What kind of plating is this??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Raven312, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

It looks like a copper finish. Has anyone seen this before? At first I thought it might just be bad lighting but I don't think so. 1961 Fatboy.JPG

2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Looks like silver with not great lighting. It is nothing out of the ordinary if that is what your asking. Gillette also made a gold plated adjustable, but that does not look gold.

3. Raven312

The white balance can be off by that much?! Wow. My gut says to let this pass. I was very curious about this color because I haven't seen it before.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Color doesn't shave the face. If you're wondering if you should buy it, as long as it's mechanically sound, and you can live with the color, go for it.

Raven312 likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yep that's silver, well nickel plated anyway. Remember that camera's magnify defects. The plating on that razor looks pretty good, all things considered.

Raven312 likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've never seen that color before either. My thought is someone may have have put the razor in some type of solution to clean it and it has caused the color change. Or it could just be a bad photo which has too much red in it.

Raven312 likes this.
  7. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

As far as I know, Fatboys were nickel plated, so unless something was done to the razor, it's probably a combination of that particular photo and the normal process of plate loss. There is brass under the nickel plating which starts to show through once plate loss happens. Like Swarden says, as long as the razor is mechanically sound..the doors and adjuster mechanism work properly and there is enough adjuster spring tension...

8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It could be someone stripped the remaining nickel plating to make the razor look more uniform. I saw a couple of methods in a google search where this could be done.

9. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it is the lighting. I bought a slim adjustable thinking I was getting a gold slim aristocrat that the seller was clueless about. It turned out that it was indeed a regular nickel slim. You may have seen it in the travel box.

There are gold fatboys known as executives, but I don't think that is one.

10. Raven312

I hear you - all. It does look like it's in very good condition. I had the seller send me more pics and all 5 of them were the same color (which really shouldn't be surprising). I think I'm going to pass on this and go in a totally different direction. I'll just be patient with the Fatboys - for now. I think.

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I agree, it probably is the lighting. The surfaces shadowed from the light source (under the head and bottom side of grooves) have a different color.