What other blades should I try?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sas71, Jan 23, 2009.

1. sas71

sas71 Member

these are the blades i think im going to get. with the exception of the Dorco Plat Xtra the others are in the "choice" sampler at Razorandbrush. i went with this sampler pack since these blades seem to be pretty popular and can buy them in bulk. id rather not get into the oddball blades that i have to buy a pack at a time or dont get a good package deal on. yes im cheap :D

any others you might suggest?

Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)

Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)

Derby Extra (5 blades)

Gillette Platinum (5 blades)

DORCO Platinum (10 blades)

Dorco Platinum Xtra

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Gillette 7 o' clock yellow pack. Possibly try the other colors as well. Astra superiors.

3. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

The Yellow 7 O'Clock blades actually called Sharp Edge are great and I too would suggest getting a sample of all three. Be sure that when you order the green box you are getting the PermaSharp model. They are from India and are just a bit behind the yellows in performance for me.

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

Yep, 7 O'Clock. Yellow, Indian Green (PermaSharp) or Black.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

werd.

6. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

+2

I've been blown away by the yellow. The Lord or Big Ben brands would be good ones to try also.

7. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

Be sure to try:
    • Red Pack Personnas, also Israeli made
    • Lord Super Platinum
    • Astra Super Platinum

The Astras are my current favorite blade, sharp and very forgiving, as are the Lords. The Red Pack Personnas are very comfortable shavers but not as sharp as the other two.

8. Seamaster

Seamaster New Member

My current favourites:

1. Gillette Platinum Plus (aka "Swedes")
    2. Any and all of the Treet brands, especially Trig
    3. Bolzano

9. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Astra Superior Platinum
    7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (yellow box)

Maybe others depending on what razor you're using. If you have a mild razor get more blades know for being very sharp (LORD, Silver Star). If you have an agressive Razor, get more of the "mild" blades (anything Treet that isn't carbon steel).

10. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

There are Red Pack Personnas. that is all.

11. Merkur

Merkur New Member

derby is good for beginners

12. Readerbob

Readerbob New Member

Ditto on the 7 o'clock yellows and Red Pack Personnas. I've gotten very nice shaves from each!

13. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Have tried just three so far

I started off with the Dorco ST-300's that came with my Weishi razor. After a week (and I get 7 shaves from a blade, so far) I switched to a Derby in the same razor. After a week with the Derby, it was no contest; Derby all the way. I am now using a Personna Red in a Gillette Milord. Granted, the razors are different, and I've only had my first shave with the Reds but it was a brilliant shave. Three passes and I had a fantastic shave. So far, the Derbys and Reds are really close and I'll know better which I prefer (if either) after giving those Reds a week's run. I would use the Dorcos again if there wasn't anything else available but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them. I have samples of five or six other brands so I'm really curious.

14. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Feather and Gillette yellows.

15. gagarin

gagarin New Member

Of currently-manufactured blades, Swedes or 7 O'Clock Yellows. My favorites are the Super Iridiums, but they appear to have been discontinued.

Regards,