What is your single best piece of gear?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by MR41, May 28, 2022.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

What is your single best piece of shaving gear- razor, brush, blade, bowl, soap, cream, aftershave, other?

Ursa and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

That’s a tough one! So many good pieces of kit. But, in the balance, I’d have to say the Rockwell S adjustable. It just does everything well, takes on whatever characteristic you want, from aggressive to baby skin gentle, and performs
    flawlessly!

BA3A56DF-E9C1-4A95-8297-5CF76DE7B933.jpeg

Hembree, Jorvaljr, Hogie and 6 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

this one..:D 20210622_132115_edited1.jpg

but seriously,this razor..[​IMG]
    and it's oc brother compete for top spot. 20210730_072139_edite1.jpg

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Best? Okay, I guess that's different from "favorite".
    I never fail to get a darn near BBS every single time with a Merkur 34 HD and an Astra SP blade.
    So why use anything else? For me it's more about the journey than it is about the destination. I like pondering the history of each razor as I use it.
    Badger brushes seem to whip up a better lather on the puck than my boars or synthetics.
    Soaps? I buy Tabac, TSD, Stirling and, Van der Hagen. Which one is the best? Yes.
    I have many different razors: DEs, SEs, straights.
    I have many different brushes: Badgers, boars, synthetics
    Only 2 types of DE blades: Astra SP and an off brand made for sale at the BX/PX.
    Only 1 type of SE blade: Gem
    They all get used in rotation. I have no issues about what will be coming up for the next shave. If I don't like a product or item, I don't use it. Guess you can say I don't bother with "second best"!

Primotenore, Hembree, Hogie and 5 others like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a tough question to answer. For me, it's the Tedalus Essence razor. Quite simply, it won pride of place by being the best shavette razor design in the last 150 years. Could it be improved upon? Certainly. I think a classical/traditional shape would have been more appealing to a broader audience, and a 1800's Wade & Butcher homage shape would have appealed to razor collectors better. The ultra modern look of the Essence certainly sets it apart from it's contemporaries and established the brand's uniqueness.
    IMG_1640888433504.JPEG
    I briefly considered some other razor designs, and the 1936 one-piece open comb Aristocrat (No. 15) was a runner-up. It shaves well, but the overall fit and finish are what nearly put it in the top slot. It is rare to see that level of perfection on any modern day mass-produced tool.

Edit:
    The Shavemac D01 knot almost made the top slot as well for it's uniqueness among badger knots. There is literally no other knot that is similar. It got bumped out of contention for being such a niche product. It appeals to a very small minority of brush users, who prefer backbone over all other considerations.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    ischiapp, Primotenore, awk-m4 and 8 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking shavette! I wasn’t aware of them.

Hembree, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Hembree, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The price point discourages any but the most die-hard shavette fans from acquiring them, unfortunately. "Shavette" and "premium" are not two words that usually find themselves in the same sentence.

Primotenore, Hembree, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

How close feeling to a straight is it?

Hembree and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    To a half-hollow or wedge ground blade, it is indistinguishable. Compared to a full-hollow or extra hollow "singing" ground blade, there is a noticeable difference in the audible feedback, if not the shave.

The 'thinness' of the razor blade holder allows for a wider range of attack angles, compared to a Feather, Kai, or generic holder. The magnetic connection holds the blade more securely than other designs, which adds to the illusion that the blade and holder are one piece. I'm more or less repeating what I've said elsewhere on this subject.

To a barber who does straight razor shaves, this is a valuable tool designed to give decades of service, with the one caveat that it is marginally slower and less safe to load than a Kai or Feather premium razor, but easier to hold, control, and grip than those razors, as well as being much more premium looking.

To the average wet shaver, it's harder to justify the price tag vs. return of investment. For a shaver like me, who enjoys a straight razor shave, but whose thick, wirey hair tends to turn a full hollow shave into a tuggy struggle, it's a phenomenal razor and a joy to use and display.

To sum up, it feels exactly like a straight razor in the hand. On the face, it feels exactly like a heavier, thicker wedge ground straight razor, but shaves more like a hollow ground razor (depending on your blade choice).

Keithmax, Hembree, Hogie and 4 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

thank you.it's a fine shaver:):eatdrink047:

Hembree and MR41 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

i agree..:):eatdrink047:

Hembree likes this.
  14. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

For me it would also be the Tedalus shavette

Hembree, Screwtape, brit and 2 others like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Very intriguing!:)

Hembree and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:

Hembree and MR41 like this.
  17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Absolutely it has to be the 2011 version of the R41.

18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have dozens of soaps, creams and aftershave splashes or balms; many brands of blades; over a dozen brushes (narrowed down from 30+); three or four shave bowls; and hundreds of razors. I use all of the software in rotations and grab blades and brushes indiscriminately, but at present, I only use two razors: a Henson Medium DE and my Supply 2.0 injector fitted with the new open comb SE plate.

I have put all the other razors away, and will probably eventually sell most of them.

So I guess the answer for me is those two razors -- the Henson Medium for a DE and the new Supply SE for an injector. I think they are genuinely the best pieces of equipment to come along in their respective categories -- and the first major improvements in those categories to be developed in decades.

PLANofMAN, Ursa, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

There is someone selling a 2011 r41 on eBay right now for $689obo. I’d like to try one but with prices like that it’s not gonna happen;)

Hembree and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

the henson has me curious..:eatdrink047:.

Hembree and Screwtape like this.