What is your DE razor "Holy Grail" or "Go-To"?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Straight razor dandy, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have shaved with a de before, but it was my grandfathers and i honestly dont know what it was. I use a straight razor, and on the occasions when i have to shave ultra fast...i use a mach 3. I am seriously contemplating getting a DE of my own, but i don't want to get anything that isnt impressive. I have been trying to win one on a PIF, but i figured i would see what you guys thought would be a very good razor.

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello, since you are used to a straight razor, I think a razor that is on the aggressive side, such as an Old Type Gillette, or a Gillette New from the 1930's would work well. Although an adjustable Gillette Slim might fit the bill too.

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If you blow it up it looks like a Micro Matic to me. Some sort of single edge anyway.
    image.jpeg

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a stupid reason.

...on the other hand, it narrows your list down significantly. To about 50 or so razors.
    Gillette:
    Any of the Aristocrat line of razors. The further back in time you go, the better the quality, and the English made versions were better made than the American versions, and were usually rhodium plated as well.
    The American Diplomat, Executive, Senator and Sheraton are all good razors as well.
    The English Aristocrat Juniors are also excellent razors, with the best of them probably being the No. 58 set in nickel plated brass.

The Darwin Deluxe is probably "the" standout razor. Made from Cobaltcrom, most show no evidence of being nearly 100 years old. The downside, of course, is that they rarely sell for under $600.

I actually looked into sourcing Cobaltcrom alloy, and discovered that it is no longer made. It had to be annealed to be worked, and then re-hardened in the furnace after the razors were made. Modern machining could duplicate most razor designs, but there will never be razors like those made again.

Apollo red ring, Walbusch B5 adjustable slant, Mikron, the Merkur made Hoffritz or Coles razors are some of the rarer and more notable German made razors.

American made Cooper MonoBilt, Grand Shave King razor, Myatt Daymark, Gibbs+- razor, and many others.

France has the Leresche razors and Le Coq.

If you dig deep enough, just about every country on earth has produced at least one notable or unusual DE razor.

brit, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a 1912 or Damascene to me.

Jim99, AGHisBBS and cmorris357 like this.
  6. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I really like the Merkur Futur, it's all I use any more. It just seems to amplify the characteristics of whatever blade you load into it. Which is maybe why I can't seem to pick a favorite blade.

Halvor likes this.
  7. cmorris357

Ah, I didn't see that one. I believe you are correct.

Jim99, AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For many years it was the Gillette Slim as my only razor, thought it was lost during a move, then used a Gillette Super Adjustable, for some years , then found my trusty Slim in a box in the attic. A few years ago I started my collection of DE' and SE razors I now have 2 each of Slim, Fatboy and BB and use them a lot, leaning more to my Fatboy now days. But the razor I mostly use is my Weber PH, the Gillette Adjustables,Weber give me a BBS most of the time. As for my SE razors my 1912 Ever Ready and Gem Micromatic OC are the ones I reach for the most. The rest of the collection sits in the shelf most of the time.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This one is impressive
    [​IMG]

brit, ninjack, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

He'll never get a good shave with that angle.

ninjack, Halvor, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Great job guys!

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. cmorris357

Nothing can hide from Google.

13. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

My got razor is my Pils. I just enjoy using that roar and it is very different from any other razor I own.

My grail DE would be

Gillette Fatboy
    Gillette aristocrat
    Feather AS D2

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shoot me a PM. I may be able to help you on the Fatboy and Aristocrat. I need funds to support my SE and Injector disorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Joe, AGHisBBS, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

+1 For the Gillette Tech especially pre-war.

Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

I keep hearing great things about the fatboy and aristocrat

Slow Joe, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

nevermind, didn't see the later pic

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's a Norse inscription on the cap that you can barely make out.

Whosoever holds this razor
    if he be worthy
    shall shave with the power of Thor.

This guy needs to be worthy.

Jim99, ob1page, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

I prefer quality over quantity in just about every possible scenario. I would rather have one really nice DE than 20 mediocre ones, and I have no interest in buying several razors...even if they are all nice, I just have no need.
    I don't find this to be stupid at all...it's actually quite reasonable.

20. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

No cream?