what mug size?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by TitanTTB, Jul 16, 2010.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've been searching for an old spice mug locally but havent' found one. I did find a mug that I like and fits in my hand nicely. But its kind of small - the opening is maybe 2.5" diameter. I think it is slightly smaller than a standard coffee mug. I wonder if it would work for me.

How big is an old spice mug... and how big around are soaps generally?

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I don't know about the OS mug but I think most soap cakes are around 3" these days if you get them from artisans. Williams is probably around 2 or 2.5" diameter.

Don't forget you need enough diameter to move the brush around. 2 inches seems kind of restrictive.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Inner diameter is 3". Depth is approximately 2-1/4.

I just keep soap in it and load the brush from there. Then I move to a lather bowl that is shown here. My wife got me this one for Christmas. I love the size.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

A lot of folks like the soup bowls with handles, and also latte cups, but really, any ole' cup will do...except for maybe those little demitasse cups that Turkish coffee come is.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Most pucks are 2.75" or just a hair shy of 3.0". So, a full 3 inches inside diameter works great for a container to hold shave soap. Personally, I like the glass Anchor Hocking containers with lids I picked up from Wal-Mart so I can keep less used soaps clean.

6. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

thanks... so I’ll find something bigger and just use this mug maybe to soak the brush.
    I was thinking that I would use the mug to hold the soap, then load the brush and lather it directly on my face. (instead of a separate bowl)

I'll check out those Anchor Hocking also, thanks for the tip.

7. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Yep. Standard coffee mugs or gift set shave mugs are too small to properly whip and swirl the brush and are really only good for soap storage--my opinion of course. I have two decorative bowls I picked up at Target one slightly smaller than the other...the inner bowl is a bit less than a hand span wide. This gives plenty of room to twirl the brush around and whip lather. I put a little hot water in the bigger bowl and let the smaller sit in it; sort of a make shift scuttle.

8. swarden43

I agree.

9. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great information on sizing of mugs. My question is is the preference for a mug/bowl or scuttle?

10. swarden43

Your choice.

For me, I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a scuttle just because of the cost. I've used a Red Neck Scuttle (a $5 self-watering violet pot from WalMart) and for me, yes, the warm lather is nice, but nothing that super-fantastic for me. Although I pay the same for razors, brushes and soaps, I guess my AD for mugs and scuttles just hasn't kicked in. Maybe for Christmas...

11. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

For me, since I face lather, a regular size coffee mug works fine to hold the soap while I load the brush. I don't move my whole hand, but swirl the brush around with my fingers with the back of my hand touching the inside of the mug. It's comfortable for me, with my medium sized hands, but I'm sure some wouldn't like it. At some point I got into collecting Old Spice mugs, and now use those, but they're the same size as the coffee mugs. Williams, VdH, and Col Conk's are the only soaps in puck form that I've used, and all of those fit with no problem, but some other brands would no doubt have to be milled, melted, or cut down.

Some Old Spice mugs have ridges on the inside that are meant to keep the soap from moving around.

12. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

Get a coffee cup and a puck of the soap you use to find out what size you need. Mugs for sale usually advertise the diameter.

Personally, I like a ceramic mug or scuttle.

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

YMMV demonstration # 1056: I use a standard coffee mug with my soaps and it works just fine. Some don't fit- and so I do have a larger size on hand just in case. But I prefer soaps that fit into the standard mug size, like Williams and Colgate.

And no, I don't facelather.