What soap am I missing?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharpSpine, Dec 26, 2011.

1. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

So 6 months into my wetshaving career and I've almost switched completely from creams to soaps. In another 6 months I could pull another complete 180 and be right back to using creams 6 days/wk. In my brief beginning with soaps I've been able to get some of the better soaps out there from what I read. Tallow, lanolin, shea butter all seem to work well for me and I really like/need the moisturizing effects. Now I'd like you to tell me which one I just can't go another day without lathering and putting all over my mug!

Here's what I have currently:
    MWF in ceramic dish
    De Vergulde Hand - tablet and 2 sticks (of different formulations too)
    Provence Sante Green Tea
    Cella
    RazoRock XXX - on the way, haven't used it yet
    Arko

If interested here are my creams:
    TSD Wheat
    Speick
    CO Bigelow / Proraso / Omega
    Musgo Real
    Godrej
    Dettol

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I like the Proraso soap - particularly the sensitive skin version in the white container. Though I find myself doing the opposite TBH and seem to be moving towards creams from soaps LOL. I'd also suggest trying out Tabac and Erasmic :)

SharpSpine likes this.
  3. SharpSpine

I've thought about the Proraso soap, but I'm very interested in things I haven't used yet. Remember, I'm new to this and I enjoy trying new things. The Tabac is definitely at the top of my short list. I have yet to look at Erasmic though I have heard of it.

4. dinatali

dinatali Well-Known Member

Martin De Candre , Tabac , TOBS lavender or Sandelwood , la toja stick , L Occitane Cade

DLreno, SharpSpine and Hanzo like this.
  5. SharpSpine

MdC is too pricey for me right now, but I think I'll eventually try it.
    L'Occitane Cade I can get locally so I may when I'm at that mall again.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I know you have RR XXX coming, but at some point, try their artisan soaps. All but one (shea butter) is tallow based and at $9....I mean, come on. ;)

If you're familiar with AdP, then you know RR, as RR is a rebrand of AdP. You can't go wrong with any of the scents and the lather will make you giddy.

EDIT: QCS are nice as well.

SharpSpine likes this.
  7. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Mama Bears, Queen Charlotte, & The Shave Den all make great artisan soaps. Definitely worth a try.

La Toja, Palmolive, Valobra, and Irisch Moos shave sticks are all awesome.

Also, track down a puck of vintage Williams and vintage Old Spice soaps. They just don't make them like that anymore.

DLreno and SharpSpine like this.
  8. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

You've got some good performers already for soaps. Of the ones you have, I've tried MWF, Cella, and RazoRock XXX. You might want to give D.R. Harris soaps a try. For me, Arlington is the top soap, beating MWF by just a little bit. The lather is dense and slick.

SharpSpine likes this.
  9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Something Trumpers, something Harris, something Mama Bears, something Kells, Palmolive stick, Valobra Stick, Tabac/Irisch Moos, something RazoRock Artisan, Speick, something C&E, Cade is ok I suppose...

Proraso is ok, I don't count the tubs as actual soap though and I would steer past Erasmic sticks....

SharpSpine and CyanideMetal like this.
  10. Neolithium

I know I've been lurking around eBay lately for vintage Old Spice soaps with the mug. Only one available right now and there's some intense bidding, already had to convince the wife to let me bid on the FatBoy, not going to push it with a $30 mug of soap lol.

IIRC there were some decently priced pucks of Williams vintage though.

SharpSpine likes this.
  11. Sodapopjones

If you want something that's pretty close to vintage, go buy D.R. Harris Almond or Lavender and let it sit out for a bit till it loses its scent haha...

SharpSpine likes this.
  12. Neolithium

TBH with the way the vintage soap prices are lately, I'm 99% certain I'd just get one of the old spice mugs and call it a day, they seem to be nice and affordable and the bulk of them available are in reasonable condition. Only have to keep an eye out though as some people use the old coffee mugs instead of shaving mugs in their auction :angry019:

SharpSpine and CyanideMetal like this.
  13. Sodapopjones

Well Harris isn't that expensive, my Lavender is well over a year old and I'm starting to finally like it haha.

SharpSpine likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Any TSD. I started with a purchase of about five or six sample scents. Now I just go for it and get full size refills.
    Tabac.
    TOBS. I have lavender and sandalwood and like them both.

SharpSpine likes this.
  15. SharpSpine

Excellent replies so far gentleman. The list in my head is definitely being confirmed.

How does the RazoRock XXX compare to the LOA soaps from them, other than different scents? Phil gave me a sample of the XXX with a recent purchase & after 1 lather I knew I'd be getting it. I thought about the LOA Boston Tea Party but I wasn't sure how different it was from XXX & after all I'm in the research phase & wanting to try different products.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a favorite of mine that you can get from Gary over at Shoebox. Jeff (Crackstar) hit one out of the park when he suggested this!
    It is also one of the best dollar for dollar values even at regular price. On sale, even better!

[​IMG]

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/fitness.html

SharpSpine likes this.
  17. SharpSpine

I've heard of this before and heard mention that it's very similar to something else, though I can't recall at the moment what that something else was.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is Jeff's write up on it.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...almond-you-love-this-stuff.25275/#post-438631

SharpSpine likes this.
  19. SharpSpine

Yeah, that's it. It's similar to Cella and since I've got that (and plenty of it left) I think I'll wait on trying the Fitness soap. Thanks for the recommendation though!

20. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

A very good artisan soap line is Renaissance Man. It makes a great, thick lather.. fast, and smells great.

SharpSpine likes this.