What to do with this one?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by entropy1049, Sep 10, 2014.

1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Just picked this razor up at an antique swap meet. Set me back $7.50...I didn't bother to dicker. I haven't seen much info on the W&B "Celebrated Congress" but it seems like a good candidate for some degree of restoration.

The scales had contracted enough over the years I did have to make a new lead wedge. I used some bulls-eye washers as I didn't have any replacements for the thin grommet type washers it was equipped with originally, and didn't want to damage the originals during the re-assembly process as they are pretty delicate. I did of course keep all of the original materials, and I'm sure someone with more skills than I could re-incorporate the original wedge/pins/washers.

So, what says the Peanut Gallery? Is this worth shelling out more money for a legit top end restoration, or should I call it a day, hone it up, and get to shavin' with it?

[​IMG]

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would hone it and use it. If it turns out that your really love it, then send it for a spa treatment.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

One of those sold on ebay for $150 and it was in worse condition than yours...

entropy1049 likes this.
  4. entropy1049

That is excellent, logical, and practical advice.

Please leave TSD immediately. :D

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I know what I'd do with it.
    Nice deal—and glad to hear you didn't lowball the seller & offer $3.50….:D

I like Dale's advice of taking it for a hone & a spin and see if its something to add to your stable. If not, rest assured you'll find a buyer. Heck, I'd even pay you double what you paid! :D:D

macaronus and entropy1049 like this.
  6. entropy1049

Thanks Kevin-it's good to know you're looking out for me!

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mike, in all seriousness, that is ONE real nice score! I don't think I'd attempt it myself but I'd certainly send it to a pro to 'spruce up.' Plenty of real potential in that razor….
    And yeah, that'd possibly fly in the $300-400 range on ebay if you wished to part with it

entropy1049 likes this.
  8. entropy1049

It is kind of an "odd duck", I've seen the scales in a photo before, but not on a blade that was engraved "Congress". I always do my own restorations since I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay for them (leaves me more capital for more razors!), but I have a nagging suspicion this one may be worth the indulgence.

Now to find a Resto-meister who's got time to do it...

9. razornut

razornut New Member

Good. God man what kind of question is that..... Give it to meeeee!!!!!!

entropy1049 likes this.
  10. entropy1049

I've called in the cavalry and enlisted the services of gssixgun to take care of this baby. I'll post pix when it's back in my grubby mitts. I suspect it will be a thing of beauty when he's done with it.

HolyRollah and macaronus like this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I think sending it to Glen was definitely the right thing to do.
    I'm quite certain that what you will get back will be a treasure,
    and I would definitely shave with it!

Also, I think that this razor qualifies as an important item with very serious
    "pass along" potential. What I mean is, I would want this 100+ year old beauty
    to be passed to someone who will appreciate the fact that you enjoyed owning and using it.
    Hopefully you've a likely candidate in your family.

I hope you will post pictures of your fancy shaver after it makes it's way back to you.

entropy1049 likes this.
  12. entropy1049

Sadly, the traced family line ends with me...the last of a long line of single male heirs, and I've only managed to produce one daughter. However, My dearest friend in the world happened to name his son after me, and he stands to inherit any treasures I will leave behind in this life. He'll make out pretty good considering all he had to do was to bear my name his entire life :sad038: (poor bastard...)

Bristle Me, PanChango and macaronus like this.
  13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Excellent score! And Gary is the man to fix it! Man, you're in for a treat! :happy088:

PanChango and entropy1049 like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

So is Glen. :)

macaronus and entropy1049 like this.
  15. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

We can only hope that went your through, it will work better than our present CONGRESS!!!

entropy1049 likes this.
  16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would have it restored. Nice find

entropy1049 likes this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Oops! Thanks for the heads-up and sorry Glen! :ashamed001: Dumb and Dumber are smarter than me... :(

entropy1049 and PanChango like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent, Mike! I really look forward to seeing how this one transforms! :happy088:

entropy1049 likes this.
  19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Glen will enjoy doing this one, cant wait to see it

entropy1049 likes this.
  20. voryzen

voryzen New Member

who does the restorations on razors? i'd like to restore my Grandfather's old bengall..