What Is Your Most Overrated Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Sep 1, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I know we have a ton of threads mentioning everyone's favorite brushes, but I decided to be different. Today's shave, was the reason.

What is the most overrated brush you own, or have owned? What did this cost?
    You can list more than one.

Mine would be:
    The Art Of Shaving "Pure Badger". $60

This brush is very floppy(no backbone), and is very "Scritchy".
    I have $10 brushes that will blow this one away. For the cost, you can buy Silvertip Badgers off the web, for less, and get a great brush. Me, I bought a RazoRock 400, and put a Whipped Dog Silvertip Badger in it, and this has become one of my favorites.

P9010475.JPG

P9010476.JPG

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

In a word, "Vulfix". I attribute the floppiness to not being densely packed and too high of a loft. Got both of mine in trades a while back. Pretty sure there were multiple items involved so I can't put a value on them. Maybe the company has a top of the line, but these didn't impress.
    Vulfix 2235e & 660s.gif

Vlasta, Primotenore, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

vulfix pure badger...no pic as i traded it off,too floppy..

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

My most overrated brush is probably my Edwin Jagger Best Badger in faux ivory handle. It's a small brush. Same size as my Art of Shaving Pure Badger travel brush that came with the kit my wife bought me to get me started on this hobby. Ironically, the EJ Best is MORE scritchy than the AOS Pure. Both brushes now sit in a plastic container. A runner up might be my Omega Pro 49. Don't get me wrong. I actually like it and use it somewhat regularly. But the best thing I like about it is it's large size. But I'm not crazy about how it has broken in. It is pretty scritchy and doesn't seem to be softening up much after a fair amount of use. On the other hand I have two other boars that are far softer. A Connaught Omega in faux jade handle is super soft as is my Schone boar. So, given how much love the Pro 49 gets on the various forums I've been on I would have expected more from it.

Vlasta, RyX, DaltonGang and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Sterling Marble handle Badger. It's a nice brush but at least on my face, it didn't live up to the reputation this forum gives it. A bit too much scritch. For me it ranks behind my Semogue 830 and SOC's, Maggard Two-Band and Omega 10049 & 10098.

Vlasta, DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

In an attempt to clean my Omega #20248 (same shape chrome handle with boar bristle dyed to look badgerish) I gave it a diluted apple cider vinegar soak. Acetic acid - it softened the bristles to the point I enjoy it less. I like that scritchy scrubby bristle of a new boar. Not saying you should, but it might help with yours. Dilute the vinegar with water, and don't let it sit too long in the solution.

Vlasta, DaltonGang and MntnMan62 like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Until you have used this brush for 30-40+ shaves, it will remain "un"-broken-in.

Vlasta likes this.