What do you have your Futur set at?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jeltz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I knew that my 1st shave with the Merkur Futur (set on 1) wasn't close but 8 hours after having it, it became clear how poor a shave it had been.

So I had my 2nd :D This time set to 2 which was better it and still irritation free so I'm sure I can dial it up a notch next time.

That led me to wonder what everyone else has there's set to, and whether they start on one setting but finish on another.......

I do know that my mileage will vary but its always good to know what others do.:cool:

2. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Jeltz

Sadly, I have no Futur. :sad023:sad023:sad023

(Someone was gonna say it sooner or later! :D)

Best Regards

goshawk

PS Any relation to Prostetnik Vogon Jeltz?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I started at 1 or 1.5, then moved it up 1/2 notch every shave until I hit 3, only to find that was just a tad too much. I backed it down and it stays locked at 2.5 for a perfect shave every time!

Ceferguson likes this.
  4. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Yes, would you like tickets to my next poetry reading?

5. gsurko

gsurko New Member

Sadly I also don't have a Futur, Ah someday. Isn't the rule of thumb: " If you see your face in the sink, turn it down."

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Don't know the razor but I think I'd tend to start at max aggressive and move down (as required). That's how I did my Gillette Slim Adjustable (it hasn't been off 9 since :D)

7. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Just purchased and received my Futur from bullgooseshaving and love it. Phil told me to start low on 1 and hand around 1.5 or 2. Mine's set on 1.5 with a Gillette yellow pack blade. Great shave and smoooooth. Wouldn't go above a 2.5 or 3 if you want to make mince meat out of your face, this thing is a Teutonic monster.:shocked003

8. J T

J T Member

Thats' about 1.5 on a Futur :eek:

My Futur is set at 2.25 with a Sharpedge.

9. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

My Futur is set to annihilate.:eek:

10. TonyO

TonyO New Member

Now that was funny. Totally different head design, but it is amazing just how much more aggressive the Futur looks opened up all the way, vs. an adjustable Gillette.

Mine's at 2.6, after working my way up. Tried at 3, too aggro for me there.

11. AJP

AJP New Member

Mine is on 1.5 or 2 at the moment - but then, i haven't had it long yet! Only time will tell i guess.;)

12. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

Thanks all, I've been working my way up and I've reached 4 without trouble (using a red personna)

Yesterday with a 36 hour bearg growth I started at 2 and went up to 4 for the remaining 3 passes.

13. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I leave mine on 3.

I have had it up to 6 for part of a pass (just to see what it was like), but it was scary. I've used it at 2.5 and 4 before too, depending on the blade. Generally though, I find that 3 works best for me in all situations.

14. Y2K

Y2K New Member

I have mine set at 2 - 2.5 for WTC/XTG and I dial it down a notch for ATG.

Ceferguson likes this.
  15. rainman

rainman New Member

6.5 and I find it on the mild side.

16. totalfusion

totalfusion New Member

Just shaved for the second time with my Futur - started at 1 (still learning so better safe than sorry) dialled it up to 1.5 for this shave. It's good, but will keep going up with successive shaves until it gets too scary or my face peels off

17. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I set mine somewhere between 1 and 3 depending on number of days between shaves.

18. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

4 wtg
    5 across
    6 against
    back to 4 for touchups