What happened with the new Gillette DE buzz?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would just like to see one and hold it. It would probably be over priced for my retired self.

2. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I would never buy it even if it was all brass considering its mild as heck. But interested if they ever release it

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Was this ever officially confirmed or denied?

4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

It time to move along now because they're not going to make and release a new razor, it's dead and buried
    [​IMG]

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No doubt it's not happening. But I'm not trying to resurrect a dead discussion. Just curious if anyone confirmed that the story was EVER true, or not. I never believed it; others swore it was happening.

DesertTime likes this.
  6. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

If you ask AOS manager some have no idea what you are talking about, and some say it got pushed back with no release date yet, and they would expect a christmas time release. One manager I spoke to said there was a last minute issue with production that pushed it onto another product release from gillette, and it just has not been rescheduled as of yet.

Keithmax likes this.
  7. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Who knows whether it will happen, but at one point it was planned. My guess is it will be zink and over priced, the initial time it was supposed to come out also saw a slight jump in retail price of the gillette platinum blades sold through AOS. It could very well be that they got cold feet and realized they would basically be competing with themselves.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. T_I

T_I Active Member

I guess that's it, with the cartridges, they already have the market in some (most) countries. (At least in The Netherlands) And as they have supplier lock-in with the cartridges, why jeopardise that with a razor where the buyer can switch blade manufacturer when they want to... Business-wise it doesn't make sense.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I haven't used cartridges for 15 years so I have no idea what the market is like now. But are there generic blades available for the more popular Gillette razor models? If their patents have run out or are about to run out for their top selling models, they stand to loose some of that revenue stream anyway. Clearly, they don't make much off their razor handles, if anything. Jumping back into a growing DE market, where decent razors are going for over $50 and premium razors are in excess of $200, might be attractive to them. Escpecially since they might grab some loyalty to their already existent DE blades.

Companies like QShave and even Rockwell have done well targeting the non-DE market with adjustable razors. It may be unlikely, but not especially farfetched, that Gillette is unwilling to ignore a growing market they once dominated. It's not like they'd be competing with themselves necessarily; it's revenue they're loosing anyway and it's growing.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Some interesting statistics.

In 2014, the Gillette Mach 3 (currently best selling razor) sold $23.5m and private label (generic) sold $20.9m
    In 2017 ,Mach 3 $36.1m and generic $44.6m which was the #1 selling overall brand. Generics went from #8 to #1 in 3 years

Sorry, I just found this interesting.

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hmmm.... time for Gillette to come out with a new and innovative product.

Perhaps a new DE?

Keithmax and DesertTime like this.