What size strop do you like?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Slash McCoy, Apr 2, 2020.

?

How long do you like your strop? Actual usable length, not overall.

1. Under 18"

8.3%
  2. 18" to 21"

25.0%
  3. 21" to 24"

50.0%
  4. over 24"

16.7%
  1. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

So what is everyone's favorite strop length? Talking about usable length, i.e. between the bolsters. Myself, I like a very long strop, 30" or so. I am okay with anything like 21" or more but shorter strops kinda cramp my style. OTOH I can see going with a shorty for travel.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like wide strops. Width > length any day. Ss far as length goes, I haven't thought about it.

Slash McCoy likes this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I don’t care for long strops or long hones. I feel that you lose control of the razor at the end of very long strokes.

There’s a well-known character on B&B that I disagree with on many things (he does sell things on Etsy), but I do agree with him that you have better control with a short hone. Maybe that’s why the Japanese barber hone is 136mm long. I’ve also noted that if you use a short hone, you use lighter pressure. Maybe the same for short strokes on a strop?

That said, Alfredo uses the 660mm Kanoyama 90000, which is ~26” long, he has long arms. If you can control the razor at the ends of the stroke, there’s probably no disadvantage to either a long hone or a long strop.

Note: I am not ready to cut my Kanoyamas in half.

gssixgun and Slash McCoy like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Funny topic:

Before I made my Beginner Bench Strops I measured quite a few Vintage strops to get an idea of what they used for a "Usable Length" ie: between the Hardware & Handle or "Usable Surface"
    It seemed that most came out at right about 16"
    That seemed to be a pretty standard length so I went with it.

I just double checked my goto troops and 18" is the longest I have of "Usable surface" it feels pretty comfortable and I do have long arms when buying Jackets and Shirts

I tell you what I don't like

I do not like 3" wide hanging stops, I have always felt they were a bad idea and very few of them don't curl at the edges JMHO

Dr. Matt, Slash McCoy and Steve56 like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I think that I am practically using about 16’ of my 24” long Kanoyama.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My strop has an 18 inch length of usable surface and that works fine for me. The hardware adds a few more inches to the overall length.

7. Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt New Member

I love my 30” and would get every strop that size if available. Prefer 2.5” width but 3” is OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edison Carter likes this.