What Does The Term "Safety Razor" Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mantic, Oct 13, 2019.

?

What does the term "safety razor" mean to you?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2019.
  1. The Classic Double Edge (DE) Razor

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Any Razor With A Skin Guard (Double Edge, Single Edge, Cartridge)

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Something Else

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I'm working on an article about just what *is* a "safety razor." Getting some interesting variations depending on the reference source (I've even contacted the US Patent and Trademark Office for their take).
    What does the term "safety razor" mean to you?

brit, MrEE, MrDaniel's and 1 other person like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

It's not an open blade or straight razor.
    tp

Keithmax, Rev579, brit and 1 other person like this.
  3. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Well, a razor is in its simplest form just a blade, so a safety razor is a razor blade with a safety device.

Straight razors, shavettes, etc. are not "safety razors".
    SE's, DE's Cartridges are all razors with a safety device so are safety razors, just variations on a theme.

I think the above is fairly straight forward and self explanitory, but i am trying to think of the any odd one outs which will prove the rule and i am struggling.

An injector razor is a bit odd but it still works on a safety bar principle (in a different plane obv) so is a safety razor.

There is a DE razor which has no safety bar (can't think of its name tbh). And whilst it is a DE razor, i would say it most definetly isnt a safety razor.

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Traditionally it would refer to any razor that has some sort of guard so you couldn't accidentally or on purpose cut deep enough to slice an artery in the neck and kill somebody. These days it seems to still be the same though some people also think it means you not being able to cut yourself at all with a razor forget about how deep of a cut. Then you have those that confuse blade type with the concept of a blade guard and calling anything with a style of blade like DE an safety razor whether it has a guard or not even if it is only relatively unsafe i.e. you can't cut deep enough to slice a major artery but can still cut yourself real good with it like using what is called a homemade Devette. A Devette is combination of the word DE and Shavette. It is simply a DE safety razor that you remove the blade guard from it. It is not very safe but it certainly isn't lethal either.

Keithmax, Rev579 and brit like this.
  5. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Any razor which is designed to manage blade angle and exposure to the skin while shaving.

While this definition would include cartridge razors, today's use of the term includes a distinction that the safety device, which manages blade angle and exposure, is attached to the razor handle and not permanently attached to the blade. Thus, safety razors have a safety device which is not replaced as a part of an assembly, permanently attached to the blade or blades.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    brit likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Curley Ideal Safety Razor.gif
    The Curley Ideal Safety Razor. A frame back straight with flip-able safety guard.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Hodge and 3 others like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

To me a safety razor has a front safety bar and a top cap with a small window of ideal blade exposure for the person controlling it. Most of the turn of the Century razors only had the front safety bar with out a top cap like Star, Gem and Everready razors. Gillette had both front guard and top cap right from the get go and that could be why they were so popular a razor.
    Have some great shaves!

brit likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i would say any razor with some sort of safety devise attached to limit damage if misused..

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

The rolls is an se it has no safety guard.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I chose the traditional DE razor. That was when the term "safety" really entered the vocabulary.

brit likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Pre - Gillette safety razors
    [​IMG]

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Never seen one before, thanks for sharing.

brit and RyX like this.
  13. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Has a guard of some sort.

brit likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The SE was The Original Safety...that is where TOST got it's name.

Shaver X, AGHisBBS, Terry and 2 others like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

All I have seen do.

MrEE and brit like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Safety razor to me is a razor with somekind of bar along the blade. I do not count a cart garbage as a safety razor. ( although I do know why most do)

brit likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Would the Durham Duplex be a safety open blade razor?

RyX and brit like this.
  18. BlueShaver

With the comb guard, i would say yes. It is thus equipped with a safety device. See the bottom of the ad up above for the "real safety razor"

RyX and brit like this.
  19. BlueShaver

Congrats on finding the cross over device i was alluding too. :)

A shaving equivalent of a cabriolet!

RyX and brit like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

'Edge back' shaving device.

As opposed to....

'Edge Forward' shaving device.

RyX and brit like this.