What in the World is Brown Sauce

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Jayaruh, Apr 15, 2020.

1. brit

brit in a box

just like this true brit..a-1 is nice as well.ketchup was a rarity when i grew up there,only really saw hp,and malt vinegar.there was hp fruity as well but not really a fan..i left england in 1980 before the curry and chips craze took off..

Frijolero, Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I now can't eat fried fish without malt vinegar. One of your culture's greatest contributions to mankind.

Ursa, Frijolero, BigMike and 2 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

halibut and chips,mushy peas,salt and malt vinegar..heaven on a plate.for me ..:)

Ursa, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd eat all that fo sho.

Ursa and brit like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Was on sale at Publix. It's definitely A1's English cousin, appropriately enough. Smells fairly close to A1 but the flavor is milder...not as hearty or bold, but sharper and tangier (vinegar?). Also...fruity? Didn't expect that.

Will try it when I do a steak but for sure it would go very well on steak fries aka chips. Likely superior to 57, that gussied up hybrid of ketchup and BBQ sauce.

6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I had always heard that the university was named for the sauce.

Edison Carter, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

HP works just fine with a steak. Tried it side by side with A-1. It is indeed sweeter/fruitier and sharper, and has a little more going on than Heinz 57. It compliments the meat well, in its own way. A-1 is what it always is, richer and bolder but won't overpower the steak's flavor if used sparingly. HP won't replace it but I will keep both in the fridge.

8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

But not actually from England?

IMG_20200703_190314_1_compress35.jpg

brit and Edison Carter like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

not any more..not since 07..

10. dkpwatson

dkpwatson New Member

Just to add a further twist to the mix. Here in Scotland, particularly on the east coast, I'm in Edinburgh, we have another variety of brown sauce.

Imagine taking some HP or perhaps a cheaper brown sauce and then diluting it enough, so that it's free flowing and able to be applied by a squeeze bottle. The dilution liquid is vinegar. The result is just called sauce.

So when and where would you use this concoction?

The answer is very specific. Really it's only used in chippies, fish n chip shops. For example you'd ask for a fish supper (fish with chips) with "salt n sauce." It's a delicious combination.

If you ask for salt n vinegar, you're either from Glasgow or England! :)

11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Kinda late to the party here, but I am a fan of both regular HP and HP Fruity. I currently reside in Michigan, USA and the regular HP can be found at any Meijer store.

HP Fruity can also be found at Meijer, but only at the larger locations with a large World Foods section.

I would never put the Fruity on a steak, but it's fabulous on pork chops and ham.