What is the scritchiest, maybe even scratchiest brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by COMPNOR, Mar 25, 2017.

1. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Subject says it all. Right out of the box.

Thanks,

RyX likes this.
  2. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Short loft boar.

RyX likes this.
  3. COMPNOR

Got a particular brand/model?

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Some Omega boar brushes start out quite rough, but they "break-in" and get softer. I have a #20248 and a #10098 that are both fairly tall loft. At around 18 months of use I wouldn't cat them scratchy, hardly even scritchy.
    If you wanted a brush to retain its nature, might have to go for an early synthetic. Nylon fibers don't wear like natural animal hair.

COMPNOR likes this.
  5. COMPNOR

And did both of those start out rough?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

One of the shorter Omega's. I had a Vulfix boar that never broke in, but I really like Omega knots. The taller ones start out scritchy, but soften up nicely, IMO.

RyX and COMPNOR like this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Black Badger. My exwife loved them on her legs, but my face could not deal with the scritch.

COMPNOR likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I only have a badger and a boar brush. Of the two, the boar is more scritchy.

Sent via mobile

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You want scritch? Get a horse. Love all of mine but the shorter one on the left is scritchy. The taller one not so much.
    tmp_8714-20170324_132340-1740390738.jpg

ninjack, cegadede, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Rougher than the Van der Hagen boar brush I had at the time. But the VDH brush shed badly within 6 months. I still have and use the two Omegas. I kind of miss the scritchines now that they've softened up.

There you go! Never tried a Vulfix boar, but they might hold their scritch better.
    I have a couple Vulfix badgers - not high end brushes. They are a bit floppy for my tastes. As I understand the math when setting badger knots; measure the diameter of the knot, multiply by two for the loft of "best" utility. Very YOMV though. A tightly packed knot will feel different that a lesser quality unit.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

A grill cleaning brush. No, really .

:happy102:

RyX and COMPNOR like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Horse. I got a Vie Long. I ended up piffing it. I am not a fan of that much scritch. I can stand a little, but it was too much.
    [​IMG]

NCoxSTL, wchnu, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm (slowly) working on getting a horse (edit;;)) hair brush knot. Harvested four hanks of tail hair last time I visited my aunts farm. Then later I read it's a mix of both mane & tail.
    Horse tail hair.gif

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    NCoxSTL and COMPNOR like this.
  14. lightcs1776

That's an awesome plate. Any chance I can know the source? My wife would love that, and I would too.

Sent via mobile

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know the source, but you are correct. It is awesome. My wife picked it up years ago, but I don't know where.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  16. lightcs1776

Guess I will be on an Internet search. Great and wise words.

Sent via mobile

Jayaruh likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

D
    DO'H

RyX likes this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

HOSES HAVE TAILS!!!

DO'H!

RyX likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Omega boar stays pretty scritchy

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I live in a metro area. It's small city, but here in the more denser populated, older section of town they most definitely do. Well I assume that's what they are. If a city bus passes, they don't get on for travel. I think they like the benches to sit on while not actually street walking and advertising their trade.
    Too many things that Ajax won't take off for me to consider that kind of short term relationship.