather, mostly short stroke pass, rinse, AS. Don't use DE blade more than 3 x, SE 6-7 x.

BigD, RyX and brit like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BBS is a waste of time. Easy enough to get but why bother. It only last a few hours. A high quality DFS makes alot more sense.

BigD, RyX, Terry and 3 others like this.
  19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

A DFS is perfectly fine if that's your choice. But it's worth the extra effort and time for a BBS when your Wife or Girl Friend Likes her man with that smooth feel. Personally I not only please myself but a BBS makes my wife happy, "happy wife, happy life". To each his own shave.

Shaver X, brit, BigD and 3 others like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

With a DE or injector that's my usual.
    Yup, no boardrooms or inspections but my own. Having 36-48 hours growth shaves better for me.
    Sounds like a worthy experiment. I'll give that a try. Since I bowl lather and tend to have leftovers I'll be using already prepared lather. Have you used an alum block as a post shave product? It's shave / rinse off soap / swipe whole shave area with the block / let it dry while cleaning up equipment / rinse off alum / apply AS. Good check for Technique issues because it'll tell you where you have a nick or razor burn. Also a good astringent & antiseptic. The skin tightening effect is quite strong.
    Been my habit with DE/SE to do long strokes. I'm trying out a kamisori - shavette right now and learning the short stroke pass. It's good training for the set downs which is where I get most of my nicks. The idea is that short strokes keeps the best angle for each little stroke, rather than going long and getting off kilter.
    Always my target rather than a BBS. I can get SAS, CCS, & DFS with little or no irritation. It's that 4th go that pushes the limit and ends in scraped skin and irritation.

wchnu, Edison Carter, brit and 2 others like this.