What do you guys think of the Feather SS?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Darrin, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Darrin

Darrin Member

wristwatchb and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have three shaves on the non-folding version. Steep learning curve, but I like it and am going to continue learning to use it. There are others on here with more experience. Maybe they will chime in.

wristwatchb likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I never could get any love from a straight.:) Be warned however that a shavette(the Feather) and a straight are two different animals. While the shavette is less maintenance, from what I understand they are also more aggressive and vicious.:) Good luck :happy088:

4. mrchick

The Feather isn't a typical Shavette. A Shavette typically uses a broken double edge blade or an injector blade. The Feather uses a different blade and the design of the razor helps with the angle. I recently started using a Feather AC SS and am not finding it vicious. In fact, I have only wounded myself once and it was operator error on my first pass. Don't be scared of the Feather.

wristwatchb, Darrin and Drygulch like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Honestly

I have been using a traditional SR since 1981, I would never change

BUT

If I had seen one of these back then and known I didn't have to do all the honing and stropping I probably would have been all over it :)

The feather system is by far IMO / IME the best of these :)

If you are about the efficiency of the shave, then yes this is for you, but if you are about comfort and the relaxation of the shave, then no, this is not the right course..

Obviously this is only my opinion, but you did ask for them :p

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

straight razor shaving without the maintenance ?? That's half the fun

Drygulch and gssixgun like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have used the SS Kamasori style, (non-folding.) I don't think it is vicious, but it does require a steady hand. I have cut myself with it, but no worse than what I have done with a DE. This razor was actually easy enough to use that I jumped from it to true straights.

wristwatchb and mrchick like this.
  8. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

I have used the Feather SS and a Feather Professional (a discontinued model, the profile matches the Feather DX)

The SS is milder and has less blade exposure than the DX.

IMO it makes a great starter SE razor. An alternative would be the Kai Captain which is just as mild.

Or go mad like I did and get the Kai Excelia.

Start off with a Feather Proguard and you will have it tamed on no time.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Part of fun with this hobby is trying different things, I don't have a steady hand for a straight of any kind. If it doesn't work you could always sell/trade it. You might want to check out Injector razors or even a Mongoose.

10. Darrin

Darrin Member

Good to know.

11. Darrin

Darrin Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll put it on my Christmas list for this year. Should be fun

12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Though I'm a 99.99% conventional straight razor guy, I still use a Feather SS folder as a travel razor purely for convenience. The SS has a bit different bevel at the blade holding portion of the razor that in effect softens the angle between blade and skin and is a bit more forgiving than the DX models. At less than $50 on d'Bay, give it a shot!
    Beware however, many find it it the gateway drug to conventional straight shaving.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I, and several others on this thread, have used the kamisori style Feather SS. Either this one or the folder would be a great razor. There's s a learning curve associated with using it, but it is not bad. You just have to be focused and careful. It is well made, and it provides a close shave once you get the hang of it. Some folks will perform one pass with the Feather SS and finish up with a DE until they become comfortable using it for the entire shave. Once you master this razor, DE shaving becomes incredibly easy by comparison. Good luck, and keep us posted!

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Japanese-Straight-Razor-Black/dp/B0060QYUP4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Drygulch and Darrin like this.
  14. Darrin

Darrin Member

I was going to wait but went ahead and ordered the feather folding razor. Can't wait to try it

Drygulch, entropy1049 and mrchick like this.
  15. mrchick

Have fun!

Darrin likes this.
  16. entropy1049

For blades, try Feather ProGuards or Kai Pink Milds to begin with, Then consider moving on to Feather Pros ;)

Drygulch and Darrin like this.
  17. Darrin

Darrin Member

That's exactly what I ordered with it. The proguard blades :)

Drygulch and entropy1049 like this.
  18. mrchick

Or do what I did and go straight to the Pros and whack a piece of your cheek off on the first pass

Drygulch and entropy1049 like this.
  19. entropy1049