what is the best?

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Chiranjit Bose, Apr 4, 2013.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

For me the weight of the razor does make a difference!! I tend to prefer heavier razors like the EJ89 and Merkur 34C. On my EJ I use a Weber SS BullDog handle,it's short 3"(7.62 cm), fairly heavy at 2.4oz.(68 grams) and has about the best knurling I've ever used. I've found using heavier razors has given me a light,very low preasure touch which transfers over when I use a lighter razor. The less preasure you use to accomplish your shave, generally the better. I feel using the correct preasure with a heavier razor is why I get so few nicks or weepers and virtually no irritation or razor burn ever! Can you get a heavier brass or at least zamack razor for an inexpensive price?

2. Indian market is totally controlled by these cart razors... These days finding a metal de razor is tough.. Looked for sometime but could only find the plastic ones which feels cheap in hand... Maybe for this light plastic material my de shaving experience is horrible.. My dad had a parker brass razor and it was quite heavy... But it got a bit rusty so threw it :'(

3. 178-bplatoon

You can't find Parker razors locally in India?? I thought Parker razors were made of brass so it should not have rusted, just tarnished.. I have a Parker 97R "Hefty" and its a pretty good razor. If you have a chance to try one of those I think you'd like it. Their $27.66 on ebay with free shipping "at least in the states"....:)

Addendum: I was looking at your post again and it came to me why there was rust on your fathers Parker razor. If you leave a razor blade in the razor and its wet for an extended period of time even a "stainless steel" blade will eventually rust and bleed onto the chrome of the razor staining it..

4. maybe it can be found in villages as most of the villagers prefer de shaving due to low cost... But its hard to find a guy in town here who uses de.... Most of the guys dont even know the meaning of DE... Lol.... How many guys r here on this site from India??? Gillette has full control here... Any shop i visit only sells gillette products... The only help i get is from some indian online store such as Flipkart

5. 178-bplatoon

Well don't feel bad Gillette has already done the same thing here in America. Other than an antique store or the internet you can't find a DE,SE Injector or straight razor sold in a brick and mortor store anywhere. I'm sorry to hear it's also getting so bad in India. If it wasn't for the internet and word of mouth most young people in this country wouldn't know anything about "traditional" shaving. Is it difficult or expensive to order things off the internet in India?

I honestly don't know how many guys are here from India? It would be interesting to find out. It will be upto YOU and THEM to spread the word and save India from Gillette....:)

6. well sites like flipkart, infibeam r pocket friendly... But ebay is a bit costly for us...well over the past few years companies like personna, super max have made quite a little ground on our soil and they provide about 60% cheaper products compared to gillette without compromising quality... But they r available only on internet and big malls... Still looks like a few years from now till they make it to locality stores..the main constrain in making de popular in towns is the lack of enthusiasm in people in using de... The demand is so less that its making the de industry to wash out.. On top of that the constant modern outlook given by gillette to its products r getting well in people's mind...i get the best shave by visiting a barber.. They use straight razors and each shave there costs about 20inr... Pretty cheap.. But want to do my shaving myself cuz i love shaving myself...its a nice feeling... Have tried carts for about 6 yrs and now trying to get into de shaving

7. 178-bplatoon

Say Chiranjit have you ever thought of writing Parker and asking them where you might get one of their razors from locally? Perhaps you could buy one directly from the factory? It's hard and kind of scary to think that a 40 yr old indepedent company like Parker is allowing Gillette to dictate to them in their own country??

8. 178-bplatoon

I think you'll come to like shaving yourself ALOT..:) That said at least you still can get a straight razor shave for a reasonable cost in India...Here it can be very hard to find a barber that will give you a straight razor shave and if you can find one the cost are VERY high!! A hot towel shave will cost me around $40 (2193INR). I enjoy looking at youtube videos showing Indian barbers giving a shave and head massage.... MAN that looks sooooooooooooo nice....:shaver

9. the success of a company depends upon the tastes of the consumers... I hate to say it... But our people r so busy forgetting our own style and copying western styles... But they dont see that western styles r not so diff than our styles... They think themselves as so western that even a western folk will get surprised... De was once a golden method of shaving here even 10 yrs ago... But people like here try to become more European or American and they think they can achive this by using the most funky gadgets even when most american and european swear by de method... Wat to do wen our people tries to copy something that only exists in their imaginations... I respect u guys more than our people cuz u guys stick to ur styles and dont try to copy others... Thats y gillette is getting such success here... And our fav de is getting scarce... I admit myself being a fan of catridge razors but have come to know about de some time ago... I asked a few frnds of mine about de and they said its for stupid poor people.. What a foolish statement!!!! I might be talking too much here but i'm getting very sad by seeing the company like parker which my grandfather and my father loved has vanished now... Only for ourselves... And now we have to pay the fine by buying these overpriced products from gillette... Will keep my hunt for a metal de and the new companies coming to india r my only hope... Gillette sucks

10. ya the barbers of India are world famous and a visit to them is a must for tourists who r shave enthusiasists :)

11. 178-bplatoon

I not a traveler but, if I ever got to go to India I definately would get a barber shave EVERYDAY....:)

12. and u will get a head massage for free...its a real pleasure to get the massages with the shave.. I once fell asleep while he was massaging my head.. It feels divine :) i called the parker company now... They said i'll to find a local dealer :o

13. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Have you tried bestshave.com. They have great prices and the shipping to the US is cheap enough, they are based in Turkey. Shipping to India should be pretty affordable I would think.

14. 178-bplatoon

I'm really very sorry to hear that in the name of being modern(whatever the hell that is)Indian shavers are losing traditions and values that they will miss...Trust me in America many of us have been lured by advertisement....Don't feel too bad we gave up our shaving traditions in American over the last 30 or so years, but now we're getting them back,at least some of us are. We are keeping our money and getting GOOD shaves!! Ask your friends who is the more stupid someone who allows a foriegn company like Gillette to become a monopaly, take all their money and give them a worse product in return or someone who knows what works well, keeps tradition alive, gets a good product at a fair price and keeps their money in their pocket...:)

Raven312 likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

I order many things from bestshave...My favorite shave brush and the only brush I've used now for almost 2 years is their #6 Horse hair. I have several of them in fact just in case..I've also ordered blades and a Yuma razor from them..The Yuma razor is very light and feels cheap not near as heavy or solid feeling as a Parker,but if you take your time, it will give you a pretty good shave...

16. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Love the #6, it's a great, cheap brush.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

I like to think of it as a "GREAT" brush at an inexpenisve price.....:happy108:

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

That might have been true a few years ago, but is increasingly less so. Many of the independent cutlery stores near me now sell safety razors, straight razors or both. The Art of Shaving stores seem to be popping up everywhere, and sell Merkur safety razors and Dovo straights. The Art of Shaving closest to me even had a Muhle R89 Rose Gold razor on display.

That sounds like a potential business opportunity.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

And just think, even if you only used each of those blades once and tossed them, you would still get a much better deal than buying dull carts. Besides, did you buy the Iridiums from Bull Goose?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

No I got my Super Iridiums from "Small Flower" Apothecary through amazon. They are "out of stock" on the 100ct. boxes last I checked. I checked prices all over when I was first looking to buy them and the prices were all pretty much the same..No "Great" deals that I could find.:)