what is your pre-shave routine?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Jun 24, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I was curious what everyone thinks about the pre shave ritual. pre shave oil, soap, gel, cream? what is your favorite? are there any benefits to a pre shave?

ilts and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It depends.
    If one tends to suffer from skin irritation as a result from just learning to wet-shave and developing technique, or simply from having sensitive skin, a pre shave oil or balm can prevent some of these issues.
    When I was learning to shave with a straight razor, I used a pre shave oil religiously. I have since gotten away from its use, although on occasion I will apply a pre shave balm if I'm using a shave soap that tends to be drying upon my skin (I'm one of those sensitive skin guys...)
    Usually I shoer before each shave, so my beard is ready to go. If I'm shaving without the shower, I'll apply a warm wash cloth and/or use a pre shave balm or oil.

Spud and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I enjoy the pre-shave ritual. Shower first, then I apply a hot face cloth to my stubble (yes, I know...but I enjoy the sensation of a hot facecloth on my face). Then I apply one of my home-made pre-shave oil concoctions...lavender or rose EO mixed in with other oils being my two favorites. I take the time to massage this into my skin and while this is going on...I am soaking my brush in hot water. Then I lather up my soap and apply. And then shave....you know the rest.

For most of my wet shaving life my pre-shave routine was pretty boring...hot facecloth and then lather. It was only after reading posts on TSD that I picked up tips on pre-shave routine, in particular pre-shave oils...and I think it has been a great addition to my morning shave. And I believe it has helped to improve my skin. I don't use any soaps on my face during my pre-shave routine...I find they dry my skin. That's about it in a nutshell...:)

Spud, Epimetheus, wmbjr and 1 other person like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I wash my face with hot-ish water and a facial soap, nivea mostly but I've also been using dove+ care for men. I wash and rinse while I steep my soap and soak my brush,(even synthetics,I know it doesn't do anything but I do it anyway). lately I've been using a washcloth I think it adds to the experience.
    I try to keep my face wet while I make my lather.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  5. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I take a hot shower and I use a facial scrub while I'm in there. On the few occasions when I don't shower, I still was my face with the scrub and then apply a pre-shave oil.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Mine is pretty simple. I wash with cold water and Dove Men+Care Face Wash. Cold water rinse, cold water shave...

45auto, flaxton, IDuck and 2 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

The pre-shave routine is critical to a great shave. Here's mine:

I place my brush in a scuttle full of warm water as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. After tending to certain high-priority tasks, I rush to the kitchen and fill a large mixing bowl with corn flakes. The intense crunching and grinding noise awakens my Bride, and she gets ready while I finish up a family size box of those delicious golden flakes. When my Bride enters the kitchen for her morning coffee, I return to the Den for my shave. I first shake any stray crumbs out of my eyebrows and hair. I then wash my face twice with soap and warm water, face lather, taking my time to build a nice slick lather, and then I begin my shave. No pre-shave oil for me, as I favor gentlemanly restraint in all my endeavors. I shower after my shave, but only on Saturdays. :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    ilts, youngunn, Bill_F and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Generally I shave after a shower, and that's my preshave. Otherwise, some hot water on the face is all. For a few days to a week's scruff I'll throw on some Proraso Preshave.

9. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Care to share your mixture. I have seen several "recipes" basically calling for castor oil and usually olive oil, but was wondering if this is what you use or do you do something different?

Since I am just starting I am still trying to figure out what my pre-shave, during shave, and post shave all needs to entail.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wipe face well with rag and cold water, lather, shave. That's it.

Mr. Shaverman and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I started using a PSO after seeing guys using it here. Ive tried store bought and homemade with good results. Then I found Myrsol Emulsion. This stuff is absolutely wonderful stuff and I end up with a smooth feeling face each time I use it. I'll usually apply some directly out of the shower while Im filling the sink and building a lather. Ive also used MdC Huille Vegatale chamomille balm and Myrsol Masaje Antesol in my preshave ruitine with good results.

12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I guess im weird because I found a shower before my shave, results in a lower quality shave for me...I load my bowl with hot water and place my brush in it. I then set my towel's out and apply my PSO. I will pour myself a drink of ice water (have to have a straw), sit down in my man cave and build my lather. I move to the bathroom and begin the shave.

wristwatchb and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

1 Tsp. jojoba oil,
    1 tsp. almond oil,
    1 tsp. grapeseed oil,
    1 tsp olive oil,
    1/2 tsp liquid lanolin,
    3 -5 drops lavender or rose essential oil....or more if you prefer a stronger scent.

I buy all the basic ingredients at the local natural food store.

youngunn, Spud, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As long as your wife doesn't mind the once-a-week shower! :bath::happy102:

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While a good preshave routine may not be absolutely necessary it is definitely beneficial IMO.

My normal shave routine:
    Shower while just brush bristles soak in hot water in lather bowl
    Do a Kyle prep while building lather
    Apply 3 hot towels in quick cessation to soften beard and remove Kyle prep lather
    Apply Corn Huskers Lotion to wet/damp face as a preshave
    Lather
    I'll normally do 3-4 passes with lather, while my final pass I only use water
    Final rinse first with hot water then cold
    Apply Nivea "postshave balm" then allow my face to air dry while brushing my teeth
    Apply aftershave of the day
    Light dusting of baby powder...:)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  16. nelius22

nelius22 Member

Warm water and Floid shave oil (used as PSO). I find a great difference in my shavings, everyting from irritation to achieving BBS improves.

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I don't really enjoy the preshave as part of the ritual, but I do it because for me it's necessary. I have really thick, coarse hair, I'm a headshaver, and I fight folliculitis and ingrown hairs. I've recently settled on this:
    -Soak brush and bloom puck
    -Wash face with hot water and plain old Neutrogena Liquid Soap
    -Hot Towel for 3 - 5 minutes
    -Corn Huskers Lotion
    -Bowl Lather and apply by hand

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

What type of rag—natural fiber or synthetic?*

*theses are the type of trivial yet oh-so-important details upon which compulsive wet shavers debate!

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The best bulk all cotton face cloths money can buy! (At Wal-Mart)

20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I use barber/salon towels I picked up at Sally's Beauty Supply.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Bama Samurai like this.