What Happened to Method Shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by ChemErik, Dec 18, 2009.

1. scojak

scojak New Member

No need to go to Austin.

Method shaving is no more regimented then the way you already shave. Who changes the way they shave every time they shave? If using the best products available is regimented, then call me regimented and BBS every day.

As far as help, Chas answers emails fairly quick and is always available via phone. So as for not getting much help, you have to ask for it.

My first method shave was not my best, it took time to perfect the mix. It was closer then any other of my shaves with no rash or cuts!!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There was a time when I scraped my face because I had to. Being military demanded I shave every day. The weekends and vacation were mine, so I avoided the torture at all cost. The quicker the shave, the better.

Now I shave my face because I want to. I'm retired and my job could care less if I had a beard or not. I shave everyday and it's a pleasure. Three passes take about half an hour from start up to clean up. Honestly, there are times I wish I could shave twice a day, but I know it just wouldn't work for me.

My shave time is my spa time. Enjoy your six minute shaves. I'm in no rush and will take my time, thank you.

3. swarden43

I do.

I use a different soap and brush everyday.

I use two or three different razors a week, swapping the blade from razor to razor for the week, then try a different blade the following week.

That being said, different soaps with different brushes require different amounts of the water to soap ratio. It requires I change my technique for each one if I want to get a usable lather. I like having a different scent to enjoy every morning.

The razor/blade combos each require a slightly different technique. They will each bring their own characteristics to the game. I follow the same strokes of each pass the same with each razor only because the growth pattern of my beard dictates I do or suffer irritation. For me, there are enough subtle differences with each combo that require a different approach to each shave.

I like having choices. Enjoy your regiment.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Very well put Steve! A sentiment I'm sure many of us share. :happy088

5. swarden43

:signs001

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Thanks for letting me and others who honestly care that method shaving is still strong. It seems like it has some real benefits to a small percentage of guys who have very difficult to shave faces. I'm still not sold on the shave cloth, but maybe it's just because I enjoy brushes so much.

7. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I wouldn't even think about talking to my grand father about "method shaving".
    He would laugh at me right away.
    All that to say, who got time to go through all that routine every morning before going to work?, well not me.
    For me it's a real joke.

8. swarden43

According to scojack Method Shaving only takes six minutes. I take half an hour with my routine every morning before I go to work. I get up at 4:30, out the door by 6:20. My choice. To each his own.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

:sihns011 Amen Brother, Preach It!

10. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Method shaving is very much more regimented than "traditional" wetshaving -- at least at the start. In your opinion Method products are "the best products available." I don't hold the same opinion.

I did. No help was offered. Again, my anecdotal experience only -- just like your experience is yours.

Like I said -- congrats!! ;)

11. scojak

scojak New Member

Shave time

After being in the military and having to shave every day for inspection, my poor face always looked tore up. Now that I am retired I don't have to shave every day, but since discovering the DE I actually enjoy shaving.

I still would get some bumps and neck rash nut not nearly as bad. I went through many products and blades at first, like we all do! It was not until I found method shaving that I was able to get a true BBS with no rash or bumps!!

I to look forward to my morning quite time and getting that wonderful BBS every time!! For me the method shave products have been a god send and my shaves only take 6 min from lather to AS. I am not going fast, the products are just that good for my face.

I can say that for the first time I have a hobby and I look forward to the day I can pass it on to my son.

Chas, has been a great help to me and even sent me every thing to get started when I had no money to pay him right away. He truly cares about others and the future of DE wet shaving!!!

God Bless us all

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I just want to point out that this thread is pushing the boundry between informative conversation with light joking and just getting rude. Let make sure any further comments stay polite. I was part of the joking too, so I'm reminding myself as much as anyone here - please don't think I'm specifically scolding any one person.

13. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Any noob watching the utube antics of the shave itself would do well to forget everything they see. Blade or no blade thats just wrong.

14. Sparticus 6/8

Sparticus 6/8 Member

Not for me.

I didn't know of method shaving till now. Did a small amount of research to find out what it is. I can see how for some people it would be fantastic. There are leaders then there are followers. Me, I'm a leader and would not enjoy following this method. Whats right for one can't be right for all. Besides I'm not after a super close shave everyday, just a clean look. I can do that in one carefull pass most days.