What happened with the new Gillette DE buzz?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Apr 7, 2017.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Just curious there was a buzz about 6-12 months a go that Gillette will start releasing new DE razors, was it just a hype?

Shaver X, Keithmax and MR41 like this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Lots of rumors about how Art of Shaving was going to release a razor based on the classic Fat-Handled Tech. People claimed to have gotten details from various AoS employees/managers- made in Ohio, first in a series of reissues, issues with the first batch caused a redesign and delay. Last rumors would have had it out for Christmas 2016 but never announced or even confirmed by AoS. The only real supporting evidence was that AoS Instagram account and posters started featuring a Tech razor alongside a Fusion.

Personal theory- One was planned, possibly as part of a big rollout, but it was delayed and ultimately cancelled.

PLANofMAN and blashe like this.
  3. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

that makes sense,thanks

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That is a shame! I did want to see it released.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The Art of Shaving nearest to me very prominently features a Gillette Tech in their current window display. Not not a Merkur or Edwin Jagger, both of which AoS sells, but a Tech. When I asked when the Tech would be available, the salesperson inside said the release date keeps getting pushed back. She added that Gillette wants to release the razor by Father's Day, and that a lot of people have been in the store asking about it. It certainly seems the demand is there, and that Gillette is quite serious about offering the razor for sale.

[​IMG]

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

A fat handle, no less. Hopefully they won't make the interference joint the same awful way that they did 70 years ago.

Shaver X likes this.
  7. Shaver X

For those members of the peanut gallery who think the razor shown must be one of the Merkurs or EJs, here is a closeup of the handle.

[​IMG]

Herm2502, RaZorBurn123 and Jim99 like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I didn't think the Fat Handle Tech had a problem. I thought it was the earlier razors, like the Old Type, that had the handle splitting problems.

RaZorBurn123 and jtspartan like this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I want that banner !! It'll look awesome in my bathroom!!

ninjack, Herm2502, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  10. Shaver X

Then why not ask? The worst that can happen is they say No.

The Art of Shaving
    Customer Service
    Monday – Saturday,
    10am - Midnight EST,
    Sunday, 10am - 9pm EST
    Phone: 1-800-493-2212
    Email: customerservice@theartofshaving.com

If you send them an email, you can always reference this URL so they know to which banner you are referring:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...-the-new-gillette-de-buzz.55286/#post-1242026

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. Bookworm

The Fat handle techs had the same friction fit design. I think they were slightly thicker, or perhaps just less of a discrepancy between ID of the tube and OD of the insert. (At least, some of the ones I have use that same design).

DaltonGang likes this.
  12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

well question is will the head be stamped brass or zinc molded? if it ever gets released that is

Jorvaljr likes this.
  13. Bookworm

I'd strongly suspect Zamak, just like the last of the Gillette Ball-End Techs.

RaZorBurn123 and Jorvaljr like this.
  14. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm actually thinking about doing a drawing of it, minus the Art of Shaving letters and words. It does look pretty cool.

Herm2502, Enrico, Shaver X and 2 others like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

If it ever does make it to stores, I really hope that @mantic will reach out to someone at AoS or Gillette and get the "behind the scenes" story of what took so long.

Herm2502 likes this.
  16. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

It would look wicked bad as an embroidered wall covering. Talk about labor-intensive, though...

17. Shaver X

As long as the razor is well made and long-lasting, would it make any difference?

That banner was not the only place the Tech was featured. There was a much smaller placard in the store that also featured a Tech. There was also a stack of small business-type cards in the shape of a double-edge blade in the store. To me, that all adds up to Art of Shaving being totally serious. The delay might be due to production issues or product glitches they are ironing out. That is just a guess, of course. AoS is growing like crazy and sells upscale products. That all adds up to very good profit margins and revenue for Gillette, so it is no surprise this business unit gets plenty of attention.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

So when AoS/Gillette does finally release this new Tech to the public, you can buy it for $60+ or just go on eBay and grab a vintage Tech for $10. If you plan on shaving with it of course. Otherwise, for collectors of Gillette, I'd guess it'd be worth their asking price to add it to the collection. Personally, I'd like to see them come out with a nice new open comb three-piece or open comb TTO. Or even an open-comb TTO adjustable. MMmmmm. Tech? Meh.

Jayaruh and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Yup. I have 6 techs and don't plan on buying the new one. It's more of a curiosity for me to see them release it.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Bookworm

I'd look forward to it, simply because there are a number of people, such as @Shave Fu , who prefer unused razors.

Last edited: May 18, 2017