What razor? Similar question, different user.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Flying Frenchman, May 25, 2010.

1. So the last thread about what razor you use has inspired a question for me.
    My first razor was the Muhle R106. The balance was perfectly where the logo was stamped. Because of this I like to hold my razors close to the head when I shave, it seems to help with speed and maneuverability.
    My question is, do all razors handle like this? My only other safety razor is the Gillette Slim and it seems to handle similarly.

Are there any particular razors that have this kind of handling that is good for a more choked up grip? Or will I find that most vintage razors are like this?

Sorry for the newb question :D still new to this. Thanks everybody.

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Answers:

1. No. The razor handles differently according to weight distribution in the handle and the head. Example: my open comb m.p. r89 is pretty even in weight distribution. I can hold it as you do, but I prefer to hold it closer to the base of the handle. A long time ago I owned a Lord tech clone. The whole razor was aluminum and very light. I tended to hold it closer to the middle of the handle and actually press a little during the shave.

2. I'm sure there are. You'll have to experiment and see which ones work with that grip.

3. Probably not. "Vintage razor" is a broad term and covers many different razors- so a 30s Tech won't handle like a mid 50s Fatboy. However, I would bet that most Fatboys will handle the same, most Red Tip superspeeds the same, and so on.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Mike speaks wisdom! :1respect

4. Mike does indeed speak wisom :D
    I suppose I'll just have to try every singler razor to find out which works best for me. I have a feeling that combined with straight aquisition my wallet will not be happy for the next few months XD

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

welcome to the Razor Acquisition Disorder club. We're friendly, and we're good at enabling. Is there any razor you were thinking of buying? We'd be glad to encourage you to go for it!

6. Next on the list is a superspeed since I haven't tried those. Also a single ring old type. That's it for now, Im hoping to find something sweet when I stop by Thiers in France when I go visit my grandmother.

If I understand correctly the Blue Tip is the most mild of the superspeeds? While I'm gone on my mission trip, for two years I'll have to shave every day to remain baby face all the time. So I want something that won't be too hard on my ugly mug.

7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hey man, I've got vintage Gillettes that I love and would never part with, but the friendliest shaver I own is a Ming-Shi I picked up for 5 bucks...Chinese copy of a Super-Speed, longer handle, great balance...But the main thing is, this razor is not as well made as my vintage Gillettes, the materials are not as high quality as my vintage Gillettes. But this M-S is the easiest shaver that I can remember using...Its so gentle and user friendly, that it just slides, and glides all over my face, very manuverable, and invites razor buffing and Gillette Slides...and yet no irritation, and always close smooth shaves...I don't understand it, but I'm getting spoiled by the ease and comfort and for now, my better razors are parked in the garage...:))

8. swarden43

:confused:

soooo.... you're getting a better shave with the Ming-Shi

buuuuuut... your "better razors are parked in the garage"

soooo... why isn't the razor that is giving you the better shaves considered your better razor??? :confused::confused:

9. I think what've was trying to sayid that've gets good shaves out of the Ming-Shi, but they aren't what are normally thought of as the better razor. Better refering to higher quality?

10. swarden43

When it comes to shaving, for me the razor that gives the better shave is the better razor. If you've been reading these forums for any length of time, you know that razor A may work great for guy #1. Guy #2 can't stand razor A, but loves razor B. Razor B is an "OK" razor for guy #1, but.... Does that mean razor A is better? or razor B?

I don't care if a bomb can explode on a razor and the razor come out unscathed, if it doesn't give me a good shave, it's not a "better" razor.

Higher cost does not equate to a better razor, either. Bird Lives Ming-Shi, for example.

For me, "Better" is what works for me, hence my :confused: with Bird Lives use of "better".

Here's another way to look at it - What's better: soap or cream? What's better: DE or SE? What's better: Str8 or cartridge?

DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY OF THOSE QUESTIONS. RHETORICAL QUESTIONS ONLY! :D