What do you do with old cell phones and charges?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by tazorac, Sep 11, 2016.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I'm an environmental friendly guy and don't want to put them in the trash..although I may have to, are they recyclable? what do you do with them.

AGHisBBS and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you are in the US, I can answer you. If not, I am not so sure. I do know that cell phone stores will take back old phones, but make sure you have deleted any personal info first. Best Buy stores have recycling drop boxes for old cables, such as phone charging cables.

3. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I'm in the US..in Neveda..BEST BUY is about 30 minutes away...I don't think im driving there to drop off old cell phones, also I think YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM to recycle your cell phones.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

There are some internet sites that will recycle and send you a free mailer.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Places that sell phones will take them back for free. But I agree that driving so far to recycle is self-defeating. Are there any other cell phone stores or large electronics stores closer to you? Many of them take phones & cables fro recycling at no charge.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Except for the phones I passed to folks, I still have my old ones. When I see how folks younger than I damage theirs I wonder. The marvel of carrying a color screened computer with stereo sound that can connect with the internet! I've not broken a screen yet, but have worn out or damaged the charge port. I remember Dick Tracy and his wrist TV. My grand children are growing up in The Future!
    Dick Tracy two way wrist TV.jpg Dick Tracy.jpg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

In California we have recycling centers all over the place. Schools here usually have electronic recycling once a month and they get a portion of the recycling.

Sara-s and RyX like this.
  8. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That was the iwatch back before the iwatch existed!

RyX likes this.
  9. richgem

Hmmm.... Atomic Light... that sounds.... safe....

RyX likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Dick Tracy had better tech than James T. Kirk. Video vs. audio only. At least Kirk had speakerphone mode.
    communicator.jpg

AGHisBBS and Sara-s like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tracy considered getting into comestibles.
    dick tracy food.jpg
    Safer than Dilithium dip and Isolinear Chips!
    dilithium crystals.jpg isolinear chips.jpg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I still have all of mine...
    cell phones.GIF

jimjo1031, swarden43 and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Re-purpose those old phones!
    nokia armor i feel safe.jpg

Drygulch and AGHisBBS like this.
  14. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Depending on the condition of the phone, you might consider repurposing it. We have one that we turned into our "media center" phone. We have a chromecast, so we use it to cast videos, music, etc. to the tv. We have another one that we turned into a kids device. It has some games, kids bible app, etc. on it. You can also consider turning it into a security camera or monitor. There are some free apps out there that will turn them into a wi-fi camera.

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Some cool ideas.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I just toss it up into the attic never to be seen again. But really my provider offers a credit towards a new one. Or you could wait until it's vintage and sell it on eBay. Or the attic, nobody ever goes up there.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

A strategy that has worked for me is to replace my smart phones every two years. I keep the original package, and the phone stays in a protective case with a screen protector while I'm using it. At the end of two years I clean the phone up, wipe the memory completely, and sell it while it still has some value. You can sell used phones on eBay, but i have an Amazon seller account that I use.

I sold my last phone, a Nexus 4, for $65 + $5 shipping in December 2015. After Amazon took their cut and I paid the actual shipping cost of $8, I cleared about $55.

It's not a lot of money, but it's better than zero, if you don't mind the trouble.

RyX likes this.
  18. richgem

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I add my old phonesv to the pile of other old phones in the closet.

Herm

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

When I was volunteering at the county Senior Service agency, a program began to donate old cell phones to the agency. May still be going on.