What Is Your Least/Most Favorite Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jpb437, Jan 25, 2014.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

BIC.jpg
    So to prep myself for a "Blade Safari" thread I am starting tomorrow. I decided to give a new blade a try and attempt to log my findings just for practice. This was a horrible experience. I have had great DE shaves for a month now using the same setup every day. I tried a couple blades when I first started using my Merkur 34C, some great some not so much. After I tried around 4 blades, I decided to use up some cheap blades I picked up at the local grocery store. They weren't the very best blades I had tried but they were cheap and gave me a very good shave so I used them for the past couple weeks to hone my skill. Today all I changed was the blade. Same prep, same software, and same hardware other than a blade change. The results were so bad I didn't even try to finish my second pass. The BIC blade felt like pulling a dull 3 week old multi blade cartridge over my skin. There was more tugging than I have ever felt before including my days trying to extend the life of my dull mach3. Now I will say somehow I had no lasting irritation from this but also not a close shave at all. I am going to assume that blade was a dud and try a different one to "finish my shave" tonight. Has anyone else tried BIC platinums and if so how do you like them? Also what was your least favorite blade for your facial hair type so far? I know blade preference is vastly different from person to person. This is not to discourage others from any blade, just to get some back and forth banter about personal opinions/experiences with different blades. A demonstration of YMMV in action if you will.

For my short DE shaving experience. (only 5 blades)
    My favorite is Astra SP
    Least Favorite as of today BIC Chrome Platinum

BigT and mld202 like this.
  2. mld202

mld202 Member

My least favorite is by far the dorco st301, but I was warned long before I tried it, so I only have myself to blame.

My favorite so far is the persona lab and the perma-sharp, but I'm only a few blades into my sampler so far.

BigT, jpb437 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Least=Shark
    Most favorite=Personna Lab

BigT and jpb437 like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Least favorite: Voskhod it just doesn't work for me. Very 'tuggy'.

Favorite: GSB. Love those blades

5. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I agree Dorco ST301 is low on my list. I can manage to get 3 great shaves out of a blade, they just are not a comfortable shave for me. I find them kind of rough.

BigT likes this.
  6. Star

Star Active Member

My favorite would be the mighty Feather, with Astra SPs be a very close second. Merkur blades are ,my least favorite.

7. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I always hear people say Merkur blades are no good. I have only used one but I got great shaves out of it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    BigT likes this.
  8. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Depends on the razor for me. Optimum combos for me so far are the Weber PH/Gillette Silver Blue and the EJ DE89/Polsilver Super Iridium. Perma-Sharp Supers rank third choice for both razors.

Blades I don't care for? Haven't found the proper use for Derby, Merkur or Astra SP yet.

jpb437 likes this.
  9. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

My personel mileage:

WORST by far ,Derby.
    BEST BBS , Gillette Silver Blue.

One exception, Persona (cheap dolllar store) in my 1969 Gillette Super Adjustable, long handle.

Derby still sucks in EVERYTHING I own

10. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Least = Bic...I liken it to shaving with the ragged edge of a can top just removed with an old poorly manufactured can opener. Even the Derby and Dorko was better. It was in my first sampler. Got one out later thinking it might be better with technique improvement...nope.

Favorite = Gillette 7 O'Clock yellow. Works great in everything. I know YMMV, but I can routinely get 6 very nice shaves out of one. It's the only blade I've made a bulk order for. Astras come in second place.

11. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Worst-Astra SP, Israeli Personna, Crystal, Gillette 7 o'clock Blue.

Best- Personna Lab/Med Prep, Blue Bird, Viking Sword, Polsiver SI, Feather.

crackstar, BigT and jpb437 like this.
  12. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Worst: Derby
    Best: Toss up between Astra SP's & Personna Labs.
    Isn't it amazing how we all differ?

Cool Breeze, Ryan B and Aimless1 like this.
  13. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

That was kind of why I wanted to do this thread. I have seen so many people ask "what are the best blades to buy?" Then I also see so many people saying this blade or that blade is horrible while others say it is great. This was to show while my razor/skin type combo doesn't work for a specific blade others might find them to be the best blade.

14. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I think the only thing MOST of us agree on is that Derby blades stink.
    But still, there are a few who will pick them over any other.
    Oh yea, YMMV

jpb437 and BigT like this.
  15. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried many but...

Best: Voskhod, closely followed by Dorco Platinum
    Worst: Astra Superior Platinum
    No real opinion: Lord Platinum and 7 AM Hi Platinum

jpb437 likes this.
  16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My least favourite:

Treet

My most favourite:

Rapira

jpb437 likes this.
  17. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Love the Feathers in my Gillette Tech
    Could shave every day with Astra SPs in my EJ de89lbl
    Can load anything in my 74 Gillette SA

jpb437 likes this.
  18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I had a feeling this is why you asked the question. This is why when a new wet shaver asked what blade to buy I always say "buy the largest sample pack you can get". Very good post.

jpb437 likes this.
  19. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

Funny how the vintage stuff eats up just about anything with stellar results huh? My 69 SA loves the dollar store brand (personna's)

jpb437 likes this.
  20. David G

David G Member

Worst - Derby

Best - Feathers / Personna Med Prep

One of my friends would say the exact opposite :)

jpb437 likes this.