What is your finest achievement since..

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by brit, Aug 19, 2021.

?

what is your finest achievement?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2021.
  1. cooler razor collection.

38.1%
  2. more enjoyment of scent choices

19.0%
  3. less irritation

42.9%
  4. less cuts and knicks

9.5%
  5. refined technique

33.3%
  6. better overall shave quality

81.0%
  7. cost savings overall

14.3%
  8. more friends

28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. brit

brit in a box

Hello Gents.I have achieved many goals since switching to a different shave process.We have all had issues since we started shaving in our early teens.Most folks have endured with the status quo,others changed their process or tools.For me I started with Bic disposables in the early 80's to cartridge razors and then stepped back to DE technology to find a comfortable shave process.This thread is about your process..and your greatest achievement since you changed up..or down if the case may be..What did you gain?..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I started shaving with a Gillette 109. 1980. Still have it. That is all I used for 10 years. Then I got married and slowly fell into the disposable razors for 20 years. Then in 2009 or 10 not sure. I stumbled into an AOS store. That reignited my DE shaving. I purchased an overpriced Futur, brush and shaving cream.
    After first shave I was sold. No turning back. I used the Futur exclusively until I stumbled upon this shaving forum (2015). Man were my eyes opened in a hurry to the true wonders of the shave. Several hundred razors later I have zero plans of ever stopping trying new stuff.

The best thing to come from all of this is “all of you”
    Tom

Hodge, Herm2502, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Utilizing the collection.

I use most of the razors, vintage soaps, and aftershaves that I obtain.
    I have duplicate razors that don’t get used, ages old aftershaves that no longer smell good, etc.; but for the most part, the things I collect get used for their intended purpose.

I have long enjoyed collecting so having a collection that does more than sit on a shelf is quite the delight.
    In fact, collecting vintage shave items and then using them has led to collecting and using vintage coffee makers.
    I’m not sure what’s next but I have a feeling it might be vintage hand tools someday.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Herm2502, wristwatchb, brit and 4 others like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

It took me several years, but I'm back down to using 1 razor and 1 blade and well, we don't talk about soaps and creams. But I shave 5-6 days a week and have not had an ingrown whisker in 7 or 8 years. I used to have them monthly if not weekly.

Hodge, theFAT98, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Better overall shave quality.
    Using a brush, nice soap, and DE, SE or Straight, I have achieved a shave that is not only closer and more comfortable, but a shave that I also enjoy taking the time to do.
    Shaving used to be a "scrape the face, get it over with" chore. Now it's my ME TIME. I have achieved a shave that I can actually look forward to on a daily basis.
    I get closer than I did with a cart - going against the grain always resulted in irritation. I can now shave ATG with zero irritation.
    I get much, much less (if any) irritation than I did with a cart - too much pressure, I believe from a razor that's too light, because one is trying to get a closer shave.
    I get longer lasting results than I did with a cart. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, but I feel less stubble at the end of the day than I did with a cart.
    I get a shave that is more like a spa treatment - good smelling soap, a soft brush, tunes in the background, cup of coffee at the ready...

Yup. The quality of the entire shave experience is certainly better.
    And because I have about a dozen soaps, over 40 razors, 20-some-odd brushes, 11-12 shaving mugs, every day is a different experience!!!

And the icing on the cake? I've met some great folks here at the Den!!

6. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I fell into the disposable rabbit hole like most folks. An extra blade would be added, and my wife would buy a new handle as a gift. I felt a bit resentful that the blades became ever more expensive, but what alternatives were there? A friend saved me with a question. "You like antiques, why aren't you using an old style razor?"
    A couple of weeks on the internet showed me that DE razors were still being made, and were easily available. I had not been looking, so I did not see them.
    My skin is now blemish free, I enjoy shaving, picking an antique razor to suit my mood, soap to match how I feel, and an after shave to match the weather.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  7. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Shaving with cart thingys was 'just a daily chore'. Got to the point of 'how much are they now' when going to the store....for products that were causing (as I found out by switching to wet shaving) irritation and skin issues.

Now, shaving with a variety of tools and software.....turns a daily chore into a small daily 'indulgence'. Likely didn't save any $ at all, but the experience of the chore, and the resulting skin benefits are absolutely worth the switch.

Interacting/following along (and seeing the endless wet shaving options) with the fine folks here at TSD is extra icing on the cake.

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think this is my first summer where I have been on an equal level shaving with soaps&brushes vs. shaving with canned creams/foams. I'm proud of that.

9. Chappy_Stan

Chappy_Stan Well-Known Member

I pretty much wore a beard my whole life due to shaving irritation even with electric razors. Started shaving DE full time in October 2020 and though a lot of difficulties at first with the help of Google and forums like this I've learned so much that I now actually look forward to and enjoy shaving. Thanks everyone!

10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

After 60 years of shaving I'm liking my razor collection, for most of my years I was a one razor, soap, brush and AS. Now I'm starting to sown size.;)

11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Before taking up traditional wetshaving, shaving with a cartridge razor and canned gel was just a chore. Not necessarily unpleasant, but also not something to which I looked forward. Ditto for shaving with an electric shaver. With traditional shaving, it is never really a chore even when I am in a hurry.

I have now used a safety razor for nearly 1/3 the time I have been shaving. It was a chance discovery, and one that has made each morning that much better.

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For my husband, who shaves his head and face, it's a tie between getting much smoother shaves and the substantial savings of money. The fact that he (obviously) wears out razor blades faster than most was costing him a ton of money in cartridge razors. That is actually what motivated us both to look into other options, settling on the use of DE razors.

For me it is also a tie between two things. There is the super-smooth shaves I get with DE's and now with Shavettes. But since I helped my husband with the initial research the other accomplishment is the pleasure I have had learning about classic shaving methods. On a side note, the research also led me here, which has also proven to be a pleasure.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  13. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I think that it all leads to better quality shaves. I chose technique because without that shaves can be painful. My biggest accomplishments was learning how to make my lather. I finally set my mind on the fact that the soaps that I own are thirsty. Sometimes the most beautiful looking lather is still under-hydrated. A proper lather protects the skin and I was lacking in that area.

14. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

My best accomplishment was eliminating irritation which has been key to improving the quality of my shaves. Along the way I’ve curated a small but fine collection of razors, brushes and assorted software. And like most, have met some great people across the fora. It’s a small but very congenial community.

15. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I've built a collection I'd value upwards of $8k with little to no investment, and made good friends and trading partners along the way.
    I use everything in my collection with exception to a NOS Executive complete with shipper, instructions and blades...though I did use it once, I have an executive in my regular rotation.
    It's a fantastic hobby!

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I started with a Gillette Slim Twist (G2000) back in the early eighties. My main change since I found the online shaving forums is my accumulation of shaving soaps, and especially aftershaves! I might have stocked up enough for the rest of my life already ;)

17. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Turning a dreaded chore into an extremely rewarding hobby (collecting vintage and rare razors and brushes). Highlights include:
    Scoring a prototype New Forest shaving brush (1 of 5 made).
    Discovering a Schick type F in a $7 Ebay razor lot.
    Being lucky enough to own one of Tom’s early Bunny razors.
    Obtaining a sizeable collection of New Forest shaving brushes (while competing with another forum member/collector).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    brit likes this.
  18. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Gillette type F? :signs002:

brit likes this.
  19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Yep, the rare type F. Only mfg for one year before WWII (1940-41)
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Since my journey into old style shaving probably has to be learning straight razors and how to keep an edge that’s comfortable for me. I always wanted to learn, do and maintain straight razor shaving since I was a kid. Now that I’ve gotten to this point, it’s not a chore but a practice of peaceful, zen like me time.

brit likes this.