What Phrases or Words Irritate You?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Aug 18, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Anyone here see phrases they use, listed here? I see a couple myself. "No Problem". :)

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Do you know what I'm saying? Or perhaps the more direct version, "knowwhati'msayin'?"

Or...

What's up? Or perhaps the more direct version, "s'up?"

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes im guilty of several.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Here's a few more for you.

"I could care less"

Okay, so you care somewhat?

"Not for nothing, but..."

So, it must be for something.

"Needless to say, ..."

Then why say it?

mrchick, DaltonGang and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I never understood the logic of "top of mind". On the top of MY mind is my hair. Again, there are other more professionally sounding words meaning the same thing: Paramount, "chief among them"...

6. DaltonGang

I think it refers to "What immediately comes to my mind", and "What's most important among them". Possibly.

7. Paul Turner

Perhaps. But to me, it's one of those, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things. That is, "top of mind" was introduced when it really didn't have to be. (IMO).

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've just caught this thread; my apologies if this phrase has already been mentioned. The one that annoys me is 'a window of opportunity' - Aaaargh! I wonder who first used that phrase and why it caught on, rather than just saying 'an opportunity'.

mrchick likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

oh, that reminds me of another,...."POCKETS of rain headed our way". I think in this sense, "pockets" and "window" are related somehow.

10. Paul Turner

If someone "medals" in an event, the athlete could have finished anywhere from blowing away the field to barely finishing third. To me, it's a matter of logic-stick with the gold, silver, or bronze, announcers!

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A "window of opportunity" is not quite the same as the opportunity. The window is the time (often limited) in which the opportunity will exist.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of several but it depends upon my audience. I'm a team leader of 20 men ranging from 21-50+.

Now, for my hugest peeve.

L. O. L.

Absolutely drives me nuts. For some, it is used in place of a period to end nearly every sentence they write. For many, it's a crutch to convey mirth when they are lacking the right word or phrase.

I'm getting worked up just writing this.

LOL

Bama Samurai and DaltonGang like this.
  13. DaltonGang

This thread isn't necessarily about listing original phrases that irritate us, it's more about just which ones do. If you can think of any original ones, that is just a bonus.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  14. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

"All up in my butt". I've heard this a few times to describe someone or something (pet) being too close in proximity. I recently heard a twenty-something use this phrase while talking to a lady in her seventies. The look on the older lady's face was shock/aghast.

15. DaltonGang

I would have lost it on the kid(verbally). That's just unacceptable.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. dangermouse

I've never heard that one. I'm in stitches of laughter. It's brilliant!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. dangermouse

Aah, but then you have a limited opportunity.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

It's just a more vulgar version of "all up in my business" I guess. And it is irritating to me.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The word "window" in the phrase, however only refers to the time, not the opportunity itself.

Bama Samurai and DaltonGang like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

well technically, what's on top of all of our minds is the cerebral dura. but im just being a mierenneuker.
    @macaronus