What is your pick of Gillette vs merkur adjustable razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ceferguson, Feb 10, 2016.

?

What is your pick between merkur and Gillette adjustable razors

Poll closed Mar 2, 2016.
  1. Merkur vision

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Merkur futur

14.6%
  3. Merkur progress/mergress

17.1%
  4. Gillette toggle

2.4%
  5. Gillette fatboy

31.7%
  6. Gillette slim

19.5%
  7. Gillette super adjustable short handle

4.9%
  8. Gillette super adjustable long handle

9.8%
  1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

cast your vote and if you'd like a quick description of why it's your top pick.

Robyflexx and Marverel like this.
  2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Wielding a fatboy is like handling no other. Does a great job to boot and it's not pot metal so it won't eat itself...I like the idea it'll last forever and be an heirloom.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like the Futur better because it's heavier and shaves closer while staying smooth.

AGHisBBS, Marverel and Ceferguson like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

love the progress
    but I may be wrong in fifty years.
    the Gillette razors will probably still be in use when my beloved progress turns to dust.

5. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

slim-because it is only one i have tried

preidy, Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I voted Progress -- it is wonderful that there is still such a razor in production (even if is is zamak). I have a Gillette Slim adjustable that is a splendid shaver, but I find myself reaching for my Merkur more often.

As far as actual miles logged shaving my face , my non-adjustable slants get the top slot.

7. David Green

David Green Active Member

I have both a progress and a slim... But too few shaves with each to add quality feedback

8. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I love my Mergress - fantastic razor! Very cool looking too. No Gillette comes close, in my experience - and I have a couple of Fatboys and a nice Black Beauty which I am fond of.

9. Ceferguson

I just ordered a mergress so I will like to compare to the gillettes I'm on the year of the adjustable razor lol, how have you been, still enjoying the brush. I just got some cypress wood I will have to send you some pictures

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and Marverel like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

yes sir, it's a huge lather monster.
    enjoy the mergresss, I want to send mine in eventually.
    right now I'm stuck on straight razors. can't seem to pick anything else. and I've started honing. the rabbit hole runs deep with straight razors.

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS and Ceferguson like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I prefer aggressive razors, my pic is the Futur. I did not have any luck with the vintage adjustable. The Progress was not as aggressive and had a slippery handle.

12. Lfs70

Lfs70 Member

Gillette Slim

13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I have the majority of those razors (not a toggle, vision, or progress)...I am really liking the futur, however the fatboy "as a whole" is just a thing of beauty...I think the futur gives a better shave but a FB (or any of the gillette adjustables) are still amazing...what Im saying is that I didnt/couldnt vote because I truely love them all.

14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Futur. It's an unusual razor, in a class of its own. It must have been a dedicated wet shaver who designed it.

15. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Fatboy continues to provide many generations with great shaves.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Fatboy to shave with, Toggle to look at, collect, and play with.

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Futur - simply the best razor I own. Beautiful design, heavy but comfortable, efficent and smooth at the same time. Gives me the closest shaves with least effort.

The Progress is a close second, both are way ahead of the Gillettes (have a Slim and had a Black Beauty that I gave away)

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS, BigMike and 2 others like this.
  18. Ceferguson

So far I have had some very smooth shaves from the futur, only one shave with the progress which was very nice but not as nice as futur. I just got my mergress in so I am looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Of the gillettes I like the fatboy the most I have shaved with all of them and there are things I like about the Gillette over the futur but ultimately for my I get a closer smoother shave from the futur. We will see if the mergress can be even better soon.

19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The Slim is my favorite DE. My favorite all time adjustable is an injector, my Schick.

Marverel, Robyflexx and Ceferguson like this.
  20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Can I just vote Yes?

I have 4 adjustables now. One is a Slim that I just got yesterday and haven't even tried yet. So far I love the other 3 (Fatboy, Progress, Futur).

AGHisBBS, Marverel, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.