What do you do with your M3

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by William, Oct 16, 2007.

1. William

William New Member

I have now become a sole user of the straight razor. However, I do have a New Murker 38c DE with 100 un-opened Derby blades. I keep telling myself that I need this razor for some reason but I love my straight razor shaving so much that I just can’t waste a single day on the DE.

I also have my Gillette Mach 3 a spin off from the dark days which I do still use but not for shaving my chin-e-chin chin! No… I use it for shaving my ears……:eek: Yes I do, if I didn’t shave my ears I would end up with so much ear hair that I feel sure I could plat it put it in rollers or tie it in knots over the top of my head. I find that once I have trimmed out the bulk of the hair with scissors from my swiss army knife, I simply give the inside of my ears a shave with M3 job done. What do you do with your M3 or shouldn’t I ask.:D

2. CatMan

CatMan Member

Agreed!
    Now, that's a new one! I'd love to see that! Did you ever consider using a blender instead? Just kidding! :rofl

To your original question: I have a nice red one (I love red!), and cannot get myself to toss it. No use for it though. It just collects dust and takes up space in some drawer.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Tunisian Shave

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxwbT6e7uws[/ame]

4. CatMan

CatMan Member

Interesting video! I just don't quite understand the meaning of the treatment with the thread. :confused: Can anyone explain this?

5. William

William New Member

I have seen this done before on my daughter. We have an Indian friend who shapes eyebrows this way; basically, the thread is held in the teeth then rapped around itself several times. The forward and back motion makes the small hairs rap around the thread and they get pulled out. Ouch!

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

:signs097

• Ear Shaving
    • Straight Shaving
    • String Shaving
    Glad you found a use for the M3, William. I have a few... they sit and collect dust in the closet.

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have a collection from the dark days before I saw the light. I have a free fusion (would never have spent a dime on one), a Mach 3 and a Sensor, all from the dark days. I have them in a plastic bag under the sink taking up space. I have a three year old son at home, who I will give the three of them to with one crevate "You are not to use any of them, you are to experiment with them and understand what they can and can not do and we will discuss why they are so terrible. " Kids that are not exposed to those terrible cartridge razors are more apt to use them, so he will have my treo and will be sent into the shave den to experiment with them. Once he is done experimenting he will be given a Gillette Supper Speed and taught how to use it. If I do manage to overcome my fear of straights, I will show him how to use those to. This is what I have done with my terrible cartride shavers and wht I intend to do with them in the future.

8. William

William New Member

Do you know, I have a free Fusion too! I have also heard of a lot of people who were given them for nothing. I was wandering if Gillette have ever actually sold any at all or are things so desperate that it's the only way they can boost the 'units got rid of' figures?:rolleyes:

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I think you are looking at the problem wrong. The place where Gillette really takes advantage of the consumer is not on the razor itself but on the blades. The razor makes very little $$$s for P&G. So P&G can afford to give away the razor in an attempt to get you hooked. Not much loss there costs the company little to produce the razor. What they really want you to do is to empty your bank account into the company's balance sheet on the blades. If P&G ever gave away blades then I would be surpised.

10. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Pretty much the same way the printer industry operates. They sell of printers often at a loss and make up for it in ink cartridge sales.

11. CatMan

CatMan Member

That's right! I bought an Epson refurbished from the factory for $50. A set of ink at OfficeMax would be $61 + tax! This is outrageous! Got ink on eBay instead for $12 incl. shipping. Love eBay!

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I know that is why 99.9% of everything I write and/or data I transport is done in electronic form. Only time I print anything is at tax time when Turbo Tax prints out the forms.

13. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

I was so EXCITED when I perused the Thread Header. Thought, here, at LONG LAST, may be my chance to OWN ONE.

Somebody is ready to dispose of their old LEICA M3, the tool of the Great Ones.

Hopes, dashed once again.....

14. CatMan

CatMan Member

Even this can be done online. No need to print.

I think we went a little off topic, though. Back to the M3. If anyone is interested in a well preserved red M3, just send me the postage and it's yours. Well, wrong forum, I guess! :D

15. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I still have my red and black M3 in my drawer. I was tempted to buy another 4 pack when I had a run of bad shaves with new (to me) hardware but the price seems to have gone up. 4 for $12 at the store I was at. That brought me back to my senses quick!

16. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Mine is happily retired, I do pull it out now and then. Don't ever shave with it though.

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Never had an M3. I have a Gillette Sensor though that I still use if I'm in a real hurry.

18. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

Never owned a M3...

I'd just toss it...

Can't see the video since I'm at work (Firewall from Hell), but if it's the one with the barber and a piece of dental floss, very interesting. If it's the one where the barber is shaving with a straight and almost dry and others are getting their head shaved with what looks like a machete...also very interesting...

Ah hell, you had to be there...just toss the M3... ::

19. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

When I was on another forum one time a barber asked us what we would like to see in a barber shop. One of the common comments was rely strictly on the straight when you do a shave, a be willing to give lessons in the care and use of a straight if the customer is interested.

20. GeNn

GeNn Member

I just started wetshaving using Derby blades and HD Merkur. After 3 months I noticed I was shaving aggressively and felt my chin area a little "raw" and noticeable "bumps" at the hair follicles. I decided to go back and use the M3 for a while until my chin and neck area heal. I'm still using creams and soaps and quality brushes.