What is the best cheap brush ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by newb, May 13, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

Looking for thoughts on what is the best inexpensive brush for travel, or even every day use. Something in the price range of less than $20.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Omega they run from 6.00-25.00 dollars. Money well spent.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD!

Most folks will have their own opinions on this, and it is discussed elsewhere on the board, but for my money I would look at these, and because it is my money, I own each of them:

VDH Boar - $4.00
    Omega Pro Boar - $13.00
    Sabi Badger - $18.00
    No Name Horse Hair Made In Turkey - $4.00

There is also the Tweezerman Badger, but I know nothing about it - $15.00

4. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

The brush I travel with is the Body Shop synthetic. It works well, dries out with a flick of the wrist, and it cost $14.99.

goshawk

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

+1 my Omega 10029 is a solid work-horse, I love it! If you get a chance, check it out. Got mine awhile ago from ebay seller ntguys for under $15 I believe.

6. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

+1 I have the same brush and it's amazing. For the price it just can't be beat.

7. shavejunkie

shavejunkie New Member

If 1oldGI gives it a thumbs up......without question.....believe him. Hey GI...how you doing with the Palmolive and lifetime supply of Arko? Man..I love that Arko you sent me, I use it nearly everyday.

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

At under $20, I'd recommend going with a boar brush. Omega or Vulfix are the ones I like. I'd avoid anything cheaper than the low end Omega brushes.

9. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

The Semogue boars, I particularly like the 1305, are great, relatively inexpensive brushes.

10. Stan Grossman

Stan Grossman New Member

I know people here will probably disagree with me but just buy yourself a Tweezerman Badger Brush ($16.00 tops) and have at it. I have one and while it's far from my best it still absorbs enough water to give you a good shaveable lather. Money well spent for a cheap brush if you ask me.

11. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Me too. I started with a Tweezerman by default. I wanted to get something quick and cheap to see how it went and I read good reviews of them. Now I'm going hog wild with brushes,,but that little brush got me started. Whipped up many a bowl of lather with it. Face lather, creams , it did the trick. Still does!

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Diggin the Palmolive too. In fact it's up tomorrow for Shavette Saturday.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How do you define a travel brush? Small in size so it doesn't take up too much space? Or small in price so it doesn't bother you if your luggage gets lost? Or one that comes in its own case?

Personally I don't let either of the above bother me when I travel. The brush is just a tool. Sure, you hate to loose it, but it's not a blood relative. As for size, my goodness, does 20mm in total height really make that much of a difference in how much space is taken up? If it's about the case, use an empty pill bottle and save some cash, since you were asking about a "cheap" brush anyway.

By the way, in answer to your question - Omega.

14. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Well put Steve! :signs107 Ditto on the Omega too!

15. geneaut

geneaut Member

I second the Tweezerman suggestion. It's small, inexpensive, and does a fairly nice job all around in my book.

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

+1 They are right...1OldGI is one of those cats you can take to the bank...:))
    I have the same brush (omega 10029), and love it aswell...small brush, huge lather...:))
    Glad to know there are those with more brush experiance who like them aswell...

17. aubug

aubug Member

Third on the Tweezerman brush suggestion, works great on creams and soaps for me

18. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

lots of great suggestions already.
    I've nothing to add, so I'll just +1 on:

• tweezerman badger
    • omega boar
    • semogue boar
    I can personally vouch for the tweezerman and omegas, and trust the word of some folks I know have Semogues.
    That doesn't mean overlook other brushes, but you'll be more than satisfied with one of these if you choose one.

As already mentioned, the brush is merely a tool, a lather builder and applicator; they'll all do the job in it's most basic sense.

19. Goodknightbri

Goodknightbri New Member

I would recommend an Art of Shaving Pure Badger Brush or a Tweezerman Badger Brush which is about $17 or so... the AOS is a little more but it's worth the upgrade. I have them both but have moved up to more expensive options...

20. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Get your foot in the door. Once in,,it's a lock you're gonna spend more! Ha..
    Here I thought I was going to save money shaving this way. A hundred blades for 20 bucks or so compared to cartriges,,buy ONE brush and a cheap puck and I'm good to go.
    Well that thought went to H*ll in a handbasket real quick!
    You can't fight the Siren Song of Shaving Stuff. It'll draw you onto the rocks in no time flat. Enjoy it. It's a great way to crash and burn. Besides you'll look good and smell great doing it as you go down in flames.