What pocket knife do you carry?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by DesertTime, Jun 9, 2017.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I have several pocket knives, but over the past several years the one that makes its way into my pocket most often is my $12 Opinel. How about you?

Marverel, Jim99, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I carry a Leatherman that has a combination of a knife, scissors, screw driver and a bottle/can opener. I would be lost without it.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Buck Spitfire and a Swiss Army Tinker.

Jim99, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Moore Maker Stockman

[​IMG]

Enrico, Hodge, 178-bplatoon and 8 others like this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I carried a Buck Squire for over 20 years. I lost it and bought another, but it was no where near the same quality knife.

6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I carry a little Buck Lancer (305). It's a replacement of same model I carried for over 20 years and lost at Gettysburg by the 20th Maine Company B marker a few years ago.
    I have carried a pocket knife since the 6th grade (try being a kid and do that today).
    My dad always said while growing up in mid 70's, "a man carries a knife, a zippo and handkerchief". It always stuck with me and reminds me I need new handkerchiefs....

Jim99, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I carry a $4-5 ozark trail from Wal-mart so, I don't have to worry if I loose one or break a blade or something. My father used to carry a Case with a bone handle. I thought about trying to find something like that, but I found out #1-it's considered vintage now and 2-one like he carried is almost $200. In the environments I work in and with the staff I supervise the first time I was in a hurry to do something and didn't put it right back in my pocket It'd be gone.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Jim99, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

My father never threw the zippo in the saying, but he carried one with a knife and a handkerchief, along with a watch. Always.

Jim99, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Current favorite is a $4.00 flea market find. Two carbon steel blades that require occasional rub and oil to keep surface corrosion at a minimum.
    My phone takes the place of a watch, always have a bandana in my back pocket. [​IMG]

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

steve207, Hodge, 178-bplatoon and 9 others like this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 10, I honestly don't feel dressed without it. My current knife is a Case 3" drop point with a synthetic handle, great knife, very light, and affordable. Mine is like the pic, minus the John Deere logo.
    Capture case.GIF

BamaT, Hodge, 178-bplatoon and 9 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have carried a pocketknife of some kind with me ever since my mother gave me my first jackknife when I was five. In school, whenever a teacher needed a handy screwdriver or set of scissors or something, he or she would come and borrow my Swiss Army knife. Today, they would send me to the principal's office to be suspended or expelled for "bringing a weapon to school"...

Currently I carry two knives, both in belt sheaths. The first is a pure knife, a Cold Steel Large Shinobu lockback. I bought it in 1982 when it first hit the market. It was the first folding knife Cold Steel made and also the first tanto-point folding knife ever on the market. It has a 3 1/2" blade built like a heavy-duty prybar. I have carried it daily for 35 years. It lives in a cordura belt sheath that threads horizontally along the belt so it is very compact and never in the way.

The second is always some model of Victorinox Swiss Army knife. At the moment, it's a black handled Swisschamp, one of the larger "kitchen sink" models with a small set of pliers included. It rides in a small black nylon Swiss Army belt pouch.

AGHisBBS, MR41, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Depending on the situation I carry multiple different ones, my Opinel is never far behind.
    I also really like what Kershaw puts out.

DesertTime, AGHisBBS, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Since about 1973, I have carried a Swiss Army Tinker. I am on my third one I believe. It is a great all around pocket tool that is not too big.
    [​IMG]

Enrico, BamaT, jason koonce and 10 others like this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I keep a Spyderco Manix 2 lightweight clipped on my right hand pocket.
    IMG_1687.JPG
    And a Case Medium Stockman in Bermuda green in my left pocket.
    IMG_1688.JPG

Enrico, steve207, BamaT and 12 others like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't go anywhere without my knife and a handkerchief. When I do, I feel incomplete and unprepared.

AGHisBBS, RyX, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Usually the Opinel 6 Carbone but more and more it's a Kershaw 1760 Damascus.

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

The Tinker is a great model. For pocket carry, I have usually carried the Soldier - the Swiss army's actual official issue Swiss Army knife since 1953. It's the one with red aluminum scales and four blades - knife, bottle opener, can opener and punch. I got my first one in about 1970 and had it until it fell out of my pocket and got lost during a car crash in 2000. (I didn't miss the totalled off T-Bird at all but I still regret the pocketknife.) I replaced it with a new one and a spare and pocket carry those in situations where the bigger model on the belt is just not appropriate. (And the Cold Steel Shinobu then gets stuffed in a back pocket instead of its belt sheath.)

AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Usually an Opinel or a Laguiole. But lately nothing, since I am traveling a lot, and don't want to hand it over at an airport security check. I always have another Opinel in my suitcase though.

Bobcat likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I carry a Gerber clip knife for most days. At work I carry a SOG multi tool thingie. I also carry a handkerchief or folded bandanna. I agree with @Jayaruh if I go off without either it bugs me.

RyX, Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  20. alongo

alongo New Member

Carry a sog flash 2 with partially separated blade during the week and a microtech ultratech on special occasions. What a knife.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk