What do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Magnum, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Magnum

Magnum New Member

ive got a few straights and have really enjoyed them. Haven't gotten to use them in a month or so due to the fact that my wife and I just moved and work has prevented me from getting my stuff set up. I need to learn to hone and was wondering where to start. What kind of stones do you guys use and where's a good place to buy? Also, where are some good places to learn since I know 0 people that straight shave other than myself. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

My workhorse stones are a 1000k King and a 4000k/8000k Norton combo I do have a lower grit DMT for lapping stones and razors that need alot of bevel work . You have quite a few ways you can go for finishers. Do as much reading as you can that way you'll be as confused as the rest of us.:happy088: No, really it's not that difficult to get a good shaving edge on a straight but you will have a learning curve.

45auto and InspiringK like this.
  4. Magnum

Magnum New Member

Thanks. It nice to know I won't have to take a lot of time away from my hobby of rocket building to figure out how to sharpen my blades.

5. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I have a very similar setup, and also finish off by using a .5 then .3 micron paste on balsa wood, then 100 laps on a strop. There are dozens of other options that all offer similar yet appreciably different results. Especially at first, I think that choosing your setup is perhaps less important than getting something and learning how to use it. Once you have chosen what to start out with, learn to make it work for you before deciding to add 3 more tools to your arsenal.

6. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I had the Naniwa stones suggested to me. The 1k, 5k, 8k, and 12k were the grits I was told. I'm going to get myself that set along with a DMT D8C to lap and work out the bad chips.

7. entropy1049

Good choice. I may consider the Chosera 1K in place of the NSS1K (I wish I had). Also consider picking up a higher grit lapping plate like the DMT Fine diamond for your 8K and 12K stones, sometimes (especially until well broken in) the DMT Course diamond can be a bit harsh.

You'd have pretty much a "Do It All" set of hones at this point, and the tools to take care of them.

8. DDuckyMark

I was trying to keep cost down. That setup is going to cost me less than $300. I was going to slowly upgrade.

9. entropy1049

10. DDuckyMark

1k, 3k, 8k, 12k. I remembered wrong. the 3k and 8k can be had for cheaper in a combo stone than both by themselves. The chosera costs more then twice what the specialty costs. and the DMT is an extra $54 for a finer one. as much as I would like them both it's almost an extra $100. maybe later.

11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Just for another option that can be a cheaper way to get started is lapping film. I do get excellent results with it and have used a lot of film on my straights and get very nice edges with it. Honestly, I would have mentioned it first but my memory isn't back 100% since my head injury.
    P.S. I do believe "lindyhopper66" has quite a bit of experience with it and would rely on his memory more than mine at this point, maybe he'll chime in. I'd tag him on this thread but can figure out how to do it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    InspiringK and Drygulch like this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

13. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

The DMT is sort of a necessity if you are planning on using any stones. Unless you have an alternative means of lapping your stones, you won't get ideal performance out of them without investing in a DMT plate.

Good point. Lapping film can be every bit as effective as any stone. I never use mine anymore, though that's more because I prefer the process of using the stones more than film and not because I can really say the stones produce a better result.

14. DDuckyMark

I wasn't meaning that I wasn't going to get a DMT. I was saying that I couldn't afford 2 DMTs. I might need to force a break in somehow for the 325 but right now I can't afford to get both that and a finer one.

InspiringK likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have natural and synthetic hones, a DMT as well as a wide variety of lapping film. Depending on the blade you are trying to hone, you may start out with 12 micron film. I usually go from 12,9, 5, 3, 1, 0.3. With difficult steel or wedges, you might want to start at 30 or 15. The higher the micron rating, the coarser the film.

I usually buy the 8 by 11 or 13 film and cut it in half lengthwise. I have a one foot square "marble" piece from Home Depot. They are pretty cheap. Make sure the surface is smooth.

I keep water in a spray bottle. Spray the surface of the "marble" and put the slick or paper side down on the sprayed surface. Spray water on top of the film's "rough" side.

Then do 60 laps on each grade film. These are just straight back and forth laps. Blade edge and shoulder flat to surface. Beware of having the heel/shoulder sitting on top of the "marble". You'll end up honing the toe only. Keep the film surface wet.

Wipe blade between film grades. Remove each piece of film after use and blot dry with paper towel. You will probably see some black coming off, the steel you are removing.

When you start setting the bevel with the high micron number film, do whatever test you like to make sure 60 laps is enough...the thumb test, hair test or my favorite...does it shave arm hair easily.

On the last film grade you use, the finest and lowest number, after you do the first 60, try another 30 to 60 laps with printer paper underneath the film. It is supposedly to "soften" the edge so it doesn't feel too roughly sharp.

Strop and you should be good to go.

Drygulch likes this.
  16. DDuckyMark

InspiringK likes this.