What was your Dad's shaving kit?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Mar 28, 2018.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Old Spice Mug with soap
    Eveready or Old Spice Brush
    Gillette DE I don't think it was adjustable I seem to remember Wilkerson Sword being his blades of choice
    Aftershave in order that he liked them #1 Aqua Velva - #2 Mennen - #3 Old Spice Original - #4 Royall Bay Rhum

I remember the Clickity Click of his shaving brush making lather in the mug :)

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

phillips electric

RyX, MacDaDad and Keithmax like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

When I was a a kid, I recall my father using a DE razor. But, since I was a kid about 2 million years ago, I have no idea what brand or model the razor was.

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Since dirt was young, he used a puck of williams in an Old Spice mug with an old mixed knot Century. When the knot finally disintegrated, he replaced that with a Vulfix 404. I never saw my father use anything other than a cartridge or disposable. He preferred the Fusion.

He told me that he had some bad times with a DE razor in his younger days, but the injector wasn't so bad. When I offered, he really had no interest.

Shaver X, RyX, MacDaDad and 3 others like this.
  5. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I can only remember my dad using electric razors. Norelcos, if I remember correctly. Probably because his hands shook too much for a conventional razor. When I started shaving, I went with a Schick injector because it was cheaper than an electric, and I used my hay-bailing money to buy it.

RyX, MacDaDad, jeraldgordon and 2 others like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

He did not have near the supplies we have today, at Christmas we would usually get him aftershave, Williams soap or old Spice soap in a mug. Mom usally bought Wilkinson sword blades when grocery shopping. Life seemed simpler back then because less to choose from and then he slowly changed to cartridges.... And foam....
    20180407_110502_crop_703x891.jpg

RyX, MacDaDad, jeraldgordon and 3 others like this.
  7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Mine uses those pink Daisy disposable razors and Barbasol. I remember trying one of those razors once when I was out of carts for my Gillette Sensor and they were pretty awful. I honestly dont know how he shaves with those things every day.

RyX, MacDaDad, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  8. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Gillette slim adjustable
    Can of shave cream
    Old Spice AS
    no frills

RyX, MacDaDad, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Remington electric razor, then a Norelco electric.

RyX, MacDaDad and Keithmax like this.
  10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I distinctly remember that my dad used a TTO Flare Tip Gillette, probably a Rocket as I grew up in England, for years and that every Christmas I would buy him a bottle of Old Spice (and/or Brylcreem hair product!) with money my mom would give me. As a kid I was always fascinated with how the doors opened!

He's been gone since 1989 though and although I had many opportunities to snag his old razor, somehow I never did.

I don't think he was still using the razor (or the Old Spice!) in his later years and was perfectly happy with cartridge razors and any after shave I'd send him from the USA.

He also used a Boots (a high street UK chemist/pharmacy) boar shaving brush that I do still have. It looks much like this one...

[​IMG]

11. Jack19

Jack19 Member

Gillette Super Speed with a can of foam.

12. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

All I remember from my dad was a Norelco electric razor with three heads. He died in '76 when I was 8 so I wan't rel interested in the rest of it.

My wife's Grandfather has a straight razor and a Rolls Razor when we cleaned out his estate. I have both of those items now. I will eventually use the straight once I practice honing on lesser garage sale finds.

RyX, MacDaDad, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

My Dad is 85. He has two razors one Hoffritz slant and one Hoffritz open comb as a travel razor. These replaced a Gillette he lost when travelling to the US in the early 60’s. His soap is a bar of Simple, lathers with his hand , never a brush. Nivea moisturiser to follow. It’s been his routine for decades. Eau Sauvage is his finish. He insists that slants are better but the travel razor “does” for a week or two.
    He views shaving as a necessary start to the day that sets him up.
    On cold or hot water shaves...hot by preference but cold if it’s not available but shave regardless

14. Artlogon

Artlogon Well-Known Member

My dad used to shave with a can of Edge and Gillete Atra razor.

No AS nothing, just deodorant and EDP if going to a big event.

Pretty simple.

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

RyX and MacDaDad like this.
  15. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

My dad, always the Gillette man. He always had no less than 4 razors tucked away, with superspeed non flare, flare tip, and fatboys. His soap was from Old Spice puck in the cup, to Williams, and lots of brushless Noxema, Colgate and Old Spice to Noxema aerosol. His aftershave was "Always" Old Spice and little by little to the Lime, Musk and then Leather but always Old Spice. Yet I knew that he sneaked my Palmolive aftershave from time to time, I could smell it as he rushed out the door for work. ;) My dad had the scruffiest looking boar hair brush in the whole world. The brush always slanted to one side, and while missing almost half of it's bristles but he could make that thing lather if need be.

I miss those days of shooting the shit breeze while he shaved. It seems like that's the only time we had together. Work came first, and work was very long days / evenings. But we ate good. :)

RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't have a clear memory of dad shaving. Grew up in what had been an old farm house with a bedroom converted to a large bathroom. On school/work mornings the whole family would be in the bathroom at the same time. When he became aware of my wet shaving he gave me two Schick Krona. I've tried them but too mild for my preference. Wilkinson Sword blades got hard to find, so he switched to disposables and never went back.

MacDaDad likes this.
  17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Dad used to used a Gem Micromatic OC (it's on my shelf now) Gem Blades, Williams soap Boar brush, In 1958 Brother and I bought him a Gillette Fatboy for his birthday. He used it till 1986.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    MacDaDad likes this.
  18. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

My dad used a Remington electric (plug-in). He passed it on to me as a teen. Used for a week, maybe less. It just didn’t do anything.

MacDaDad and Ron R like this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

My father used a DE TTO but can't remember about it except it was heavy and the knurling was pretty good. Otherwise, he would use canned Barbosol and I think he used Old Spice AS. Later in life when his health was deteriorating and Upton his death he used some electric shaver.

MacDaDad likes this.
  20. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Dad used an Avon Shaving mug, once he switched from Williams to Barbasol, the mug sat alone in the medicine cabinet for many years until he gave it to me. The smell of Barbasol triggers lots of childhood memories. He had a black handled TTO, probably a Gillette. I know his aftershave changed all the time, but he never used Aqua Velva, which he thought was for alcoholics who wanted to smell good.